Dino rip off, need advice | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Dino rip off, need advice

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoSteve, May 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    As I drove my 355 down from the mountains today she was on my mind.

tomc, DinoSteve and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  2. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Get a lawyer unfortunately and get your money back. New interior, paint etc sounds like it needs a huge amount of money put into it to sort the issues

3. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    better to have bought this dino than have your money in the current financial markets.....

4. TomVg74

TomVg74 Rookie

Apr 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    T vegas
    The “key” words are:
    -PPI
    -Due Diligence
    -Knoledge

paulchua and Marcel Massini like this.
  5. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

This is just Ferrari ownership I'm afraid. My 355 is pretty much in mint condition t/out and I'm about to drop that kind of money (engine wise) just on a major service/water pump etc - so don't feel too bad about it. You sound a bit like me in that you need things to be 'just right', but in Ferrari land this is not a cheap proposition.

I can also say that after seeing quite a few older Ferrari's now, most are in pretty bad state. Many people balk at the idea of fixing up the small things due to cost and relative lack of importance, so they slowly become big things. Non working heaters/AC is a perfect example of this.

Next time I'd certainly take a look at the car before purchase, but with that all being said you still did OK. It's not like these things sell cheaply or come around all that often.

Set it right with the right mindset and attitude and you'll love this car forever.

paulchua likes this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    For the thread starter, is there a reason why you are not posting pictures?

Skippr1999 and Sergio Tavares like this.
  7. Jim Brackett

Jim Brackett Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Brackett
    I hate that these things happen and personally am 'jaded' about Florida dealers. Real Estate licensees have it pounded into them about full disclosure and who you represent and I believe it is a part of the Uniform Commercial Code. You as a buyer are entitled to a reasonable standard of care regardless of who the dealer represents. If you can prove what they said then, this is even a more egregious case of misrepresentation and you should be able to pierce that provision of 'as is where is' clause.
    Nevertheless it is expensive to prosecute a case more so across the country. If these guys are respectable as you say I would carefully line out the deficiencies and the cost to correct them and write a professional letter out lining their misrepresentations and tell them to either refund the money and come get the car or you make a offer to settle the issue. Otherwise, you will be forced to call them out on social media and/or seek legal relief. If they are somewhat respectable they might offer you some money. One other point is if they were brokering the car you can tell them the least that is going to happen is a disgorgement of their commission. There is also a legal term called 'latches' which means the longer the time goes without you putting them on notice the harder it will be to make a recovery. I agree with everyone else you should have had it inspected and combination on these little things could be a precursor to bigger things neglected. The purpose of my writing the is to stop dealers misrepresenting and you are talking about a 'serious purchase'
    Finally, if you don't get any satisfaction it would be good to disclose who the 'culprits' are, but get some legal advice first.

Good Luck

8. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    You are getting rip offed.
    Tach repair should be under $750,
    but what is the $7k work on motor? Scare to ask

Items 2-21 should be no more then $10k depending on what unclear items 11), 12), 15) really mean and that would include fulle fuel system, ignition, A/C, and cooling system removed replaced/refurbished radiator w/ rebuilt fans and all.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Too true. My 964 is 30 years old - great power train but bad blower motors, spoiler air deflector, etc. But it is a rare car, perfect spec, and getting it sorted has been satisfying. Now I enjoy every drive and know it could go cross country.

Hopefully the OP falls in love with his Dino. Terrific car, especially in blue.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EnzoItaly likes this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    84 posts later, no chassis number, no photo, no dealer's name, no PPI, no due diligence, nothing.

Marcel Massini

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yes too right ..

Watching Monaco Historique now ...are you down there ?

12. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Don't forget he purchased the Dino to be a race car. If he was serious about wanting a race car the Dino would not be on the shortlist. Too much complaint by the OP and as Marcel rightly pointed out nothing else.

paulchua, Grandmaster and DrewH like this.
  13. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was thinking at the start ‘who would pay that much for any car sight unseen’ but now that you mentioned that………

paulchua likes this.
  14. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I find it amusing op buys a car 50 yrs old and is expecting it to be new

paulchua, NYC Fred and Marcel Massini like this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t think he expected it “to be new” but he did have some expectation of a reasonably accurate description.

16. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    BJK likes this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    BJK likes this.
  18. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    How much did you spend on the PPI and who performed it?

19. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Wow.... is it too risky to post some pictures and let us see what you're speaking of. Chassis number will also reveal much to be discussed. Otherwise I just wasted 10 minutes reading 4 pages of posts.

paulchua and kcsun like this.
  20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Agree

paulchua, Marcel Massini and 375+ like this.
  21. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I wouldn't even buy a $500 dirt bike without kickstarting it, hearing the engine run and shift through the gears......let alone a near half million dollar Ferrari.

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    A little bird tells me the OP got a $ 4'500 check from the FL seller?

I also heard that when OP took delivery, in the transport truck brake fluid leaked on the motor compartment lid and melted the paint, and there was also damage to the three lever release levers by the trucker. Sounds like trucking damage. Not sure if this has been mentioned here already or not.

Marcel Massini

paulchua, Lusso123, DinoSteve and 2 others like this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sounds like somebody might have used a transport broker.:rolleyes:

paulchua likes this.
  24. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I bought my car from some schmuck who failed to reveal the heater didn’t work.

It still doesn’t.

Never needed it.

paulchua, dm_n_stuff and Face76 like this.
  25. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    UroTrash-
    Did you do a PPI?, If not why trash the seller, the seller might not have known either? Just a thought!

UroTrash likes this.