Pulled the trigger on a Porto-M | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pulled the trigger on a Porto-M

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Portofinoman, Feb 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Congrats on the order! In my experience, 10G to 10R doesn’t happen in 24 hours. Both my SF90 AF spider and Portofino M orders have been sitting at 10G for weeks. Same thing with my F8 and Portofino orders last year.

Regardless, enjoy the hell out of it when it comes. My wife loves her Portofino…and had to have the M

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats on your order!
    Here is a little insight and now I’m at a quandary.
    I ordered the M back in October and subsequently bought an 812 in November. Looks like there is finally movement on the M so looks like it will be delivered end of year or Jan Feb.
    Love the 812 and figured I would cancel the M order. However drove the M demo today.
    Wow. Better than expected. Sound is very good which was a big concern. No more. Seat of the pants performance surprisingly substantial. Ride quality better than expected.
    So question is…. Consign the 812 or keep it??
    The big factor is I love the convertible option. I also have a 488 spider though. I have to say the M is very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JayGeeee likes this.
  3. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You will miss the 812 sound and performance. The 812 versions are likely the last v12 except for maybe an iconic car from Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

vonbeeler likes this.
  4. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    decisions decision decisions, who knew Ferrari would trouble people this way ;)

Unless the 488 is a Pista, I would keep the 812 and the M. Maybe trade in the 812 for a 812 GTS if it's not already a GTS :)

wrs and vonbeeler like this.
  5. Portofinoman

Portofinoman Rookie

Jan 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike jacquet
    Update on my 2020 Porto-m order. Still shows “Waiting List” in the application and my dealer says his status still shows pre-order. To make things worst the factory shuts down in August so we probably won’t see any movement for at least 30 days. Not looking good for my anticipated October delivery. Just need to remain patient….

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Put an order in March. Drove a pair of test cars last weekend. Dealer says they are starting to see build slots coming in . . .

Drove my 458 Spider to the dealer, totally enjoyed each of the Portofino M test cars.

italiafan likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    No question...keep it! (Unless you can get an 812GTS). Ferrari V12 is magic, nothing—nothing at all, matches it.

8. JayGeeee

JayGeeee Rookie

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    James H Gill II
    I thought it was just me when I drove the M a couple weeks ago. I thought the improvement over the PF was substantial. It was as though they improved every aspect about the PF in my mind that I felt was still a little short - even after the massive improvement from the Cali T. For anyone questioning if it's a legitimate Ferrari....it's a legitimate Ferrari. I can't wait to eventually take mine for a track day. It's going to be a while, but I think it will be well worth the wait. The gearbox, for one, is literally instantaneous. I didn't think they would ever be able to do it, but they have. Both upshifts and downshifts are as quick as you can hit the lever. It's mind-blowing. It's sad, but fitting actually, that this will be one of the last generation of the petrols. Thanks unnecessary government.

vonbeeler and Florida Joe like this.
  9. JayGeeee

JayGeeee Rookie

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    James H Gill II
    Additionally, I haven't spec'ed mine out yet, but I've already budgeted for the carbon fiber diffuser out back. There's no way I can resist that. I saw it on the demo, and it looks incredible (although it costs about 11K).

rob5819 likes this.
  10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    We didn't like the external carbon fiber on the three Portofino M's we've seen. We are doing Rosso Portofino over Nero, so the carbon fiber on the exterior looked distracting. I feel like if you go for the diffuser, you need the rear air-ducts, front airvents, and underdoor cover:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

That's about $30k to make it look right.

Now, we did go a little crazy on the interior carbon fiber:

Enjoy placing your order. We ordered in March, no allocation as of yet.

Rob

11. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    My Service Advisor swayed me away from CF on the rear bumper. Said one minor bump and it has to be replaced. No repairs.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SilverLeaf likes this.
  12. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    it's always seemed crazy to me that people would spec parts that are intended to be sacrificial impact absorbers (bumpers/diffusers) in carbon fiber. Sure, it looks great, but they're the most damage prone parts of your car even in a minor fender bender and atrociously expensive to replace.

NYC Fred, italiafan and Florida Joe like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Especially on a vehicle intended to be driven regularly.

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Seems like it's safer to just wrap that part with a carbon fiber finish (3M makes one) if you want the look without worrying about it all the time.

ryalex and Zince like this.
  15. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Whats the difference between carbon fiber and sex? You can never have enough carbon fiber. Congratulations, if you bought at MSRP you stole it lol.

16. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Congrats! That's exciting and look forward to seeing pictures of it on the forum!

- Blake

17. Portofinoman

Portofinoman Rookie

Jan 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike jacquet
    JayGeeee, LARRYH, RamsHmb and 2 others like this.
  18. JayGeeee

JayGeeee Rookie

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    James H Gill II
    Thanks for everyone’s input….. reconsidering rear CF. Can definitely find other places to spend that money.

19. MacNugget

MacNugget Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2007
    Texas
    I went with zero carbon fiber for my build. I like CF well enough on the mid-engine cars, but I think the Portofino can be done really well with a more classic spec. It's entirely a personal decision, of course. We like what we like and everyone else can pound sand.

Florida Joe likes this.
  20. Portofinoman

Portofinoman Rookie

Jan 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike jacquet
    Finally hit stage 90 and received my last photo.

Unfortunately I noticed the wheels were not what I had chosen. I talked to the dealer and someone entered the wrong code. Instead of RSFD they entered RSVD - all this time I have been looking at the configurator.pfd with the wheels I selected. It’s not that I don’t like the wrong wheels but I like the ones I selected better.

Dealer wants me wait until my car arrives before making decision about changing them. Anybody have similar experience ?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Porto 35B likes this.
  21. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The car looks gorgeous. I also think the rims are spectacular as shown. Wait till the car arrives and then decide as they may grow on you. If you’re still not totally satisfied then have the dealer change them. Best , Kirk.

22. Portofinoman

Portofinoman Rookie

Jan 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike jacquet
    bwelch, Porto 35B, ryalex and 7 others like this.
  23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

24. Portofinoman

Portofinoman Rookie

Jan 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike jacquet
    Yes, I thought it over and started looking at photos of those wheels and they grew on me more and more and now I love them as much as my original choice. Boardwalk Ferrari was great through the whole process and made it really easy to purchase my dream car.

My only problem now is my insurance company will only cover 50k for under insured motorist coverage - that won’t work so need to start shopping around.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Cigarzman likes this.
  25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Try State Farm , I have both of my F cars and a RR sport with them at a reasonable rate.

Florida Joe likes this.