Mondial T Fuse Circuit Board Replacement | FerrariChat

Mondial T Fuse Circuit Board Replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RobbyC, May 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    #1 RobbyC, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Over the winter, I replaced my fuse panel circuit board with one from Guido. I will share my steps. Hopefully it adds to community knowledge.

To start, here is the new board ordered from redbaycars.com

2. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
  3. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
  4. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    ellum likes this.
  5. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    ellum likes this.
  6. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    The new board is screwed to the panel, sorry, I neglected to snap a picture of it.
    The first time I screwed the new board to the panel cover, but found it difficult to line up the relay connectors when plugging in. So, I removed the screws, plugged in all the relays then screwed down the board without the plastic washers used on the original board.

The back cover is installed with plastic washers from original board acting as spacers to make room for the wires on the back of the board. I trimmed the washers to fit on the edge of the panel housing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Cover back on

Relays installed. Next the fuses.

Coming up, the wiring. Will upload the process soon.

JimboMondial likes this.
  7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    So far, so good ! great post....make sure you cut the white plastic plugs deep enough.

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I also recommend to install the wires and white plugs first and then the fuses and relais. Its more complicated putting the wires with those in place.

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Good thread, thanks Robby.

10. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    I did it the hard way. The project is finished, I just got tired last night and paused the posting.

11. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    ellum likes this.
  12. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    Plastic plug ready for the Dremel. This one only has four that need to be cut out so I marked them.
    The cut out process, repeat and repeat…..
    I started out with using a vice as seen here, but ended up sitting outside holding with one hand and dremeling with the other.
    After cutting out the plug, I went back to the car, cut off the old connectors and pulled the wires through.
    Strip, crimp and solder

13. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    ellum likes this.
  14. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    The first three plugs installed easily, then I had one fell like it was hanging up on something. Following instructions, I kept all the connectors facing one direction. When I looked close at the where the plug was hanging up, I noticed some of the electrical spades were slightly offset between the panel dividers.
    The spade, blue arrow, is closer to the top red arrow than the bottom red.
    If the loop side (wide) of the wire connector was on the skinny side, the plug divider would not fit between the spade and the panel divider. In these cases I simply flipped the connector and it worked fine.

All re-wired plugs connected.

15. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    djs308 likes this.
  16. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    RobbyC - thanks for the post.
    I bought Guido's kit last year, but have not set aside the time to do it (beyond removing the board). It's more than a 1-day job -- at least at my speed level, although the skills needed are not great, right? (When I realized I had to modify all 5 connectors, and not just the one that was burned out, I lost the energy.)
    EDIT AFTER REVIEWING YOUR EXCELLENT PIX) Two questions:
    1) Did you have to be very careful in cutting the slots in the 5 connectors? Any worries about the new larger spade connectors bridging the gap and contacting each other?
    2) Are you going to separate out the fuel pump relay circuit from the board (IIRC, several on this forum recommended this separation to decrease the heat transfer)?

Thanks.

17. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    Hi Stasha,
    1)There are 8 connectors so it is a lot of slot cutting. I was very cautious at first but after a bit it becomes easy and you would really have to mess up to ruin it. I went outside in the sun and could see through the connector housing where the guards were. If you go a little too deep it is ok.
    No worries contacting each other as long as you don't break of the divider in between and I think you would have to try to do that. They are pretty solid.
    2) The fuel pump relay is on my list to investigate. I had no issues going into this, just a preventative replacement since I understand it is just a matter of time with the original circuit board. The car is new to me as of last summer and I plan to keep for the long haul. It may be a good project next winter!
    Thanks,
    Rob

stasha likes this.
  18. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Steve,
    1- cutting is no problem, its just plastic. A little saw or dremel will do the job.
    2- no need to put separate relais for fuel pump. My board can handle it...
    To spread the heat over all relais, you can put an alu sheet over them like on this picture. No need to put the plastic transparent cover over it. Normaly there is no humidity in the front boot.

stasha likes this.
  19. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Great post and thanks for showing us how to do the installation. Looking almost like stock ! You are lucky the wires are long enough to do the installation with that board loose. Most mondials and other ferrari's do not have so long wires.

20. RobbyC

RobbyC Rookie

Apr 7, 2021
    Northern WIsconsin
    Full Name:
    Rob Calderwood
    Thanks Guido! I remove the beauty cover over the brake reservoir and the wire cover below that which helped me pull the wires up. There was a bit of finesse tucking of the wires back under the panel. You can see the wire cover with the hump in it below the panel cover. This is a Mondial T BTW.