RATTLE IN SEATTLE | FerrariChat

RATTLE IN SEATTLE

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, May 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Wrist deep in making soup yesterday afternoon I was startled by the sound of an approaching big recip and I was unable to rush outside to see what it was. It was great to hear one again since all the museums moved to Spokane. We always had a B-25, or some other thunder-maker coming over the house on final so this one brought back some good memories. What I heard was "DOC", the B-29, on long final for BOE where it is parked in front of the Museum of Flight for tours and flights. I didn't realize how much I missed hearing and seeing the old stuff. C-152's are about as exciting as boiled strawberries.

ralfabco, afterburner, johnei and 5 others like this.
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Okay, a slip of the brain. Not BOE, but BFI. Boeing Field International. Those R 3350's on Doc are a lot louder when they aren't running thru the turbo chargers that have been removed.

3. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I had the good fortune to be outside in the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle to watch "Doc" fly overhead this morning. Unfortunately, I was a bit too slow to get a photo. Definitely sounds unique and impressive in the skies of today. Looks like the Seattle leg of the tour is over, but there are some other upcoming appearances in the western half of the U.S.
    https://www.b29doc.com/

4. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    It made another pass this evening ...

Attached Files:

Jacob Potts likes this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    We live at the north end of Lake Washington in north Edmonds and Doc has flown over three times now at fairly low altitude and the sight and sound brings back many memories. What a great machine! Haven't heard the sound of those big engines for years now. Thinking back of my flight in FIFI when the P-51 " Ho Hun" was 25 feet from us in close formation...and I didn't have a camera. Still a wonderful memory.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Why did they remove the turbo chargers?

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    They are not flying at higher altitudes or hauling heavy bomb loads anymore.

Ak Jim likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hard to maintain, too, and puts additional stress on the engines from the boosted airflow.

zygomatic likes this.
  9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I made some rough calculations and I estimate that they saved about 450 pounds per nacelle by eliminating the turbos, support structure, ductwork, and controls.Tremendous amount of ducting to get the supercharged air cooled and to the carburetors. Two turbos per engine and they are big and heavy and require their own oiling system. Lots of maintenance like Taz said.

afterburner and Jaguar36 like this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Fuel burn cut by approx. .... ? o_O

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Probably not. Superchargers and turbochargers can actually improve consumption at low boost levels.

BJK likes this.
  12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is it a big project to remove them? Maybe some applications didn’t have the turbos and therefore there are parts already available for the removal as opposed to having to fab up the new intake and exhaust systems minus the turbo.

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A few years back I talked to a couple of Fifi's maintainers and they said it was for exactly these reasons they removed the turbocharger: lower stress on the motors and easier maintenance.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I doubt if any of the U. S. heavy bombers currently flying have had functioning turbos since their respective restorations.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that you are correct, Jim. No need for them now. I looked up some data on them and the latest model , the C-23, weighed 245 pounds, earlier models were bout 145-150 pounds. With a bucket wheel spinning at 24k rpm , the maintenance was critical and expensive.

Ak Jim likes this.