Titles on non-17 digit VINs | FerrariChat

Titles on non-17 digit VINs

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by 330gt, Apr 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Last August, I finally got around to titling the PF coupe in WA. Of course, I registered it as a collector vehicle using a restored plate.

A couple of weeks ago, I was putting some documents in the safe. I didn't remember getting the coupe title and in checking, it was not in the folder.

I called WA DOL today and some actually answered (after the phone tree of course) in a short time. She checked and found that the title was in limbo because it didn't have a 17-digit VIN. She had to send over a request to have the title pushed through. So, hopefully I'll get it in the 2-3 week time estimate.

If you have recently titled an old car or plan to, be sure you get the title!

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you for the work you do, Kerry.

A reminder: this varies by state. PA had no problem with my 4-digit VIN for my 330. Vermont won't issue a title for a car that's over 15 years old.

Matt

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't remember how they did my 308 years ago but I seem to remember the clerk at my local licensing agent being confounded by it only having a 5 digit serial number and no VIN. :)

dinogt4guy likes this.
  4. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I still haven’t licensed the Outlaw 308, I had assumed it had a rebuilt title and the 5k purchase price was a nonissue, well it’s a clean title and they want taxes based on 80k, I have to appeal to department of revenue

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I bought a car in Washington that didn't have a 17 digit VIN. We had a minor title issue on that one, but it had nothing to do with the VIN. The VIN went through fine. It helps that I bought it from a dealer who deals with the Washington Department of Licensing all the time, though.

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Gotta get that tax!!

7. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    I had a similar issue with the coupe price. I bought the car about 20 years ago and had the bill of sale from back then. The car was totally apart, needing a complete restoration when I bought it. The licensing office person said that he couldn't use that price. Then he asked if the seller was a dealer. I was able to call and get the seller's CA dealer license number. That went into the paperwork and I paid the tax on the 20 year old purchase price. 10s of thousands of dollars difference in the tax. Of course the state has gotten lots of sales tax dollars on the restoration costs the last few years.

So, if you bought from a dealer, go back with the appropriate information and try again. A lot less time and hassle than an appeal.

8. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Of course, this was a specific problem here in WA. It may be a Covid related issue with limited staffing then.

9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    There is a form you can fill out to only pay taxes on the purchase price. If you have any problems, let me know, there is a DMV satellite office in E Vancouver that will accept the paperwork.

Jdubbya likes this.
  10. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    As a follow-up, the new title came in a week

dinogt4guy and Jdubbya like this.