Dino rip off, need advice | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Dino rip off, need advice

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoSteve, May 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

As in, you don’t know how? Or you’re unwilling? If I’m understanding this correctly, you purchased this vehicle after viewing pictures online and placing a few calls, so how is posting more photos detrimental to your cause?

paulchua likes this.
  2. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    on April 15 he posted this is 06156, here are photos from when Gary sold 06156.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1973-ferrari-246-gts.511655/
    I would be very, very concern about heater comment and the fact Gary B had to do the head gasket change.
    I fear an overheated situation with long lasting problem main engine problem. He alredy paid $7,000.00 to repair engine and perhaps more to come? All this such a bad indication for 06156

Americans are crazy, not spend 500$ for a plane flight or PPI then pay half million $ for a car only to enjoy the lawyer battle.
    Mama mia, what mentality!

Shark01 likes this.
  3. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    We don't buy Ferraris because they're cheap to easy to maintain. We buy them because God, in his mercy, has shed special grace upon the Italians in general and the citizens of Maranello in particular to know and execute automobile art. I bought a 1999 355 in Florida from a repair shop that didn't really know what they were doing. They were honest to the extent that they averred it was not a concours car, but upon pick up there were problems. The wheels were Chinese fake BBS with spacers in the front, all of which rubbed; the check engine light was either burned out or removed, as it was throwing cat underfunction codes, the right front wheel had two stripped bolts, the top mechanism was a hit or miss affair, the exhaust was an after market straight pipe, the Slow Down light was a constant irritant, and the console was the usual curdle. Of course there was deferred maintenance, which I conducted easily following Ratarossa's Youtube videos. Since then I've had the heater control valve leak (VW part on ebay, $10,) the windows mechanisms needed service, the A/C accepted a charge, the CV joint bellows needed replacing, and I got the Slow Down computers, 3, from New Zealand which eliminated that problem The only costs to me, as I do my own work, were new wheels, belts and tensioners, bellows, and the computers. It has a small oil leak, and I'm leaving the CEL light undone as the underfunction code is common and doesn't affect performance. Removed the top hydraulics and now it goes up and down quickly and easily by hand. It goes like crazy, is reliable, super fun, and worth every penny. Oh yeh, it has a rebuild title, so I could afford it. Repairs expertly done, apparently. Life is indeed short, and way too short to drive practical cars. The Dino is one of the best cars ever conceived and built, and if you're one of the few who gets to own one, rejoice.

paulchua and DinoSteve like this.
  4. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sergio's comments are taken out of context. You state that this was posted on April 15th, but of what year? This group of photo's were posted on FChat , according to ad archives on Jan 26th, 2016, the reference of April 15th implies that it was 2022, but in reality, these are 6+ year old photo's. Yes. I did wholesale this car in 2021 to a Dealer in Florida. The car was in storage between the 2016 photo's thru 2021, when it sold. I gave the Dealer who sold the car clear photo's which shows a scratched non original steering wheel, and other minor flaws, mechanically, the car was a nice driver quality car, a body that had no major issues, issues, yet, when Steve took delivery, brake fluid leaked on to the car, lifting paint on the motor compartment from inside of the transporter, presumably from a car parked on top of the Dino. He blames the Florida dealer and I for this problem created by others . The 3 lever assembly was also either broken or improperly handled causing damage by the trucker. I told Steve to put a claim into the trucking Company for damage in shipping, , but he told me he was not inclined to do so. Why, I don't know? The Florida dealer sent current photo's to Steve that I supplied, prior to Steve's purchase. . Clearly, there was no body/ paint damage. Steve called me to discuss the car after it was delivered to him, he told me "that upon start up in the transporter, the motor made so much noise, sounded like a rod was ready to break thru the block" , as I quote.. He also said he had the problem fixed, as his mechanic did a valve adjustment, and everything was OK. Never heard of a valve adjustment curing a huge engine noise problem. This noise was not in the motor upon shipment to the Florida dealer. Regarding the head gasket issue, 246 Dino's are notorious for having an oil leak in the back of cylinder head 4-6. The head was removed, the gasket replaced, the oil leak was cured. This all happened 6+ years ago. Another common item is that in a southern California environment, wipers are typically taken off the cars by their owners, and typically, heaters are never used. Steve told me he had a non functioning heater valve that needed replacement. Entirely possible, as in reality, it has probably been 40 years since the heater valve was last used, possibly more.

The bottom line is that current pictures were supplied to Steve via the Florida dealer, unfortunately, Steve didn't pay attention to them, as the pictures clearly showed many of the faults that Steve is currently complaining about, such as bad stitching in the seats. The photo's clearly show the unraveled stitching in both seats, but Steve never paid attention to the photo's prior to purchase.

I did not sell him the car, so I really don't know what was said to Steve by the selling dealer. The selling dealer did in fact tell me that he sent Steve a check for about $4,500.00, if I recall correctly, just to keep him happy, after voicing numerous minor deficiencies. Steve also told me that a plastic vent insert was missing on the driver side foot well, of which I sent him a new one, yet, I had no direct obligations to Steve to do so. If you study the 2016 photo's the paint on the car it is very respectable for a street car, not a show car, as it was painted back in the 1980's, of which Steve has an invoice for. Steve complains that the paint on the car is horrible. I beg to differ, as the paint had very good gloss, and there was no major body damage. What was he expecting, a Pebble Beach quality paint job that was done 40 years ago?
    Gary Bobileff

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You know these things rusted outside the factory waiting for paint, don’t you?

(I can’t seem to find that famous photo of all the new Dino and Daytona bodies outside turning flakey orange)

They are all rusty. There was no rust prevention on interior surfaces.

Unless you have a volume of clear photos showing the bare metal during restoration, you will have rust.

DinoSteve likes this.
  6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  7. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    No. To be clear, Marcel stated the VIN has never been said by Steve and then we do not know which Dino this is.
    I disagreed with him because it is shown in the april 15 2022 posted by Steve as it is 06156.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/any-interest-in-a-dino-usa-club.614993/#post-148485641

Imagine to spend this amount and refuse to see the car before paying

8. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    As I stated earlier, I did not sell the car to Steve. I made no representations to Steve. Clearly, he did not look closely at the current photo's sent to him by the Florida dealer, not the 6 year old April 15, 2022 photo's, as he bought this car months before this April 15, 2022 date.
    Gary Bobileff

DinoSteve and UroTrash like this.
  9. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    A dino is certainly not a racecar.

DinoSteve likes this.
  10. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't understand at all why people pay so much for a Dino (V6) , you can better buy an V12-Ferrari if you want a classic.

Shark01 and daytonaman like this.
  11. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    With a 50 year old car you will have always problems, so if you don't like that better buy a(n) (almost) new one.

DinoSteve and CarloR like this.
  12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Because they are beautiful and light.

SeaRay, tim bowles, paulchua and 4 others like this.
  13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    And then all your electronic problems will start.

14. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You don’t understand?

Spend more time here and it might help your ignorance.

15. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    If you don't understand the allure of body, the visceral feelings generated by the engine sounds and the pure enjoyment of driving a light, responsive sports car - I can't help you...

SeaRay, Lusso123, DinoSteve and 5 others like this.
  16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Doh!

paulchua and DinoSteve like this.
  17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #167 UroTrash, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Ah, don’t worry.

I find that our new friend (with the self-aggrandizing moniker “grandmaster”) has owned a number of Calis and Portofinos, the preferred Ferrari of overly-pampered dentists’ wives everywhere! Ha!

DinoSteve, Skippr1999 and 308 milano like this.
  18. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    I disagree entirely. I have 4 Dino's and have never had a PPI performed on any of them. When I purchased all of my other Ferraris, or any other collectible for that matter, same story. I believe you can get a feel from the person selling the car, whether it's an individual or dealer, of whether they are knowledgeable and honest and trustworthy. It's your responsibility to do your homework to understand in advance what the common issues are with any car and you can ask about those things ahead of time. I have had many great cars, sold a few for record prices, but never bought one that didn't have a few problems. I don't care how perfectly they've been restored or what condition they're in, there will always be an issue or two. Sometimes they can be expensive. You can ask for help but it's got to be fair. But don't play victim and blame and discredit the person that sold it to you, you weren't obligated to buy it. It's up to you to ask the right questions, get as much information as you can, including pictures, history etc, and make a decision that you're comfortable with. You had all kinds of opportunity to understand what you were getting into and you failed to do it. And then you seek advice from others who clearly are as blind as you when it comes to addressing what's really wrong and having it properly repaired at prices that any knowledgeable person knows is reasonable. You refuse to post pictures with is bizarre, make stupid comments about not trusting people that have earned "stellar reputations", if you can't trust folks like that, who can you trust. This whole thing gives the feel that you are the one being disingenuous here.

mccand, 375+, Lusso123 and 3 others like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely true and a really outstanding post. Thank you, Sir.

Marcel Massini

DinoSteve likes this.
  20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Steve:
    many of the things you describe are just part of an old car which a Dino is Forget the perfect feel of a new car and just get the things that bother you fixed you will be surprised that if you have the parts they will be no big deal to fix.. Re the dealer Without the name hard to say .. However I have bought many cars sight unseen . However with an old car Ferrari or not it is always a good idea to hire someone to look at the car .. but if you got a solid good DINO you are $$ ahead.. best. of luck enjoy the car....

Island Time, DinoSteve and UroTrash like this.
  21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    by the way depending on where the car is there are some of the worlds most recognized experts of DINOs on this forum
    when I bought my DINO many years ago I got all the help in the world pre purchase from this forum even though at the time I was an unknown quantity .. but I got an off market car for a fair price although at that moment it was top dollar..happy with the car from day one but it took a little getting used to ..even though I had several old SHELBYs and corvettes ...
    best of luck with your car you will need to forget what ever the issue is fix it and I feel certain you will grow to love the car...as it is the most beautiful car ever made at least to me...by the way my windows locks were delivered in the glove box and are still there, probably the best place for it and the wipers were in the trunk... never checked them ... and it was a 98.5% car at concorso..........

DinoSteve likes this.
  22. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    I'm too busy spending time driving.

23. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    Larry,
    Thank you for the text. I do love it already. It's my G.O.A.T. and I've had a few cars...... my window locks were in the glovebox too.
    Steve

LARRYH likes this.
  24. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    Thank you for the text, the car is a hoot

LARRYH likes this.
  25. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    No I'm not being disingenuous. When a car is described to me as needing 2 minor things and so far I've paid a boco bucks, he's being in disingenuous as in being a crook. I'm not going to say these well known dealers name because hopefully they will make good on their lying and of course I probably would never put their names publicly on this forum. I only want what's fair and like anybody else I don't like getting ripped off. I ran my business for 36 years and never ripped off anyone. My mistake was trusting people and not having the car inspected.
    If I was told all these things were needed on the car and then I paid top dollar, it's on me. But since they misrepresented this car, it's on them.

SeaRay likes this.