Pista Tire Question | FerrariChat

Pista Tire Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by KyleB25, May 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    I know this may be considered sacrilege, but my Pista will 99.9% never see the track and therefore I find the Sport Cup 2's sort of unnecessary for street use.

I am due to replace the tires at the end of the summer months and would like to know what would be a reasonable street tire that is very capable but not as track focused as the Cup 2's.

On my GT500, I moved away from the Cup 2's to the 4S tire and the tire performs as much as I care to push that car but the Pista is obviously a slightly different animal.

Thanks

BillHartman67 likes this.
  2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    There was a thread ‘ what tires do you have on your Pista” conventional wisdom among feedback was 4S for the street.

LagunaSecaMike and KyleB25 like this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would stick with the Cup2- perhaps a new set of Cup2.

I had Cup2 on my Pista which was delivered in Summer 2019 and I always found the tires difficult to get up to temp despite driving with some gusto and for 60-90 minute stints. I had more fun with the car on its winters. So I thought maybe I will go with 4S for the summer. They were OK but as I drove the car more, and as the tires got hotter, I found I had less and less confidence in the tires. The pressures were fine and the temps seemed OK- but I never felt the kind of connection I was looking for. I went and put a new set of Cup2 tires and all of a sudden the car was transformed. This is more like it! I am informed that Michelin *may* have changed the compound on these tires to allow them to get up to temp faster- now my tires are getting to 100-120f after a bit of driving. Before I couldn’t get above 90. The tires are just fabulous as is the car. I would really stick with these tires as this is what the car is designed for. The one thing Id say is if you live in a very cool or constantly rainy climate maybe then its worth exploring different choices.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. The Pista deserves Cup2's.

Yes, the 4S is fine, and probably a handful of other tires, but for a Pista just put on Cup2's.

Yes, they're probably about $1000 more than a similar set of 4S, but honestly you drive and own a Pista -- a car around 600k USD (give or a take a 10k) -- and you're going to try and save $1000 on tires?

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with choosing a more streetable tyre. If you never track, a more treetable tyre could easilly be faster and a lot more enjoyable.

Many generally go to the MPS4S, and it is a very good tyre. I does have a few things playing against it though. One is that it is the soft sidewall does take away some of the Pisras sharpness. And reality is that it is now an 8 year old tyre. By the latter I mean that there are starting to come better and newer alternatives. One tyre I have now tested which is available here in Europe, is the new Continental Sport Contact 7. Holy bleebety-bleep that tyre is good! In both dry and wet it blows the MPS4S out of the water, and it has,a,stiffer sidewall than the MPS4S. It also handles high temps much better than the MPS4S. In my humble opinion, this is now the tyre to beat next year when Michelin releases the MPS4S successor. Yes it is THAT good!

I am unsure whether or not it is available in the US though. There are two other tyres I'd check out in case you cannot get the new Contis. One is the Goodyear F1 Supersport and the other is the Bridgestone Potenza Sport. These are both competitors to the MPS4S, and while they may have a tiny, and I do mean tiny, drawback over the MPS4S in some areas, they do feel more sporty and direct, which suits the Pista. Personally I'd choose the Goodyear, but that's personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Check out EVO's latest magazine where they tested the MP4S against the new Conti SC7 and Bridgestone Potenzas. The Conti won by a clear margin.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Cool. I can believe that. It's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Great info il Co-pilota! I only find Extreme Contact Sport from Conti in USA, does anyone have input on that vs the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 in USA? Thanks.