I need to charter a private jet for a good cause, can anyone help? | FerrariChat

I need to charter a private jet for a good cause, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FrancisK, May 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Wasn't sure where to post this but I felt F chat in general would be a good place to ask! Just don't really know where to start on this....

My cousin, my godson, is getting married. His brother who has dystonia is the best man, it's a terrible condition his brain is completely fine but his body has simply failed him. He pretty much needs to be able to lay down, so flying commercial is out we have tried that route. We're a huge family and we would have a lot of guys who would be willing to do this, it's obviously not something we are going to do often so we said screw and lets try and do this for him. It's a bachelor party for the bachelor but really it's an excuse to do this for his brother.

Probably 10-15 of us, not even sure where to start other than a random google search can anyone make some suggestions?

96redLT4 and Jacob Potts like this.
  2. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Try theses guys. They run specials sometimes.

https://flyxo.com/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

FrancisK likes this.
  3. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
    For a one shot deal, no jetcard or membership needed, this is the go to guide: https://www.aircharterguide.com/

Get to know the Wyvern abd Argus rating and certifications levels, as they do generally point the best operators.

FrancisK likes this.
  4. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    If you are based out of a larger city the local FBO might also have a charter division. For example, in Dallas the FBO at the smaller airport is MillionAir and they have a fleet for charters. For your group size you’ll need something on the larger side of the private jet world.

technom3 and FrancisK like this.
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would start with EJM or Solairus. You will need a Gulfstream or Global for that many people.

FrancisK likes this.
  6. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    What's the departure / destination and how long will you be on the ground?

FrancisK likes this.
  7. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Metro Detroit to Vegas, thinking like Thursday or Friday to Monday …

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Expect to pay for two round trips, most likely. Either from a Vegas (or SoCal) airplane or a Detroit area airplane.

9. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Why is that exactly? Thank you for the reply

10. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    @donv is right. They may not price it that way but every charter I have done gets expensive for wait time on the ground. Unless you happen on someone working a specific route.....the owners are not going to want the plane sitting at an airport when it could be making money elsewhere. In your case, the charter would take you from Detroit to Vegas and probably head back to Detroit after dropping you off. No way they are going to keep the plane there waiting for you even if you paid for the pilots salary, expenses and airport costs. Hence ......the two round trips.

It won't be cheap because owning a jet capable of taking that many is a very expensive operation. To take 10 people figure $7k per hour. Most have minimums which come into play. If I had to put a number on it.......you probably are looking at $35-40k for the trip. Not too bad when you divide it by 10 people but a lot more than commercial.

When I had access to a G5 it was awesome to hit multiple clients in the same day without the commercial airport hassles. We used to get a lot of requests for charitable use but we declined them because the pilots and crew were on our payroll and we weren't in the Charter business. From time to time we would lease it to other businesses to reduce maintenance costs....but even that was problematic when we needed the plane.

11. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Thank you so much for the reply, honestly it's 35-40k or even anywhere close that would be amazing because it wouldn't be an issue at all! Before I had made this thread I called my host in vegas and asked if he could refer me to anyone and the person I spoke that he knew told me something like 130k!

12. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    $130k is way too high for that trip. I can charter one to Europe for that price. Just call the ones recommended and tell them firm dates and the headcount. Post what you get for prices.....I'm curious. They should base it on 4 hours air time each way. If they quote 8 hours each way then they are charging for two round trips which will get very expensive.

Also, if the charter company owns the plane it makes a difference in pricing.

FrancisK likes this.
  13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No one is going to let their airplane sit around for 4 days waiting for you. So they will take you there, drop you off, go home, and then come back and pick you up. At least they will charge you that way... they may not exactly go home, or they may pick up another trip. It is possible to sometimes charter on these empty legs and get a deal, but you have to accept someone else's schedule, and you are still spending A LOT of money.

DET-LAS is going to be about 4 hours, maybe a little less, so two round trips is going to be 16 hours. Maybe 15. I'm a little bit out of touch with large cabin charter rates, but I'm thinking $6500/hour? So $97,500, but then there are excise taxes and extras, so I would guess $120-130k is probably about right. Maybe a touch high, but not much.

Some operators will charge you a 2 hour per day minimum, so that might be another way to go, depending on how long you want to stay. I'm not sure if that's still done in the charter business or not.

FrancisK likes this.
  14. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Thank you sincerely for the input, I suppose we could shorten the trip to 3 days but I don’t think that would alleviate the issue. I’m going to start making calls and getting some numbers and see where I end up. Another option would be to just send my cousin and his brother private and the rest of us fly commercial, so smaller plane but then can those smaller planes accommodate someone that needs to be laying down?

Going to start calling for some general numbers then get a head count and see where we end up.

Island Time likes this.
  15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just googled dystonia. Maybe a better plan would be to move everything to where the brother is.

16. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    I think your rates were good precovid, but now, I'd say closer to 10-15k/hr for legacy 450/falcon 2000. A few of the people I know with this class were walking me through their costs assuming 200hrs/year, and it's eyewatering! I'll stick to the 45xr.

RossoCorsaItaly likes this.
  17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Using Detriot as your starting location, contact Pentastar Aviation. I think they are at Willow Run airport.

donv and FrancisK like this.
  18. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    $60k each way for sure minimum. I work in the business.

technom3 and thecarreaper like this.
  19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #19 BJK, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Each way. So, would that be $60k x2? or x4? (Detroit to Vegas / Vegas back to Detroit > THEN 3? days later, again)

This is looking like the way to go. Take 1/4 or 1/2 of charter cost and go crazy, but close to where your brother is.

20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    curious, any decisions? o_O

21. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Working on it, all the suggestions have been extremely helpful and I sincerely appreciate the help. I’ve received some wildly ranging quotes.

BJK likes this.
  22. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #22 Jason Crandall, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    $120k round trip. I didn’t go into the details because it’s difficult explaining aviation to folks who aren’t in it. That will be the cost to the buyer.

BJK likes this.
  23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The quotes range wildly because they’re not all quoting the same thing with all costs in the quote. What you’re doing is really complex because there are so many details. This is why companies like netjets are successful. They make it easy and expensive to the buyer.

donv likes this.
  24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    These guys were helpful when I need to charter for a medical situation a year ago. Ended up not using them, but they were very professional.

https://ecsjets.com

25. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This email just came in at random a few minutes ago from ECSJets and outlines what is happening now in the charter industry. Hope this info helps in your decision making:

Bisonte and Texas Forever like this.