State inspection | FerrariChat

State inspection

Discussion in '348/355' started by 26street, May 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    So it’s that time of year where I have too have my car inspected—- here in nys it’s just a plug in and as long the check engine light is out and all monitors have ran and pass we are good to go

Just wondering what other states or countries do for their inspection?????

From what I have read here California is a little more involved

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Some california counties do the plugin test to check codes monitor status
    Then a dyno test at 15 and 25 mph to test emissions
    Absolutely simple and the numbers really help understand how the motor is performing year to year.

One of us found a going bad injector or regulator with help of the smog test recently

26street likes this.
  3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Virginia divides the Inspection into two parts:

Safety Inspection which is required of all vehicles annually. $20

Emission Inspection which is only done in "EPA designated areas" such as Northern Virginia every two years. $28 The Emissions Inspection must be completed (ODBC plug in) to renew your plates.

Antiques 25 years or older are exempt from both as long as they are registered as Antique vehicles. Just an added point......the Emissions Inspection in now enforcing OEM catalytic convertors on their inspections. Like Kalifornia......if it isn't OEM.....it won't pass.

4. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    If you have a 1997 or earlier car, NYS doesn’t do emissions testing (25 years and older).

If you have a 1995 or earlier then no OBD2 connector means no CEL test.

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

5. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I did not know that about nys I just called my friend who owns the shop where I get it done and he told me he has not plugged my car in for a few years now lol —- but again he comes and takes my car all the time and I haven’t been there when it is being inspected lol

I asked him if it’s time to straight pipe the car
    He said I should fail just for my tinted windows alone lol and there’s only so much he can over look lol

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    No inspections in Michigan.

7. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Really do they do a safety check

8. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I live in the sticks (Virginia) and here the yearly inspection only consists of a summary check of the car's main functions. The "technician" from an authorized facility (can be a gas station or automotive shop) gets in the car, honks the horn, pumps the breaks, activates the turn signals and $20 later you are good to go.

It's halfway between funny and embarrassing o_O

INRange likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    CT -- No safety inspection. No emission if over 25 yrs old. 25 or less, plug and play every 2 yrs. 1 monitor not ready OK. CEL lit = fail.

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    NJ - post '95 it's License, Insurance, Registration, plug into the ODBII port. Gone are the days of thorough testing (gotta admit I miss it as there are LOTS of cars that have things wrong with them)
    your ODB must have gone through a drive cycle (Drive the vehicle on the highway at least 55 miles per hour. Drive the vehicle in stop-and-go traffic for 20 minutes, making sure the vehicle idles at least 4 times. )

'95 & earlier...woo hoo, no inspection. No sticker. It is not required to be registered Collector or antique or such.

11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Florida, no inspections.
    I suppose I still love that, but there are some real hoopties driving around here that should be checked for safety. And then don't get me started on on squatted trucks. Everyone one of those should be deemed unsafe, burned and crushed lol

As an alternative, I've heard you can register your car in Montana not just to save on sales tax, but to avoid inspections or make it easy to register kit cars etc.
    No experience however

12. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    I have one car registered in MT - a BAC Mono which could be registered in NY but not without jumping through lots of hoops and adding some extra equipment like a mini windshield and wiper which I didn’t want.

As you say, no inspection which is nice for a 50/50 street track car. Most folks that bring cars to the track are going to do their own safety inspections better than a state inspection mechanic anyway. And emissions are irrelevant for a kit car.

13. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

I wish, they don't

14. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I heard that one state I think Georgia went after all the cars that where registered in Montana but the owners lived in Georgia and got big fines aka tax bills

Or am I wrong on what state that was

15. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    No inspection in South Carolina for any vehicles, new or old.

emac likes this.