355 - Clutch problem | FerrariChat

355 Clutch problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by Brambleworth, May 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    1998 euro 355 spider. Yesterday I noticed the clutch felt a little heavy and a slight sweet smell like antifreeze was noticed while driving. Then I noticed a slipping clutch on harder acceleration. So took it easy going home on the highway. Suddenly on a 4 to 5 shift the shifter wouldn’t go into the 5 slot in the gate and the clutch pedal felt like it was not connected to anything. Managed to match Revs and limp it home. I assumed it was a clutch failure, car has 40,000 miles and I bought it last November and added 1500. Prior owner thought it was original clutch but didn’t know for sure. Independent shop thought maybe I lost hydraulic fluid. Any thoughts?

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yeah clutch, easy to do. If you have dripping at the back screen you need triple seals and maybe need new clutch hydraulics

3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    These cars are noted for having the slave cylinder blow apart. Thankfully Hill Engineering builds a replacement unit that is far better than OEM.