355 Cylinder Head Flow Data/Max HP Potential | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Cylinder Head Flow Data/Max HP Potential

Discussion in '348/355' started by sketos355, May 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    taz355 and Mark HT like this.
  2. sketos355

sketos355 Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    steve
    #52 sketos355, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    The TODA 'MATSU' spec has solid lifters and makes 491hp @ 8500rpm.
    Whilst they may be spinning the engine faster, its not with the intent of making more power.

Why this is the case.. ? Im not sure.
    I expect its that the bigger cams move the power curve so far to the right that it becomes a bit of a pig to drive down low.
    Or bigger valve lift starts to foul pistons at that compression ratio.

Typically, for a street engine, the preferred method of making power is to increase its displacement.
    Please correct me if im mistaken but I can't realy think of any manufacturers of conventional piston street( ie non rotary) production vehicles that utilise a 10K+ rpm to make their power.. im sure they exist, but if they do its not realy the norm.

After all wasn't it Enzo himself that said "Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races"

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    In racing, horsepower is king.

Displacement alone doesn't increase power and many times results in decreased power unless cylinder head/camshaft/flow capability is increased.

4. sketos355

sketos355 Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    steve
    Maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the case with TODA.

Consider the base spec "Ume" stroker kit.
    Displacement 3859cc (C/R 12.0:1) Standard camshafts..producing 436ps/8250rpm 44.6kgm/6000rpm

Although TODA tickle the head a bit.. I wouldn't say it has "drastically increased the cylinder head/camshaft/flow capability".
    Nevertheless it makes 436hp vs standard 380hp. ..
    All due to a 10% increase in displacemet and a 1 point increase in compression ratio with no help from a raised rpm limit.

So its been done.. and proven

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Huh? Exactly what I said holds true. Not increasing power with -just- increasing the displacement.

Adding a point to the compression ratio and cylinder head work is not that.

Also, stock camshafts don't mean unmodified valve events.

6. sketos355

sketos355 Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    steve
    Sorry , Im seem to be having difficulty following this logic..

Exactly how then does the TODA "Úme'' spec engine make 56hp more than the OEM unit, even though it has the same heads/cams & rpm limit?

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #57 INTMD8, May 24, 2022
    Adding a point of compression is noteworthy no?

To make peak hp at the same rpm as stock with more displacement and the same camshafts means they increased cylinder head flow and altered valve events.

If you took stone stock F355 heads and put it on a larger engine with stock compression ratio and factory spec valve timing, it would make peak hp at a lower rpm than stock.

The other thing missing, unless the info exists is baseline numbers from a stock engine.

"Toda bench test exhaust system was used"

So you would need to dyno a stock engine with that exhaust to have a direct comparison/known power gain with their engine.

8. sketos355

sketos355 Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    steve
    #58 sketos355, May 24, 2022
    Sorry.. Still confused.

Are you suggesting that TODA, a professional race team. is wasting their time in doing a stroker kit for the F355.?

Are you saying they can achieve the same results, if not better by just concentrating on raising the compression ratio and playing with the 'modified valve events'

Yes a bump in CR is noteworthy, but do you actually know how much HP comes from lifting the OEM F355 CR from 11:1 to 12:1...? (all other things being equal)

I would be interested to know this figure, so I can subtract it from the 56hp gain of the Take ''Ume" spec stroker, so I can work out the contribution to the HP gain by the 'modified valve events'

Also what exactly is meant by the term 'modified valve events' ?

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #59 INTMD8, May 24, 2022
    I didn't say they were wasting their time did I?

Simply read what I said, what is there to be confused about?

"Displacement alone doesn't increase power and many times results in decreased power unless cylinder head/camshaft/flow capability is increased."

To which you respond, you don't understand because they changed things -other than displacement- and power was increased?

So lets see a dyno sheet of-

-Stock engine with Toda exhaust

-Toda shortblock/exhaust with otherwise stock components

You can't take my comment and say well they raised compression, did head work, optimized valve timing and have no stock engine baseline so that's not true.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Couldn't say the exact gains from increasing the compression without testing it and you likely wouldn't do so without changing valve events.

What are modified valve events? Valve events are when the valves open and close, so by modifying them I mean altering them from original.

Once again, the "56" hp gain is an assumption by you as there is no baseline dyno from Toda with a stock engine and their exhaust system.

11. sketos355

sketos355 Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    steve
    #61 sketos355, May 24, 2022
    Not an assumption by me.. A statement from TODA themselves.

INTMD8, I know exactly how much 1 point in compression ratio does in a F355 engine..
    I won't disclose the result , but lets just say if you're looking for 'coffee' you're a long way from Starbucks!

TODA dyno sheets.. Do you have any.??! . I do..!!

The man with experience is never at the mercy of one with just an opinion.

Don't want to enter into a pissing contest here. Im not looking for an answer to the 'high rpm' vs ''stroker'' debate. We could be at this all day long with little or no results. INTMD8 if you want to express your ideas of your dream 'high rpm'' build I would be most willing to folow this .. but I suggest you start a separate thread to cater for those who prefer to go this route.

This thread is about providing the Fchat community with a viable and marketable stroker option to the TODA offering.As such any comments that can improve the power output from a F355 stroker unit are a welcome contribution for the benefit of all.

If this is not something people are interested in..thats OK.. then please let me know..
    I dont want to waste peoples time here.. I'm more than happy to take my bat and ball and go elsewhere....

Steve

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #62 INTMD8, May 24, 2022
    Once again, the power doesn't come from the compression ratio (or displacement!) alone. You seem to be glossing over this while repeating things that do nothing but back up my statement.

Your "56hp gain" is your assumption vs as you say "standard 380hp"

Certainly a complete custom exhaust from headers to tips along with engine management tuning and camshaft optimization is worth power over the original F355 computer/valve timing, headers, exhaust and 4 catalysts?

So what are Toda dyno results for a stock F355 engine with the same exhaust system/engine management used on their UME spec result?

I'm interested in this of course but don't want others to think things like "Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races" is true.

13. sketos355

sketos355 Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    steve
    #63 sketos355, May 24, 2022
    Sorry INTMD8.. but I refuse to engage..

Ive met people like you before.. They argue a point based on just opinions.. They can't back up their statements with evidence or experience.
    As such they create arguments that are only directed at one thing.. Accosting others to 'cough up their knowledge' to fill defects in their own understanding.

And once thats done, and they have the information, like 'psychic vampires' they go off to 'suck the blood info' from someone else..
    All the while parading it around like it was their idea in the first place.

INTMD8 .. exactly how many engines have you built stroker or otherwise..?
    How many Australian and World Competitive Automotive records do you hold with these engines that you have built?
    How many Race teams do you have advising you on your 'Disneyland' build.. ?

Every forum has them.. and congratulations.. You are the winner of that prize.

Well I gues its 'Áuf Weidersen' after all..
    You can thank INTMD8 for destroying this thread, for no other gain apart from nursing a bruised ego..
    The Stroker recipe will now remain with me.. Im cancelling my subscription..

Steve OUT

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #64 INTMD8, May 24, 2022
    LMAO, I do EFI calibration for a living, for over 20 years now and involved with various forms of racing for just as long as well.

Just finished building an engine for one of my own cars a few short months ago. And converting it to EFI, flex fuel, and of course tuning it.

Really I don't know why you started the thread. You ask questions and refute any answers, just wanting people to agree with you.

SoCal1, Mark HT and Targatime like this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's all so assinane. Stroker for what? Change pistons and put 2 little twin scroll turbos on it for god's sake. leave the heads bone stock no less.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    And I was having fun reading internet & back yard engineering at its best, ohh well back to rocket science and new quantum physic laws, this party's over :(

INTMD8 likes this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For now, the stroker build ended up exactly as many suspected. Fizzle. But who knows what the future holds. I'm holding out for it!

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

INTMD8 and SoCal1 like this.
  18. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    Thanks INTMD8 :)

IvanRico and INTMD8 like this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ LMAO :D

IvanRico and Mark HT like this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    About 15 years ago I used a CFD simulator to investigate a subset of your question.

That is:: How much HP and TQ could one get out of the F355 engine without going inside--but headers, exhaust, intake system are free game.
    The simulator used perfect ignition timing (I had no control over this)

Under street realistic situations I got to 440 HP.

To get there, you need::
    a) different velocity stacks (2%)
    b) different Helmholtz resonator (5%)
    c) custom headers with an expansion from 38mm at the head to 42mm (50mm long) down pipes to 50mm pipes after the 4-2 portion and 60mm pipes after the 2-1 portion. (2%)
    d) an expansion chamber after the headers (roughly 16 inches long 3" in diameter) (1%)
    e) and a special trick--The velocity stacks terminate inside a jar (just lightly bigger than a quart) which is then fitted inside the Helmholts resonator and has an exotic shape of its mouth (worth 20 HP all by itself) (5%)

All without going inside the motor. Stock cams, stock compression, stock valve timing, stock RedLine,.....

I tried porting the exhaust as the early simulations showed insufficient flow, but once the headers tube diameters increases and were coupled with an expanding pipe, this problem went away.

Oh, and BTW: when fitted with my models of the velocity stacks, Ferrari Helmholtz resonator, and Ferrari headers, and air cleaners I got 378 HP and a TQ curve that looked identical with the published TQ curve.

This is only simulation

Mark HT likes this.
  21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My experience on two engines
    One was a 355 very similar percentages
    My 355 gained about 25 hp from air box, headers and exhaust others results were similar
    Other engine was similar about 7%
    Other engine also got about 5% from cams and compression to 13.5 not stroked
    Cam timing had about 1.5 degrees more overlap from each.
    I am guessing but I would think very similar results would follow with our 355 based on correlation
    The result was the torque band gained about 10% from about 1000 rpm less and stayed very flat and only lost torque within 725rpm of factory redline

based on that I would think real world gains of 40 to 50hp or 10 to 12% are quite achievable.
    My guess is this is why others choose to lighten car by 10% and get on Jenny craig
    Cheaper and easier.
    Now doing both would be very good imo

22. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    56hp gain on an engine that produces 109hp per litre is incredible, more so being naturally aspirated. Like ive said, if you want a faster Ferrari, buy one. Otherwise no matter what you do, don't race a new Yaris.

23. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    The ups and downs of a highly modified F355 engine.

Easily breaks traction @17s :)
    Engine explodes @48s :(

24. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    3.5 litres should make 350hp on a good day. The fact it makes more is a real feat, especially since they guarantee this from the factory and give warranty. That's it folks, 375 give or take.