Dino rip off, need advice | FerrariChat

Dino rip off, need advice

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoSteve, May 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    Hi Gang,

I just bought a '73 'almost a Ferrari' Dino 246GTS. I bought it sight unseen from a "very reputable dealer" that said there was nothing wrong with it other than it needed a new insert for the peg for the targa top and the seats needed stiching repair. It wasn't represented to me as a Pebble Beach entrant, but the following things were not mentioned.
    1) Seats need to be completely repaired
    2) The heater didn’t work
    3)Tach bounces all over
    4) The horn didn’t work
    5) Fuel line that was dangerously leaking
    6) Windshield wipers didn’t work
    7) White paint and discoloration on windshield wiper arms
    8) The A/C didn’t work
    9) Window latch is off
    10) Inside light on driver side
    11) Vent cover left
    12) Rug in trunk
    13) Broken snap in trunk
    14) Chrome on right reflector
    15) Liner on windshield
    16) Assembly of the 3 levers are hanging off
    17) White on windshield wiper arm
    18) Fan in right front is noisy needs replacing
    19) Speakers made holes in both interior side panels
    20) Stitching and scratches on steering wheel
    21) Material in window runners is frayed and ripped
    22) Paint job Bubbling off on engine cover and collected in many crevices

If anybody has any suggestions to what I should do, it would be immensely appreciated.
    Also, is the targa top on a Dino supposed to be gloss black or flat black.

I paid $445,000 for a car worth $380,000 according to some reliable, knowledgeable people here

Thanks, for taking the time to read this.
    Steve

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    As long as it’s a solid car, the items you listed are relatively minor. You can probably fix most of the items yourself. Forget the money and enjoy the car. “Knowledgeable sources” should be taken with a grain of salt. I bought mine sight unseen and got a great car that just needed a bit of refurbishment. The prices have been all over recently, so once again don’t think you got screwed, rather enjoy the journey you have in front of you. Life is short and there are plenty of basket case cars that you most likely avoided.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Don't be surprised now if you haven't personally inspected the car prior to the purchase!!
    Whoever spends $ 445 K and doesn't do the homework first should not complain later.
    Also called due diligence.

Marcel Massini

dudlow, V4NG0, paulchua and 59 others like this.
  4. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Appreciate it for the rolling artwork it is. I bought my BBi also sight unseen, and after a stressful month of cataloging all the missing parts and work to be done, I got over it. Post some pictures!

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tell the seller you are not happy with the car and return it.

Grandmaster, Wrencher and ryalex like this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Was the dealer’s description of the car’s condition in writing? Were you dealing with the dealership owner, a salesman, or a broker?

john a barnes likes this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Geez, I got a a PPI on my 360 that cost a fraction of that. Why on earth did you not get one? Even the best dealer in the world is not going to know everything wrong with a car.

brookliner7, jnunberg and Jakuzzi like this.
  8. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I think if the sales contract says "As Is/Where Is", and no in person inspection was done, it gets kinda difficult to fight without deep pockets. Like Skippr9999 said, these are in the grand scheme of the car minor items that would be expected in a car that old, the court would take that under advisement, and so I think it may be tough to claim the vehicle as misrepresented. Now, if they said that all those items called out specifically in the ad or specific paperwork worked perfectly, then that is a different story. You can get minor wins there, but is it worth the $25k additional for the lawyer? It is still a fight though. It's just my opinion, and the OP is rightfully upset, but I would just spend the money fixing those items and make it perfect, exactly like Enzo would have wanted.

paulchua and ryalex like this.
  9. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Why not put a deposit down subject to viewing car in person?

paulchua, Jet Set Jester and Jakuzzi like this.
  10. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Your options are simple.

First, you can accept the car as it is and spend the money to restore it to your satisfaction. You couldn't have spent the money on a $250 plane ticket to inspect a car that you're about to plunk down nearly a half mil for?

Second, you can consult with a lawyer to see if the seller misrepresented the car in such a way that you would have a chance of winning a legal action.

Grandmaster and Jakuzzi like this.
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Sorry about the issues, but...I'm always surprised & amazed that any person spending $50K or more...i.e. $445K does not do their *due diligence - does not put any time or effort into getting a PPI on a car, or inspection of art, antiques, etc, and buys sight unseen accepting the dealer, sales person, gallery owner, etc at their "word." And then are surprised or disappointed when the item purchased has any issues and does not meet their expectations. It's a 1973 Ferrari Dino, not a "Pebble Beach entrant" restored to better than new, so these things are to be expected. As Skippr1999 said, "Forget the money and enjoy the car."

* "Doing Your Due Diligence

Due diligence has been used since at least the mid-fifteenth century in the literal sense “requisite effort.” Centuries later, the phrase developed a legal meaning, namely, “the care that a reasonable person takes to avoid harm to other persons or their property”; in this sense, it is synonymous with another legal term, ordinary care. More recently, due diligence has extended its reach into business contexts, signifying the research a company performs before engaging in a financial transaction. This meaning may also apply to individuals: people are often advised to perform their due diligence before buying a house, signing a loan, or making any important purchase." i.e. a 1973 Ferrari for $445,000

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I hate to tell you this but some of these are chronic problems or normal wear and tear if you use it just a little.

I’m not making excuses but Dinos of the 1970’s are nothing like todays modern cars. Stuff on them break all the time or appear to be less than perfect— because they were made that way.

Rule number 1: your idea of “excellent condition” and an expert’s opinion can be two different things.

13. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    #13 DinoSteve, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Hi Gang,

Due Diligence.
    I wasn't going to fly cross country during a pandemic, this was in October and I'm no youngster so I won't take any chances. As you know in this Ferrari world, reputation is everything!! I bought it from a dealer in Florida that that has been in business 30 or more years, and he got it from a dealer in California that has been around for 40 years. If I published the names of their dealerships, you would know them and be very surprised. The person that told me about the dealer in Florida is a great friend, he went to my (second) wedding. I certainly understand due diligence, but sometimes you just gotta trust people. (Maybe not)
    It's a shame some people are crooks.

LARRYH, Adamas and Texas Forever like this.
  14. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    This is only my 3rd Ferrari including a 275GTB/4 I sold 12 years ago. This car needs significant work to the tune of $60,000+ I don't have deep pockets like alot of you guys. In fact I sold a '62 XKE and '59 Porsche D to buy this Dino. When it first came off the trailer and I inspected it I knew I got ripped off. I just didn't realize how badly until I really got it out this spring, it hibernated all winter. I raced S2000 Lolas for 15 years so this Dino is as close to a race car as I'm gonna get!!
    I love the car, I will certainly enjoy it, but just like everybody else I just don't like getting ripped off.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yes, but it's a reality. I'm not even saying they were crooks though. That car is 50 years old, and no matter what the value, there will always be some wear, patina, etc. What may be acceptable to someone else for a car that old may not be acceptable to you. It really is up to the buyer to make that call and spend that amount of money. It's not like the motor had a knock and they filled it with ATF to hide it. Any of those things would be able to be uncovered by a third party inspection, which is what I would have done (and did) if I was unable to make the trip to see the car first hand. You can contact the shop and see if they may help with some of the repairs, and they may...or may not. But at the end of the day, you have a badass Dino. It may need a little elbow grease but it's a good opportunity to get to know the car.

At any rate, congrats on the purchase. You're one of the lucky few.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Let’s see some pictures of this heap of trash ! ;)
    Welcome and you’ll get it sorted.

As soon as you mentioned Florida and Dealer……LOL

17. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I found Skipp his Dino, and just by having a private photographer go over the car, and us grill the owner to answer specific questions, we were able to nab a solid specimen. But it wasn’t without faults. He dove in as any new owner and (is still?) making it his and sorting things here and there. It’s been quite a few years! These are old cars, at the end of the day.

Crack a beer, hit the garage door, and gaze upon the wonder. I HOPE I’m in your shoes someday. Give me a hooptie 246. I’m all in.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It won't help that you have waited months to sort this out. Did you contact the dealer and tell them of the issues when you took delivery?

Grandmaster, Jack-the-lad and 375+ like this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've bought most of my (much less expensive) cars without seeing them but requested specific photos and videos. (which I think could have revealed most of what is noted here)

For nearly half a million however I would let someone sneeze covid directly into my face and ride my mountain bike cross country to see it in person :)

Given the age of the car and the amount of time that has passed I don't think there's anything you could really do other than drive it as-is and fix it as time and funds permit.

20. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Most of the items on your list seem to be in the wear/tear category, and many of these can be corrected/restored by any good restorer, or yourself. I don't see mention of too many powertrain issues, which is good. If such becomes an issue, MAKE SURE you use someone with a known, solid reputation specific to Dinos. I bought an L-series in '01, also without personal inspection or PPI, which almost immediately needed an engine rebuild along with cam lobes. This was done by a highly recommended local outfit in Reno (where I lived at the time). This proved to be a disaster, with all the work eventually needing to be redone (correctly this time), by Juan Villarreal at Grand Prix Motors in Campbell, CA, a true Dino expert. I would imagine there are similarly renowned people to do this work on the East Coast, when/if it becomes necessary. Good luck and enjoy your car!

paulchua likes this.
  21. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The Dino was never meant to be a race car. If you wanted a race car as I see it you purchased the wrong car.
    Even with COVID you should have inspected the vehicle. Trust no one. Lesson learnt.

john a barnes and Grandmaster like this.
  22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    By any chance did this Florida dealer also include Classiche as part of the deal?

I'd recommend immediately getting a thorough inspection so you can see just how big the iceberg is. I hate to say it but most often these "little things" are red flags that there are more "bigger things".

375+ and jm2 like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Steve, that list doesn’t sound so bad. Fix it up, and enjoy the car!

UroTrash, SirTony76 and Grandmaster like this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Was the dealer a Ferrari franchise or an independent?

DinoSteve likes this.
  25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Replace all fuel lines, fluids ,brakes,tyres then just drive the thing .

Ohh and check carefully for rust..

DinoSteve, paulchua and Skippr1999 like this.