Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
  2. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    roma1280 likes this.
  3. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    How does that dial look in real life? I love the texture but hard to tell if its really that detailed the way the camera captures it versus in-person.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  5. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    #831 Roman456, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    It looks darker in real life, not so detailed, a bit like old Hasselblad cameras. Love it!

roma1280 and poljav like this.
  6. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    Because that 5470 is a functional customer's watch. They will be very rare, only for some happy few, retail price 390k CHF. All other models at the Salons in Geneva are non functional, so you don't need gloves to manipulate them ;)

roma1280 and Boomhauer like this.
  7. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    When I took my phone off airplane mode as soon as we touched down in Miami, I got the "hey would you like a Patek" text. Could not unlock the phone fast enough. Doh! It was for a 5524r. I tried and tried to convince myself it looked good, but I had to send my SA the dreaded thanks but no thanks. I am sure I just got sucker punched down the pecking order, but I just cannot spend $60k on a piece to just sit in my case.
    Oh the agony.

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That’s a shame. 5524 is one of my all time favorites. I though about selling it but have had it on the wrist this past week. Super functional, legible and a movement and complication that you can use. I love this piece!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pingi3, fws357, JackCongo and 4 others like this.
  9. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    OK. that is it. I will head to the AD this week. If they still have it (hope not) and I purchase it, and I hate it later, I know whom to blame lol.
    Kidding.
    I just want my first AD Patek to be a Patek classic (yes to me the Aquanaut and Nautilus are classics) like a 5205G, 6119R or even a 5235/50R. Does not have to be a dress watch.... you guys who own some know what I am talking about correct? For some reason I think 40mm is the biggest a Patek watch should go.
    Sorry I am just talking out of my ass.
    I have this strong feeling that I was not the first client my SA called to offer this one. Probably not the second either. I am ok with that. I am a new client so I am realistic with my expectations.

On an interesting note, I was at my friends house down in Miami. He was having a private party. Met Jacob Arabo. Beautiful watches. Not my cup of tea, but now I know what a 1.3m watch feels like.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    42 mm is definitely on the larger size for Patek but for my taste and frame I love it. Yoy won’t be disappointed.

pingi3 likes this.
  11. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Wow.. my AD called me and offered me the 6119R. Could not turn this one down.

12. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
  13. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Plates / screws and missing 3 bones in my wrist make it hard to wear my watches but es la vida.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Looks great. Congrats: welcome to the merry go round of Patek ownership.

15. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Thanks SoCal.. Now that I have my name in the hat with this AD, I will sit back and wait for the calls to come in. Hopefully it will go back to what I heard was typical wait time for the more popular models. Correct me if I am wrong.... 2 to 4 years.
    I have purchased 7 watches recently so probably good to give my Amex a break. Looking at Patek prices makes Rolex prices seem cheap.
    I am curious what most on here has on their wish list.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    2-4 years seems about right. It’s typically less for regular clients but it can take some time.

As far as wish list, I’ve outlined mine previously. 5968 blue abs 5270p. However I’m heading to Geneva next month so will get an opportunity to try on many watches at the factory and the salon. Something else may catch my eye but that’s the wish list for the time being, subject to change.

17. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I would like to take a trip to Geneva myself one day. The Mrs and I plan to take more trips once the kids are in college. Kids these days have so much going on they need their own assistants so we can take family trips.
    That 5270 is 100% top tier in my book.

6301P!!!!! I would like to own/wear a PP minute repeater one day.

18. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.

Attached Files:

gabf1, mytoys, Roman456 and 5 others like this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    poljav likes this.
  20. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    ArtS and SoCal to az like this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    SoCal to az,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not seeing it till now. Interesting take. They might not be your style but they aren't all small. Look up tonneau style Pateks from just after WWI (1918 -1922):https://www.monacolegendauctions.com/auction/exclusive-timepieces-15/lot-17 This late 1920s one may be on the border of being too small for you but its pretty cool and it's in a different league from most of the stuff out there ($4.5M): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-01/a-1920s-patek-philippe-watch-that-s-not-a-relic

I guess its the same argument as to whether you like old or new Ferraris or both. I just found it interesting that no one is posting old stuff; unlike Ferrari, the technology hasn't changed as much between vintage and modern.

Regards,

Art S.

ronfrohock and Il Tifoso like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for the link. Cool piece for sure but honestly - just not my cup of tea.

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    That's the beauty of individual taste.

Il Tifoso and SoCal to az like this.