Rubbing on radio/nav touch screen display | FerrariChat

Rubbing on radio/nav touch screen display

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bill Phillips, Nov 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The radio/nav touch screen on my '13 Cali 30 has areas where usage has caused the anti-glare coating to rub away. This results in a 'blotchy' appearance where the rubbed spots are lighter than the surrounding area. It is much more noticeable when the unit is turned off and the screen is dark.

I googled fixes and found one using Meguiar's PlastX liquid to completely remove the remaining coating (like using rubbing compound to smooth out discolored paint), then apply an anti-glare protective sheet like the ones available for iPhone and iPad, or leave it bare, just so it has a uniform appearance. Has anyone tried this or any other method? Thanks.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I had this problem with my former California 30 ... I did not try to fix it. The radio itself is crazy expensive to replace -- $16,500 on Ricambi -- so it might be worth sourcing the same radio from a Chrysler and experimenting with that screen before attempting it on the Ferrari. The Chrysler radio won't work in the Ferrari but at least you could see if it works first.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1234560933?iid=392408377968

3. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, but I figured that since the PlastX is designed to remove scratches, the worst it could do was give me a bare screen with no anti-glare properties. So I put masking tape around the edges to protect the black frame and applied the PlastX sparingly as directed. Wiping off the first attempt left a few areas that looked like smudges or smears because I was only using a small amount. I did three more applications, using the same small amount, and each time the result improved until the screen was completely clean.

I have since driven the car with the top up and retracted, with the radio on and off, and it looks like new to me. I wish I had taken a ‘before’ picture, but with the unit turned off it was flat out ugly. Now it is very clean and the colors are as bright as can be.

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Nice to hear!

5. Seth Gillespie

Dec 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Seth Gillespie
    #5 Seth Gillespie, May 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2020
    I followed the same instructions. I got the car Professionally detailed by a kid that did not look old enough to drink and he created two large scratches going across the anti-glare surface, so what did I have to lose, now it looks 1000% better from when I bought the car used! Here are my pics ... let me know if you have any questions. Took about an hour with a lot of elbow grease. About 5+ applications. Corners are the hardest to get clean / clear!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

• 6.jpeg
      6.jpeg
      File size:
      136.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Looks great, glad it worked out for you.

7. Seth Gillespie

Dec 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Seth Gillespie
    It worked out great. The four little corners were nearly impossible to get completely clear (see photo). But you can't tell if you're not looking for them. I am having a shop laser cut an anti-glare insert which is 5" wide by 2 & 15/16" tall (just a hair under 3" tall).

Bill Phillips likes this.
  8. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Looking over this post again this evening I just noticed that your three gearbox control buttons are reversed from the way mine are mounted. PS - R - AUTO as opposed to AUTO - R - PS. Have they always been that way or are is it mine that are backwards?

9. Veloman

Veloman Rookie

Feb 16, 2019
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks to both of you for your posts! I have a 2012 Cali that I bought a year and a half ago. The car is in terrific shape, but one little thing that didn’t look good was the Infotainment screen with all those annoying finger blemishes. Today, I followed the above directions and it came out great. As you said, it took some time and the corners were the hardest part, but it was well worth the effort. Now the entire interior of the Cali looks brand new. Thank you again!

btw my gearbox buttons are mounted Auto - R - PS.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  10. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Would love an update here, how did it hold up without the coasting? Did you guys ever put any type of protection of the screen after removing the coating?

Thank you!

@Bill Phillips

@Seth Gillespie

11. Veloman

Veloman Rookie

Feb 16, 2019
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The screen on my Cali has held up very nicely, with no protection of any kind.

FrancisK likes this.
  12. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Thank you!

No issues with visibility or anything like that?

13. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Same here, no issues and I didn’t put any protective coating on it.

FrancisK likes this.