Guess the Car game | Page 348 | FerrariChat

Guess the Car game

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by writerguy, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ??? :confused:
    You were getting warmer just yesterday.

#6: The frame upside down (this is the side one would see when observing it under the body).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #7: First year this manufacturer offered a 3-spd automatic transmission. It was introduced in the middle of the production year.

While this example was originally built with 2-spd, the client/owner (living in Paris and whom I’ve never met or spoken with) insisted I convert it to 3-spd, which I’ve done before in similar cars, but this one is a bit trickier due to his (another) insistence of the transmission being date matched for the year*.

*First & internally one year only, allegedly originally wrought with so many problems the manufacturer was forced to re-design/-engineer almost all internal components and parts.
    Having fair amount of experience with the re-designed (following years) models of this transmission, but never (before) even seen this “first year” model, after finding, disassembling and studying (i.e. reverse engineering, etc) one + discovering that nobody has any extra/spare or even some of the service parts, I made the client aware that if I attempt to rebuild/restore it (which he insisted I do) I can’t guarantee whether it will even work and if it does, how long.
    Oh well, I guess we’ll see when it’s all back together…

MK1044 likes this.
  3. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    If it’s not a Cadillac I am tapping out. Ahh you got me

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Imperial, split-off from Chrysler to compete with Cadillac.

TTR likes this.
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Lincoln? The rear ended looks like a Ford 8”.

Matt

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :)
    Year ?

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    1955?

TTR likes this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  10. colombo2cam

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    1960 Imperial ??

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Close, but no cigar…

… and here I thoughts this was going to be “easy”. :oops:

12. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Maserati Indy and Ghibli said "don't forget us" ;)

Smiles likes this.
  13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    late 50's early 60's Chrysler 'letter car'; 300G, 300F or similar 413 long ram

TTR likes this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Good eyes, but since it was available in two model years only, pick one.
    Here’s the “mill”, right after dyno testing, but prior to pending refreshening overhaul. Care to guess results ?

MK1044 and Santiago Montenegro like this.
  15. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "I'll take 1960 for $100 Alex......."
    No visual clues for std or optional motor, so equal or beat rated HP? 375? More? Less?

colombo2cam and TTR like this.
  16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    1960 is correct.
    Factory or perhaps more specifically, their marketing dept. claimed 375 HP and 495 ft.lbs on “Standard” engine like this.
    This engine was allegedly “rebuilt” (i.e. as I like to say “… or whatever the f**k that means ?”) 15+ years ago with below minimal recorded information.
    Current owner acquired her 11 years ago, has driven about 4K miles, but only locally as he’s never had enough confidence in her to go anywhere long distance and I was asked to change all that.
    I just took the opportunity to dyno the engine to get some real world reference before going through it, after which it’ll be broken in and tested again on the dyno, before installation.
    Recent test pre-overhaul/-rebuild results revealed 315 HP and 482 ft.lbs. without air cleaners or stock exhaust (all variations will be tested afterwards).
    According to the owner, the car also spent two extended (+/-6 months each) visits at a transmission shop somewhere in L.A. area in last three years and was flatbedded from there to mine as he had lost all confidence in their abilities.
    This lack of confidence proved correct, since soon after receiving the car I hooked up my test gauges (their hoses seen in the picture, coming up the front fender and entering through the vent window) and went for test drive during which the transmission started exhibiting abnormal governor pressure readings, grinding noises and eventually quit up shifting, etc.

tritone and colombo2cam like this.
  17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "their marketing dept. claimed 375 HP and 495 ft.lbs on “Standard” engine"
    Wha? Optimistic claims by marketing? Who'd a thunk...? (based on 40 years of marketing exp.....)

My '56 354 2x4 bbls. is lucky to achieve 200 HP on a good day......rated @280.....by marketing...

TTR likes this.
  18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    If your 354" with 2 x 4bbl is a true "300 B" engine it was (allegedly) rated at 340 HP and 385 ft.lbs.

I'm also preparing (in the near future) to dyno test the aforementioned '56 Imperial's engine, 354" w/single WCFB, originally (allegedly) rated at 280 HP and 380 ft.lbs.
    While this Imperial engine was "fully rebuilt" (again,"or whatever the f*** that means ?") right before the client purchased the car (advertised & priced with "freshly rebuilt engine !") and prior to my involvement with him or the car, it had zero hours, but the overall workmanship on everything, including the engine “rebuild”(???) was what would be best described as "hack job", rendering all those efforts useless and forcing us (or more specifically, me) to start over from scratch.
    I'm quite interested to see the results on that one too and sure the client is also. ;)

MK1044 likes this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #8694 TTR, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    A couple of hints ^^ :
    By the model year of the pictured example, this American manufacturer had been producing automobiles for half a century and while the brand officially went defunct couple of years earlier, this was its second to last year model in production.

MK1044 likes this.
  21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I guess there's not that many vintage car "experts"(?) looking at this thread, although, I admittedly chose somewhat more difficult or obscure examples for the quiz and don't wish to spoon-feed answers too easily.

Another hint: The engine & transmission for this year/make/model cars were originally "borrowed" from another, at the time also failing and soon (= in couple of years) to be defunct brand that had been manufacturing cars commonly known synonymous with high quality and luxury since the previous century.

MK1044 likes this.
  22. colombo2cam

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Oldsmobile and Pontiac are they the brands?

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While both are now defunct brands, the ones in my quiz went out over 6 decades ago. ;)
    Thanks for trying.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The cars so far have been mostly European and often one-off creations.

Not drivetrain pics. It’s not called “Guess the Drivetrain” but you could start your own thread.

Matt

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    10-4
    Since I haven't taken many "European, one-off creation" pictures I can share, I'll leave you to it then.