So...how was the F1 race in Miami? Debating for next year... | FerrariChat

So...how was the F1 race in Miami? Debating for next year...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by TifosiConch, May 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Those who went, please do us a favor and tell us about the experience. The type of seats you had, the view, the crowds, the heat, the value, the parking, etc. I passed this year due to the huge price differential vs Austin, but I'm open to going next year...

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    General consensus from everyone I spoke with:

1. not worth the price
    2. traffic/parking not as bad as expected
    3. all about the show/lots of poseurs
    4. boring track but decent facilities given it's a parking lot

I got offered a free ticket last minute and didn't go.

craterface likes this.
  3. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Total ripoff, Worst major event in the US I’ve attended.

craterface likes this.
  4. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    I got my ticket from my Mclaren dealer’s allocation for the Mclaren Race House between two straights and with a clear view of the podium and the Jumbotron. I had parking in the first row across the street from the entry gate. I got a gift bag with Tee shirts and a team cap. Buffets, open bars, and tv’s were on all three floors every day with the first floor with AC and a souvenir shop. Facilities were within the secure perimeter. Mclaren notables saying hello were Zak, Mika and Emmo. The worst was running out of the beef tenderloin on one day but had the ice chest with shrimp, oysters and surprisingly stone crabs to fall back on. Not a bargain but compared to grandstand or paddock options it was a good choice.
    . Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. matt_bear

matt_bear Formula Junior

May 23, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I attended the Friday practices with a general admission ticket.

Parking section was a grass/dirt strip and about 2 miles away from the grounds. Great if you're looking to get your steps in. Don't drive your Ferrari to the event.

I had no real expectations going in. I've been to Sebring and the 24 hours of Daytona races a few time, so I was kinda comparing to that. It's a higher end feel and crowd, but I'm not sure it's worth more than the $300 grounds ticket. Definitely not worth $1k+ for a grand stand ticket.

kylec, papou and HotShoe like this.
  6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Start /Finish seats they only way you could follow the race was the small media screen opposite, who would build a main
    start/finish grandstand that for the last half of the race you had the sun in your eyes

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm seeing a couple this weekend who attended. I'll find out and circle back.......I mean report back .

ddrewesusa likes this.
  8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    My experience was awesome. I would say this was the best race. I went to Friday's practice. I parked right next to stadium without a parking pass. I drove up to the stadium parking gave the attendant $100 then I walked into the gate. It was not crowded. I grabbed my glass of champaign then found my seats with ease at turn 18. They were wonderful seats. I enjoyed all the vendors and shops with no lines. From the hardrock stadium I saw the drivers walking around. Hamilton on his scooter was buzzing around. Toto walked pass me.
    I quickly learned the lay of the land for Sunday's race.
    On Sunday I knew exactly where to go. I parked at a lot further away and paid a gentleman on a golf cart for a ride. He drove me right up to gate, I sat at my seats on turn 11 for the start.
    When the race started, I made my way to the stadium. They had food and drink without lines. You could see the entire race from the stadium with a nice breeze. Inside the stadium the pace cars were staging. I walked around the track viewing the race from different angles. Down below, I found places within 20 feet of the track. It was an incredible race and venue. The passing was amazing.
    I walked right up to the awards ceremony. After the race, the crowds dissipated. I found a beach bar on grounds. I grabbed some tacos and a drink. I watched the replay and the interviews on the several gumbo TV's.
    I walked back to my car and left the race without one stop in traffic.
    It was prefect. Miami did it right.
    Next year, I will hire a car to drive me up to the front and pick me up, purchase the pit pass and find a staging area with A/C. The key is Friday's practice. The other key is to walk around to check out different track locations.

9. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    "The worst was running out of the beef tenderloin on one day" I'm glad you survived that LOL. Seriously, thanks for the review, that McLaren race house looks awesome!

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    First thing they said it was really hot. Parking and getting in and out were a *****. It was a poor view of the track. The stadium does kinda get in the way. They have been to Austin and Montreal which they like better. Entertainment was good. They will return. They plan on Las Vegas next year.

I will probably attend next time.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Getting in and out was by far the worst part. But thats true for every F1 I’ve ever been to. The venue was great. Food and service were great. But the in and out is enough to make me never want to go to a race again. It sucks so much it overrides everything else.

HotShoe likes this.
  12. Lennon997

Lennon997 Rookie

Jul 25, 2022
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    V
    Had a great time in the AM paddock club, not cheap but nothing is and it was the most AC'd area on the entire campus.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. DallasDDS

DallasDDS Rookie

Aug 21, 2012
    I spent 4 days there, very well done event, I spoke with some of the F1 Experience people and they commented how well Miami hosts events like this. I purchased the Trophy package so I attended on Thursday. They walked us past the paddocks. All the teams were there. Saw Vettel, Checo, Toto and more. They then took us to take pictures with both the constructors and drivers champion trophies. Lastly they loaded us on a flatbed truck and drove us around the track, they had 2 former minor F1 guys giving insight on the driving the track. I paid about $2500 per ticket and it included seats in the grandstand at the end of the long straight. We got to see them fly down and then slam on the brakes before turning past us as they headed to the start finish line.
    Over all a great event.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

TifosiConch and of2worlds like this.
  14. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I don't understand the parking comments. Every single F1 event is crowded. I have taken a helicopter into the races. The helicopter pad is crowded. It's a large-scale event.
    It's all about planning and moving around the event. It's going to full of people.

15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Well in comparison to many other venues there is very, very limited parking. That area just doesn’t have much free space but at least people know what they are getting into when they decide to go there. Everyone I know who drove there said it was an absolute nightmare getting there and back but to be fair that can be said of any big event in Miami. Helicopters excluded. ;)

I’ll put up with the transportation nonsense once prices get to “normal” levels. I’m sure after a few years the shine will wear off and all the trendy people will move on to the next thing. IMO the track just isn’t worth the Miami cost premium. It will be interesting to see if Vegas goes the same route as I’m sure it will.

16. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    I have tickets for 2023 Miami and the hotel already booked. Hoping to get access to some of the lounges via friends or the dealership. Any advice appreciated. Sounds like parking was the biggest issue.

17. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I sat in the main grandstand at COTA Austin this year so I had a good comparison to the Podium Club from last year. I preferred the main grandstand, nice view of the cars at speed and the uphill into turn one where Sainz crashed, dashing my hopes. No free drinks, but they got rid of the stupid PXG golf demo so less crowded in the Velocity Lounge. I liked it so much I bought the owner's PSL(personal seat license), so now I will get my seats every year. I'll go to Miami 2023 if I can score tix from friends...PS Parking in Austin also sucks, this year I parked a mile away and rented bikes- it worked. On quali day, some parking exit frustrated yahoo pulled a gun on someone who cut him off, you can imagine how that snarled things further when the cops swarmed in.