23 Pony car purchase | FerrariChat

23 Pony car purchase

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ralfabco, Mar 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #1 ralfabco, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Leaning towards buying a new Pony car, to use three to four days a month. Practicality has no concern.

My first choice is always a car with a manual transmission.

Thinking about the following three options:

ZL1 1LE. I do not like the wing, but the exterior design looks good and the car has a manual transmission and is a track day monster. The ZL1 1LE, is ranked as one of the best track day cars. A few years ago I drove my son's 2015 Camaro 1LE with the N/A motor and 6spd manual. Exterior visibility is poor. Nobody will sit in the back seat. Post Covid, a number of suppliers cannot meet demand for niche 1LE items which results in up to one year for the car to be delivered, to the customer. If the Camaro finishes production at the end of model year 23, it may be a problem to obtain a ZL1 1LE car within one year. Will not pay a dime over MSRP and I refuse to pay hidden fees. Waiting for the 23 order books to open. This is my first choice.

The regular 6spd manual ZL1 has reasonable delivery rates.

____

Challenger Scat Pack 1320. The idea of a single seat factory-built drag racing car just rocks. No rear bench and pass seat. Kewl. The 1320, is the poor man's N/A Demon without the power, tool-box, and bicycle front tires. If the 1320 only had a manual transmission. Perhaps this car will hold it's value due to the car being all but unique. A cheap 11 second focused drag strip car. Unfortunately, the 1320 has the old narrow body Challenger without the 'Countach' flares and wide tires. No desire, to buy the upscale Challenger models with an automatic trans. The Hellcat manual is gone.

2. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I have heard a ZL1 1LE will knock out your teeth as a DD. 1lE and ZL1 1LE have different suspensions. 1LE = ZL1-non 1LE suspension.
    Owned a F8 1320 for about a year and sold it for about what we paid for it. Fun car but lacks the bigger brakes due to wheel size.
    I would get a Zl1 1LE first or a 1LE with a heads and cam package.

ralfabco likes this.
  3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Will it be a track car mainly or maybe 1 or 2 times a year?

4. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Twice a month drive for back roads fun.

I could care less if the ride is harsh.

No use for a rolly-polly suspension.

My interest, is to special order the 1LE. Supplier issues currently exist.

Just waiting for the 23 order books to open.

No problem waiting for delivery. I hope the order can be filled.

5. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    22 model year will be screwed up for sure. Many dealers never got a ZLE allotment. No issue with ride quality then ZLE all the way. I too have a vision issue with the Camaro but have contemplated the same issues you are and decided if I got rid of the Shelby, I would get a ZLE.

ralfabco likes this.
  6. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Same concerns. Will GM be able to build the car within a year. Several 22 buyers will be pushed into 23. I am not going to pay over MSRP and forget the additional hidden ‘handling’ fees. 6spd manual has a lot of appeal.

Face76 likes this.
  7. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #7 ralfabco, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    I just ordered a Jeep for my wife and paid MSRP. We have been waiting since early February. No recent experience ordering an in-demand car, at a Chevrolet dealer. I guess dealerships need an allocation to sell a hi demand car. I assume the large dealers receive most of the allocations.

I have posted detailed information to ask at the dealership about an allocation. Specific information and questions that will prove if they do or do not have an allocation. It may be advantageous to order with three different Chevrolet dealers and put down a refundable $1,000 deposit. When Chevrolet picks up the order and sends confirmation I can go ahead and cancel the order with the other two dealers and receive a refund. Order guides have been released. Order books open this week. AFAIK - no significant mechanical changes.

Cut and paste

8. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Keep the thread up to date as I am now interested in the ZLE too. Thanks.

9. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

No clue what will happen.

May lose interest if a price increase will be applied to the 23's. Also refuse to pay more than MSRP and without dealer premiums and hidden fees.

Face76 likes this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Gotta be a hellcat, 23 is the last year ever.

11. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Think I have my GT500 sold today so looking for a ZL1 1LE. What a mess. ADM's are routinely $10k - $20k over. I may be without a car and not able to buy one either.

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #12 ralfabco, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Almost positive I will not be buying a new 23 Challenger or Camaro, with a manual. Zl1 1LE is probably in or around 80K without any markup and the 23 price increases. With shopping you should be able to find a car without any markup. 80K+ is crazy. With the ZL1 1LE, it is difficult to find a dealer with an allocation.

My guess the best option will be a 2014/2015 Z/28. You can find a 1,000 mile car without much effort. The Z/28 with very low miles, is less than a base 22 ZL1. The Z/28 is the most hard-core of all of the modern Camaros. Reasonably low production #'s with potential to increase in price. Dry sump, a motor that revs, brakes, and shocks.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed, Z28 is just awesome.
    997.2 performance with nascar vibe, truly an apex.

ralfabco likes this.
  14. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    If I had sold my GT500 sooner, I would have considered the 2015 Z/28 that sold on BaT recently.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-chevrolet-camaro-56/

ralfabco likes this.
  15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Face76 likes this.
  16. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Sold the mustang and called a couple of dealers in the midwest with cars inbound. Maybe someone backed out but I found a black auto for $5k over MSRP and bought it. Find out tomorrow how long the wait is. Car has left the factory and is on transport to the dealership.

ralfabco likes this.
  17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Enjoy.

The Camaro6 forum has a lot of useful information. Insider information on how the ordering process works.

Face76 likes this.
  18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

if youre goign to sue it on the road, Ac is nice, and the weight penalty in such a portly car is irrelevant.
    The red one on bat, I wonder how tame those first few hundred miles were, and red, ugh.
    To me the z28 is perfect in white or silver.

20. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    This will be a twice a month car to drive. Agreed about the AC advice. I still prefer no AC with this car. White and silver are perfect. Red and black are my last choices. With any used car I never consider color as an important choice.

21. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    2024 Camaro

Production is ending some time during December 2023.

AFAIK you have to have your order picked up by Chevrolet NLT - 24 October 2023. This is the last day.

As a mass produced production car a few will be somewhat scarce - based on options and color.

2024 production may produce some interesting select cars. Given the strike and brief 1/2 year model production.

It's not 2005 GT2 scarce.

__

The electrical car nonsense is not going to work out well for the Big 3.

22. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I saw that the true 1LE package is no longer offered in 2024 to Camaro ZL1 buyers. Front fascia and dive planes are left off due to shortage of CF.

23. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #23 ralfabco, Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    No clue about the immediate changes to the car.

Chevrolet has a code for GM order revisions - 2030

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm-order-tracking/gm-order-event-codes-and-definitions/

Most likely the best option for a 24 is to pick up a car where someone has fallen out and the car is in-transit. You need a salesman to put your name on a list and the spec has to work with your needs. The Camaro forum is another option. An enthusiast may post about dropping out of a special order. With this situation the enthusiast may help you seamlessly pick up their order with a cooperating dealer. He is my friend (insert your name)!

I called a local dealer and everything was working well until the conversation was about to end. The car can be ordered for MSRP. Sounds good. We also add a $3,500 protection package to all of the cars. Jose spends three (3) 'hours' waxing the car with dirty towels and sprays the underside with a few bottles and the dealer makes $3,425 in profit on top of - MSRP. I do not think that will work well. See ya. Some dealers are greedy. They all know what they have or do not have on the lot. If it's a hot car they often try to milk it. Finance is the last place you want to drop your awareness.

_____

No idea how it works when a customer buys a hot new exotic. Sure you have to be a client who purchased several cars in the past. Never purchased a new exotic. I remember a smart ass remark when I went to a F dealer to look at a used F car. He said we want to vet all of our buyers who purchase a new 360. The car comes with $75,000 in the trunk. Never mentioned a word about buying a new or used 360 :D.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I looked at camaros seriously the past month. Just cant live with that interior or general cheapness.
    Maybe Ford will make some more capable mustangs with time and we'll get used to the tc screen dash. At least its not as hideous showstopper one on the new M2, which otherwise is a good car..

Frankly for my V8 rumble, going to build a ERA 289 FIA cobra with a nice over bored dart block to 331 ci solid lifters and a sweet 7k redline (on stock stroke.)
    Thats going to cover my hotrod, antique car, and american v8 vibe all in one.

the 2015 z28 is a great one though.

ralfabco likes this.
  25. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Describes me perfectly.