Rally driving etiquette in Canada | FerrariChat

Rally driving etiquette in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by slm, May 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I am participating in a vintage Porsche rally in about 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies - Lake Louise, Jesaper, etc. What might I expect as far as police presence, “reasonable “ rally speeds without getting into too much trouble, etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Steve,

Lake Louis, Jasper, etc are all within the Province of Alberta (AB) where the highways are policed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The RCMP tend to be very strict with speed limits and so on average 10 to 15 km/h (6 - 9 mph) over the posted speed limit is OK, but beyond that it is highly dependent upon the RCMP patrolling, the amount of highway traffic, and how close they are to meeting their monthly ticket "quota" :(. Also, many of the highways are smaller secondary highways and so speed limits can be variable and lower than the main highways, so watch the posted speed limits signs often. If you cross into the next Province over (BC) (which shares the Rockies with AB), their laws allow the RCMP to impound or confiscate your vehicle if the RCMP consider your speeding excessive and/or driving without care... which is all based upon the discretion of the RCMP officer. Consequently, spirited driving is a gamble and if anything it should not be sustained, otherwise you could have an unpleasant day. Lastly, road conditions can also be variable as you enter the Rockies and it is not uncommon to encounter snow or mixed rain/snow at this time of year, or freezing/almost freezing temps at night or morning, and so do not assume that your tires will grip as you would normally expect.

Enjoy your drive and time in the Rockies, as it is very beautiful with lots to see. Have a great and safe trip!

Cheers,

Sam

speedcat and slm like this.
  3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Sam, thanks so much. Just the kind of info I was looking for. I have pretty spoiled here in the Ozark mountains - very sparsely patrolled and very remote. You comments are what I have heard from local law enforcement - eight you’re great, nine you’re mine.

4. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Careful, even in Alberta 50 over gets you a automatic court date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slm likes this.
  5. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Also note, you will be travelling through wild life areas/National Parks where speed is 90km/h and highly enforced. Your drive will take you through a very beautiful part of the world (I am biased as I am born and raised in nearby Calgary, Alberta). Enjoy!

slm likes this.
  6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Yep. I am so looking forward to this rally!!!

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Steve,

You are very welcome! I am sure you will have a great experience!

As nismodrifter said, there is a lot of wildlife around (bears, deer, mountain goats, etc) that are at times right next to the highway and so you have to be highly attentive and slow down, as these animals can become easily spooked and run across your path and so drive very, very cautiously if you see any close by. Secondly, under no circumstances should you approach the wildlife. For some reason there are some that think bears are cute... well... they are at a distance, but up close they will literally tear you to shreds.
    Ensure you take and post up some pics.
    Cheers,
    Sam

slm likes this.
  8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Sam, points well taken. Wildlife wonderful to look at, but it’s not a petting zoo!!! We will be crossing up into Canada next Saturday morning - considered yourselves warned!!! Will post some pics along the way.

9. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Slm,
    I live on the other side of the Great White North but I can tell you that you’re in for a great time!
    This area is beautiful!
    Enjoy to the fullest!

slm likes this.
  10. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks to all for the info. Was very helpful. We had an amazing time. Probably the best rally I have ever done. Spectacular scenery is an understatement. Only one ticket the first day - driver got pulled over for 120kph in a 90. Mounts was very nice and gave home the minimum fine.

Day one - Whitefish MT to Lake Louise
    Day two - Lake Louise to Jasper via the Icefields parkway. Although the shortest leg, most of us stopped at all the points of interest so took all day. Probably the most beautiful day of driving EVER.
    Day three - Jasper to Salmon arm.
    Day four - Salmon Arm to Nelson. Best driving day. The section from Lumby to the Needles ferry was sublime. Very tight and twisty.
    Day five - Nelson back to Whitefish.

Saw lots of wildlife. Weather was pretty nice overall. I had the top down almost all the way. A warm jacket and the Porsche puts out a lot of heat which made top down driving very pleasant and made for much better viewing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Salmon arm to Nelson is an amazing route indeed. Sounds like fun was had.

slm likes this.
  12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have done a lot of rallys. Best one yet and will be hard to beat!

samsaprunoff likes this.
  13. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Nice pics. The scenery is outstanding and you guys missed the heavy traffic of the summer months.

slm likes this.