355 - Clutch plate backwards | FerrariChat

355 Clutch plate backwards

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ben111, May 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Is it possible to put the clutch pressure plate in backwards?

2. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Sorry I meant friction plate

3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I've never done one on the 355, but usually the spring side goes inside of the pressure plate. If put in backwards the springs come in contact with the flywheel. hope this helps.

4. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Nope, not possible

5. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I’ve had the friction place refurbed, as I was told the pressure plate was ok, put it all together today and bled the system however the clutch won’t disengage.

made the mistake of putting the car back together before this was established, I was thinking if I could
    Have put the plate in the wrong way

6. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Nope, Not possible

7. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Ok thanks

8. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I just took these pictures of an old clutch plate and a flywheel so you can see why it's not possible. It always helps understand.
    Can you see with the plate the correct way up, it sits flush to the face of the flywheel.
    When the plate is reversed you can see that there is a gap between the plate and flywheel. This will not allow the clutch cover and bolts to fit correctly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Carmellini and MAD828 like this.
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Refurbished wrong. Plates to thick. Did you measure the plate thickness closed Marcel spring compressed?

10. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks very much for the photos, great help.

Removed the clutch again today, as suggested I suspect the refurb is too thick, will start the measuring.

Is the oem thickness for a manual the same as the f1, 8.9mm?

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You have an F1?

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If you have an f1 could be other issues

13. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    No I have a manual. After we searching online for the oem thickness i found a post relating to the f1 being 8.9mm thick, so is the manual the same thickness?

14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Carmellini likes this.
  15. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Is there a different part number for the earlier v. later disc? I only see one in the parts manual: 157756

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yep they goofed on the rebuild

Also check that the dish is the correct diameter and not to big or you get this, lots chatter
    No No No Senor

for sure Image Unavailable, Please Login

INRange likes this.
  17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    look on www.ferrariparts.co.uk

you can see applicability of parts

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its why when I need a clutch I just buy the whole unit as a whole and don't monkey with new plates or rebuilding, some something that you do once every 5 years or so just buy the whole things and be done. Seen too many issues across my life with gaps, spacing, tolerances, clearances, improper work, weak pressure plate, dishing and issues go on and one with rebuilding/replacing clutch parts. Hope it works out in the end for you!

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's the exact reason I always buy a clutch package from Ferrari. It's too expensive to do things twice.

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This is so true. But these are the things you learn just like you could just have the shop replace the whole thing and just write a check which is the next step after buying a whole new OEM unit from Ferrari. Last clutch plate cost me 35 bucks to have resurfaced! So my clutch job cost 35bucks! That's because there is a cost to knowledge. It cost me a lot of time and money to learn how to do my clutch for 35 bucks. You can't just throw a refurb plate in there and hope. There are many little things that make success in anything we do.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    All correct. I just cannot afford to do things twice, or three times. I am stuck on a 355 alternator job redo, for the 4th time. Sick of bad low quality parts.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It isn't getting any better! Sometimes if the alt part failure is known and consistent you can rebuild better than new like SKF bearings or Diodes from the USA instead of overseas.

Remember the great 170787 timing bearing problem? Hill engineering and Ricambi America to the rescue. We need to buy as much as possible from these guys to keep them in business. Ricambi would not sell the inferior failing Ferrari 170787 despite nothing else available until Hill eng.. Daniel at Ricambi is one of us. He has a reputation to protect but he also loves Ferraris and won't compromise on quality.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The alternator is a problem because of bad rebuilt parts and of scammer low life on Ebay selling used-rebuilt parts as new parts.

24. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Not to derail this thread (ok, let's be honest, I'm derailing this thread) but Mitch if you find alternator rebuild parts that aren't garbage, please let us know. I haven't rebuilt mine yet but would like to do so at some point before it fails (it's original to the car). Sorry you're going through this. Electronic parts seem especially easy prey for shady manufacturers for obvious reasons.

25. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The issue was the refurbed plate, although it was a little thicker than the 8.3mm, the issue was the actual circumference, they rectified that and I’ve now reinstalled and all is good.

cost of the refurb was £50, I use them for motorsport related purposes so I had faith in their work, although sadly In this case an error was made.

The car wants for nothing, last year it had its engine out cam belts + tensioners done aswell as all the other belts.

I do like to try and problem solve and save money where I can and learn in the process, in this case I’ve spent £50 on the refurb plus around £100 on all the seals for the shaft + release bearing, thought I may aswell replace them whilst it’s out, yes I’ve had to strip the car down twice however a mistakes a mistake, next time I’ll replace the pressure plate so will purchase the kit.

thanks for the help

Carmellini likes this.