SF 90 Harry's Garage | FerrariChat

SF 90 Harry's Garage

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, May 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Interested in hearing SF90 owner responses to this review.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    It was a bit of a mixed review, but Harry generally seems to say what he thinks without any pressure from outside or bias as an owner, and having the car for several days should be enough.

Senshi458, Coincid and Boomhauer like this.
  3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    was it too fast for him?

Napoli likes this.
  4. I think it left him cold, but impressed. Very impressed, but still cold.

5. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Typical Harry review in that it was a very fair honest appraisal. Pretty much the only reviewer who doesn't care if he upsets car makers, just gives his genuine opinion. Much prefer Harry's videos compared to most other UTubers who fawn adulation to avoid upsetting Ferrari, Porsche etc.

Nicolas21, mhh, Senshi458 and 9 others like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As with anything, his take on things.

The only thing I couldn't quite wrap my head around, was when he talked about driving it 8/10's vs. 10/10's. He mentioned that he felt that when he was trying to drive the car above 8/10's, the intrusion from the torque vectoring going into a turn, surprised him. It does take a bit of getting used to, but here's where I think he might need to rethink his approach. He specifically mentioned driving the car in Sport, not Race or CT OFF. I say this because my experience is that this becomes much less noticable in those modes. I don't knkw of ang of the 4X8 gen cars as well as the SF90 which feels nice to push 10/10 in Sport mode. This is where the ESC system starts to work against you, not for you so to speak. While there's obviously less of a safety net, the cars will do fewer weird things to "help" you in Race or CT OFF. Trying to drive a car 10/10 in Sport is not the right way of doing it. It was never what Sport mode was meant to do.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cesman, RumorDude, 350MH83 and 5 others like this.
  7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I love Harry’s Garage and Harry’s take on motoring life. His opinion was basically….feels like driving the future, this thing is shockingly fast, don’t trust it at 10/10ths, it’s an impressive achievement, I respect it more than love it.

I think that is a common view, especially from people who love beautiful combustion-style engineering in the way Harry does (fabulous current videos on his Countach gearbox and engine repairs with Ian Tyrell as an example). I think Il Co-Pilota is right though. When really pushing on, and truthfully there are few places where you can safely do that, but when you can, with good conditions and decent temperatures, I found the car to be very faithful and very rewarding using Race mode. The front vectoring in tight turns is a really great experience, very natural-feeling and allows you to really attack bends and keep the nose planted and sharp.

It’s clear that this car is always going to be a controversial one. I don’t really feel it should be although I understand why it is. I also don’t agree with the view that it will age badly as many people say. I think their logic is ‘high tech, so that will age, don’t like the looks so once it’s not the fastest anymore nobody will say it’s a good car’. But I think it will always remain a great-to-drive, super fast, proper Ferrari. I also think the look will become more familiar and for many of those that don’t like it in pictures, the combination of time and seeing some around will soften many nay-sayers’ feelings towards it. I can agree it is not as beautiful as a TDF or Competizione (but not much is). Harry’s view was that the 296 is beautiful but not the SF90 - that 296 opinion is also a very disputed view. Personally I think the 296 is better looking in the way that I find the Huracan nicer than the Aventador. But both the Aventador and the SF90 have to fill that outrageous big-brother role, just like Harry’s beloved Countach did. The Countach was not really a graceful, elegant car (except perhaps the Periscopo) but boy was it full of testosterone and the perfect poster car. I think the SF90 look is successful. When I first saw one my honest first impression was ‘wow’ (in a positive sense) and again when our car was delivered, and I could study the details as an owner, it just looked amazing. I actually think it’s prettier than our Pista, especially from side profile where it looks more balanced, powerful and purposeful. The rear deck is the bit that can look awkward but I don’t mind it too much. Most cars have an odd angle somewhere. The stance and sense of purpose the car has is spot on though.

ScottS, mhh, buddyg and 6 others like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Interesting Harry’s impression of the steering. Numb, lacking in feedback. One of his dislikes. Overall, objectively much to admire. Subjectively, lacking.But for those who are enamoured by the car should be unbothered.

9. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    #10 Cocoloco, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Good review
    I was one of the manual rwd awd hybrid blah blah but those days are done.
    Moving on SF90 1/3 price vs La 918 P1 with 100k maintenance.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very much agree. I trying to get a better sense of where he is coming from. I gotta say one thing. He was on the early bandwagon who did not really like this car, even before he had seen it in the flesh. I know he tries to be honest, but I can't help but feeling that he went into this review with a somewhat negative bias so to speak. He was kind of parroting some of the views CH had early on, in a quite word for word quote. Both Harris and Metcalfe talked a lot about it being an impressive car, but kind of pointless and not very desirable. Rather than going in to more depth on this specifically, it was that phrase he parroted a few times.

Just wondering if his fondness for classic cars, sometimes obscure his sense of objectivity as a reviewer of the most modern supercars.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    When I buy a Ferrari, I am not buying it because it has the most power, or dozens of high tech driver aid gizmos, and manettino settings. I buy it because I love the way it drives. This car, no matter how impressive a tech statement it is, just doesn't seem to be one of those cars, and I trust Harry Metcalfe's judgement on that.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Typical of Il Co- Harry offers his genuine opinion of the SF90 which does not comport with his and the reason cannot be due to the car's shortcoming, it must be due to reviewer bias. The real world sucks.

BarryK likes this.
  13. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Yeah the SF90 is a terrible car LOL So terrible that I can’t put the keys down. Some people….

cesman, perrinnation, mhh and 2 others like this.
  14. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    I think this is more of the issue as buyers don't get to test a Ferrari before they order and when I say most, it's likely 99% of Ferrari buyers
    CH Harry etc. are far from the value of an owner. Knowing I am not shedding any light but neither did Harry when shopping for 1000hp hyper car as these factories are sold out.
    296 SF90 Lambo's pre production are sold out and expect same with Mac.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Not a single individual will claim that the SF90 is terrible. It will appeal to differing tastes as does every super car.

LuxRes likes this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    But the La Ferrari is a magnificent visual gem.

ScottS likes this.
  17. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    As a car enthusiast, you can never be 100% objective, no matter how good journalist you are. You will always have some preferences, as all of us do. But I always loved to watch his videos.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    yup, we got a major issue on our hands. lol. Had a terrible day with mine again today. The horror!

19. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Don’t tell me you don’t enjoy being told by people whom have never driven the car how much worse it is than the car they fanboy over?? LOL

Such juvenile behavior from, I assume grown up adults, all these cars being Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren etc. are absolutely amazing, the fact that some are so extremely lucky to even be able to purchase them has to be recognized as a blessing.

Bickering over intangibles, di*k measuring contest and taking as gospel the opinion of others without first hand experience is a very poor narrow minded approach.

I couldn’t care less if some dislike my car, I bought it for myself, the thing that saddens me is that some by being influenced by the opinion of others are depriving themselves of a truly phenomenal experience and it’s sad to see that transpire but at the end of the day it’s their choice and dare I say their loss…

Il Co-Pilota and mayer like this.
  20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I wouldn't take it so personally, it's just a car at the end of the day
    some people dislike it based on apperance, weight and philosophically because of the electric elements
    as mentioned before it's very difficult to drive ferraris before buying them which makes it difficult for people who genuinely have the means to buy to drive.

I know of one person who took delivery of the car and hated it, sold it back to the dealer within 1 week and he's a serial ferrari purchaser

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Unless one actually drives the car in question, those opining on driving dynamics have absolutely zero credibility. Personally, unlike some here who proffer long winded assessments on cars they have not experienced, I will never praise or disparage any car until such time I have sufficiently driven it to feel confident in offering my 2 cents on its driving characteristics. I have no experience with the SF90 behind the wheel, therefore silence on that topic.

22. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    #23 Cocoloco, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    I know of one person who took delivery of the car and hated it, sold it back to the dealer within 1 week and he's a serial ferrari purchaser[/QUOTE]

Ferrari requires dealers to wait six months or more before dealer can list it for sale. It will be the last F car that owner will get so it makes no sense other than he liked the money more but the good news is the dealers love the weak buyers because they sell same car twice with ADM.
    Why - because it's sold out!

23. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Not taking it to heart at all just making some observations.

24. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Ferrari requires dealers to wait six months or more before dealer can list it for sale. It will be the last F car that owner will get so it makes no sense other than he liked his money more than the car. Ferrari's most powerful fastest car ever built and comes in Spider AF package - add it's sold out!
    If you don't approve of the SF90 do you really need to tell people - I don't understand the reasoning.[/QUOTE]

Situations are quite often multifaceted, hard to know all the facts unless directly involved, who knows why the guy really sold it?