95 Berlinetta weight reduction and modifications. | Page 8 | FerrariChat

95 Berlinetta weight reduction and modifications.

Discussion in '348/355' started by INTMD8, Mar 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Hey James, what’s the weight of your custom Y-pipe? I just had my OE Y-pipe gutted and it still weighs quite a bit. Almost no change.

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I will check tonight, I thought it was 6lbs. I'm going to make one of those out of titanium as well though probably not much weight savings over the stainless one.

3. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

Hmmm. I haven’t weighed my Challenge mufflers (“quiet” one and loud one), but overall weight savings (in kg…not %-wise) don’t seem significant to me.

Good to know about manifold weight savings or lack thereof. Will keep using SS 321 version without emissions piping.

Interested in the Y-pipe weight savings, too.

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Not significant, but it is behind the axle. 7 lbs might not sound like much, but James' rear bumper weighs 7 lbs :).

INTMD8 and mclaudio like this.
  5. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    True. Ok, I’m interested in the exhaust muffler.

7-lb rear bumper…nice. Tell us more, James.

Sidebar (but related to weight reduction): is rear Challenge bumper same as the Euro bumper?

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Challenge bumpers come in U.S and Euro-spec. Aesthetic difference. A Standard Euro bumper should weigh much like a standard U.S bumper.

mclaudio likes this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The front and rear bumpers are dry carbon made by Safetech composites in Florida which is no longer in business.

I tried reaching out to him a few times to see if he had anything else available and did not get a response.

8. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    FWIW my MS Racing Y-pipe weighs next to nothing...

ShineKen likes this.
  9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    OCKlasse, mclaudio, Mark HT and 2 others like this.
  10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    OCKlasse, mclaudio, jimmym and 4 others like this.
  11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So the tips on the corvette exhaust were much too big and much too corvette. I couldn't find any titanium tips I really liked (most had a steel weld stub) so settled on simply taking 2.5" straight tube and slash cutting it. I then cut the back plate out of the corvette tips and cut them down to 2.5" to match.

I matched the angle of the Capristo. As for size they are slightly smaller than the Capristo but larger than stock. (stock fits inside these).

To backpurge I put 2 tips end to end, clamped in the middle and pulled together with a piece of threaded rod. I drilled the threaded rod (straight in from the end then out from the side) so they could be filled with argon.

Now just connecting outlets to tips and finish welding. Plan is to ceramic coat everything I'm building once completed. Would like Zircotec but a bit concerned about shipping.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, ShineKen, OCKlasse and 2 others like this.
  12. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks great Jim. Nice work. Can’t wait for your impression of the sound. Did you boroscope another muffler(Tubi, Capristo) for ideas on baffling?

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks! I looked inside the Capristo, pretty similar layout to what I put together. I think it was kenneyd who borescoped his Capristo and gave some details as well.

jimmym likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  15. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Is this going on a stroker engine?

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Sure, if someone wants to borrow it :D

17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Looks great, massive weight savings.... now it is time to test how it sounds.

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks. I think it looks -ok-.

Ended up a bit frankenstein/more pieces than I would have liked but just how it turned out as I was focused on flow and of course using a bunch of used parts.

I think it will look better coated, and even better when covered up by the bumper :)

19. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Nice. I may have missed it in previous post, but what is the exhaust you’re comparing and is 21 lbs heavier?

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ That's compared to Capristo.

mclaudio likes this.
  21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If you are after weight reduction, at that weight there are no hangers needed. I have a challenge style straight through exhaust that weighs ~8lbs and it does not move at all, so I wouldn't add any weight in bracketry as it won't do anything. at 15-20lbs (or 45lbs like the stock muffler) it starts to make sense, but 11lbs won't come close to bending or stressing any of those pipes.

The stock 45lbs muffler on the oem spring loaded mounts will put more stress and move around more than your muffler.

INTMD8 likes this.
  22. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Interesting. I have both the quiet and loud Challenge exhausts. Are you running the Challenge style straight through (loud) exhaust on the streets?

I’ll weigh it and see if 8 lbs.

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Good info, thanks Pete!

24. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah, I have the top speed pro f1 exhaust which is basically a challenge duplicate. I run it on the street, with test pipes it's loud unless you really baby it. I'm going to put cats back on it to quiet it a bit and make the bypass 'work.' Right now the main path is less restrictive than the bypass so it doesn't do anything and is a bit too loud.

mclaudio likes this.