TODA TAKE Spec 355 rebuild | Page 3 | FerrariChat

TODA TAKE Spec 355 rebuild

Discussion in '348/355' started by Future ferrari collector, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    "polishing up the existing ones" could mean as little as cleaning and re-assembling to any degree of porting for increased flow. I would guess based on your response it was a clean up/re-assemble.

If you don't have access to a dyno with a wideband, in the meantime at least install a wideband a/f sensor and gauge in your car to confirm it's not too lean at WOT/High rpm.

That's quite an investment into an engine, would be money well spent to confirm it's at least safe on the fuel side.

2. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    would like to write an eloquent comment about this, but i only have one word

D R O O L

Bas likes this.
  3. Callum Davis

Callum Davis Rookie

Sep 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Callum Davis
    Hi there,

Great build!

Would love to see a video of this engine running, how far off are you from having the car in a usable condition?

Thanks
    Callum

4. Callum Davis

Callum Davis Rookie

Sep 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Callum Davis
    Been thinking of using TODA to upgrade my F355 engine but have not found any videos of how the engine runs, would be great if there are some out there.

Worried its to 'racer' for regular use.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @INTMD8 If someone just ran their cams, would the stock ecu suffice?

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Stock ecu's with stock programming? I don't think they would. Even with stock cams a higher rev limit would be beneficial. Would need to be completely remapped in order to take advantage of different cams, IMO.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Do you have a 2.7 or 5.2? I can link some vids here later.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    He's got quite a bit of mods including light-weight front and rear bumpers, brakes, suspension, aero. Running Toda 4-1 headers. He's done alot to make it similar to challenge car spec. He does about 2:26-27 on Suzuka Circuit. I've seen a 355 challenge car with just an Ito muffler and re-valved Bilsteins do 2:25. Bottom line... start with a 2.7 car :).

10. Future ferrari collector

Oct 12, 2006
    Hi guys,

Not checked in for a while. Engine has been broken in, serviced and went for a re-map of the ECU to optimise timing, fuel mixture.
    So now she runs on 98RON, 93 Octane to you guys in the US, rather than 100RON/96 Octane as she came from TODA.
    Note that the dyno graph was from a Mustang dyno, supposedly more conservative on the HP numbers.
    Ran her up to 7.8k rpm with pleasing results, peak power is at 8.5k in current spec so TODA's numbers based on a race fuel, TODA exhaust set-up, giving 450hp is very believable.

Numbers aside, the increase in torque throughout the range plus the much more urgent pull pass 5-6k are extremely noticeable vs the old engine. Car is very tractable, what I used to do in a particular gear, I now can do the same or better in one gear higher.

Attached are the dyno numbers for those keen. Again, been busy running around to sort the car out so apologies for the PMs which will now be answer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Future ferrari collector

Oct 12, 2006
    To clear up any doubts, the Unichip rides piggyback on each individual Motronic ECU.
    The factory injectors are more than sufficient for this current set-up. Basically it was tuned till Best Lean Mixture then advanced till knock detected before retarding back 2 degrees on the timing. Works well.
    Fuel consumption is now approx 15-20% more
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Future ferrari collector

Oct 12, 2006
    It is perfectly usable on the streets. If anything, its more tractable now with the higher torque esp at the lower end which wasn't a 355 strong point. When you floor it while rolling along at say 5k, the only you might feel is the scrabbling for grip on the rears. I run PS4s 275s rather than the std 265. Sound wise, it is still recognizable 355, just a tad louder, deeper but the pitch/wail is the same.

Senshi458 likes this.
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice you were able to calibrate it on a dyno. Why cut the pulls early? I'm surprised at the amount of torque you picked up. Not sure how they arrived at 25% drivetrain loss.

14. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
  15. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Toda was always amazing stuff in my honda days. Would love to have there engine in my 360

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I'd like to talk to you about your cars warranty :)

IvanRico and Carmellini like this.
  17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I like it

18. Senshi458

Senshi458 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed