Walking | FerrariChat

Walking

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TheMayor, May 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Man Covid did me in -- or at least that was the excuse.

But I've started eating much, much better and WALKING. I started with about 5000 steps, moved up to 10,000 the next couple of days, and did 15K today.

Have to do it early morning before its too hot. I feel great but I need to get better fitting shoes (on order). I could use a tredmill but walking for 90 to 120 minutes even with music would pretty boring. Better to get out and see what's going on.

Anyone had success with walking? Any tips? I don't really have a goal but if I could lose about 70lbs in a year I would be ecstatic. I would be as thin as I have ever been in my adult life.

2. One thing that really helps with metabolic health and insulin control, is to walk after every meal.

Doesn't have to be a long walk, even 5-10 minutes works.

Not only does it help with weight control, but digestion, which is just as important to overall health.

XLNLIFE, Gh21631, Maximus1973 and 2 others like this.
  3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Walking has also been studied in older persons to help with brain health and coordination.
    Good on you to do it.
    I have my dogs to keep things interesting and keep me motivated to do some waking with them.
    I do sometimes good for me and for them.

4. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Start by walking then mix in light jogging where you can, just walking alone does not elevate your heart rate enough to burn fat effectively. Increase the jogging component as you can. If the jogging hurts, try on a softer surface if possible.

MANDALAY, Edward 96GTS and TheMayor like this.
  5. While jogging will certainly raise your heart rate, it is most definitely not necessary to burn fat.

In fact, jogging will tend to burn glycogen more than your body's fat stores.

The bottom line to reducing weight is a simple equation, calories in < calories out.

In other words, you need to create a calorie deficit.

You can do this by exercising (or simply moving) more, or eating less, or ideally both.

And not to muck up too much of the OP's post about walking, but a really good way to increase metabolic health and resting metabolic rate is muscle mass. Because muscle tends to burn more calories at rest than fat does, even though the difference is slight, there is still a difference. So a couple of days of weight lifting will do wonder not only for your total daily caloric expenditure, but just overall metabolic health.

Good luck to the OP.

6. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My neighbors , 85 & 81 have been walking as a couple w/ a dog , 4- 5 miles every single day , practically in every weather , for probably more than the 26 years I have lived here . They look they are in their 70's , they are sharp, witty and fun to talk to.
    They are my inspiration.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    @ipsedixit hit this exactly on target. First thing I did was use MyFitnessPal and started tracking calories. It isn't so much about a diet but you learn where you are getting calories and you can adjust as you see fit to hit the targets. Personally, I didn't care about the 'calories' I burned exercising or walking and I shot for my base target number. You don't want to run a huge deficit because the body will adapt and store more as a precaution. Plan to lose 1 lb per week, you can go at 2 but not for more than 4-5 months. The beauty of counting calories is it isn't a diet so you don't get to your weight and quit the diet, you learn to eat a bit better and smaller portions. More on that in another post.

Walking is great and an excellent start if you have a lot of weight to lose. The beauty of muscle mass is that you burn more calories at rest than you did before so you can lose weight a lot easier. Personally, I work with a trainer (have for years) and I have added a lot of muscle mass. My ambient calorie burn is now quite high so my diet is a LOT looser. Start by walking, add in weights, work with a trainer, you will get there.

Showing up wins most of the points because you will something no matter what.

italiafan and Maximus1973 like this.
  8. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Walking is one of the most healthy habbits we humans can do to not only enhance quality of life, but also expand our life span. Walking has even been proven to one of the best ways to fight and prevent various cancers, and other health threats.
    If you want to do it to lose weight, it's a great way to get started on your journey.
    But it's not the best way to lose body fat. A combination of something that elevates your heart rate a bit more is better, like jogging, cycling, etc. And what others have said as well, weight training is often the missing link. Try to build muscle, not just for appearance, but also to increase calories burnt and overall health.

70lbs of fat lost in a year is doable. Opt indeed for 1-2lbs per week; not more. You will hit a wall sometimes, but keep going and see where you can adjust a bit. At least you've succeeded in getting started, most don't even try that!
    Try to enjoy life and food and you will be happy you've switched. Feeling better, healthier and more energetic is so much more rewarding then shoveling a Whopper down!

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I forgot to add: If I had one piece of advice about weight training, particularly as we get a bit older, is focus on core and legs to begin with. Those will change your life because you will get around easier and everything will feel easier. The upper body is great fun but it is more about show than changing your life. Yes, the show part helps the ego and you like to see the gains so I wouldn't skip that part; if nothing else those gains make you feel good about it and help to keep you motivated. BUT do keep a focus on legs and core.

10. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My wife and I started walking our neighborhood during the lockdown and now we do it all the time. I live in a pretty hilly area so it gives a a great workout. We have been living here since 1990 and there were streets we had never gone down or only driven on really quickly so it’s great to walk the area and see what’s happening. We also got to meet some nice neighbors that I would never have spoken to if not for walking.

Skidkid likes this.
  11. 70 lbs in a year is certainly doable, but I think that's a bit ambitious.

I would aim for 1lb/week, while also adding in some resistance / weight training, which will mess up the weight on the scale a bit for you because muscle is more dense than fat, which means your clothes might start feeling looser but the weight on the scale won't budge. Worry not, it's just your body recompositioning itself.

WJHMH, italiafan and Skidkid like this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Walking is the best. Combine that with hills or stairs and some sportbands and you got pretty complete exercise.

My 89yo father walks 2miles after every meal. He is sharp and fit enough to be eyeing what he says will be his "last" new sportscar. The dealer dropped off a new supra mid-pandemic 2020. Now he wants something else before the end. He probably has 2 sportscars in him.

Maximus1973 likes this.
  14. At the end of the day losing weight is not that hard.

Move a bit more and/or eat a bit less.

What’s hard is adhering to that regiment.

Island Time, italiafan and Skidkid like this.
  15. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    True and thus a life style choice is what is needed.
    In order for that to stick you need to do/eat what you love.
    No one can live of a dry pice of salad each and everyday; just as eating birthday cake each day isn’t the smartest thing to do.

italiafan likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    #16 MANDALAY, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022

Dont have anything for breakfast. Intermittent fasting . Start 16 / 8.

With regards to walking , tread mill is better. The time will go very fast if you can do this.

START Brisk walk at rate of 10 minutes per 1 KM or 10 minutes per 0.62 MILE monitor heart rate. possibly around 120 ?

At 5 minutes increase speed so your heart rate gets to 200 - your age. Then slow down back to the 10 minutes per 0.62 MILE.

At 10 minutes do the same.

Do this every 5 minutes.

You can then gauge the improvement yourself.

This will make your heart stronger and max weight loss.

I am not a doctor so please get checked first.

I can say this , if fasting and eating well and < 1500 calories you will loose 1-2 pounds per week.

I use the word calorie very loosely. NOT ALL Calories are the same. They might have the same value but there are the good and the bad.

NO SUGAR, NO SEED OILS , ZERO. This is what is killing America and many other countries.

Apple cider vinegar every day, Cod liver oil, K2 , Vitamin D and B.

I will say Intermittent fasting will be your best friend to loose weight ;)

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I should have asked how is your blood sugar ? Any prediabetes ?

Insulin is the major problem. Reduce it . This is why calories aren't all the same. Calorie in and calorie out is NOT a solution unless you are counting good calories.

DO NOT FOLLOW the food pyramid. That will make things worse

Maximus1973 likes this.
  18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Intermitted Fasting is an easy protocol for most people to do. Easy to folow and understand IF you feel comfortable with it.

There has been a ton of actual good research done on IF recently (mind you long term studies). The results were quite shocking to to IF community but not to the scientific community.
    IF works exactly the same as reducing calories. So in short it's a weight loss protocol like simply eating less. It's not a magic pill.
    But again, some people find it's easy to follow, so not demonising it at all!

Skidkid and MANDALAY like this.
  19. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Focus with eating on protein - vegies - carbs each meal in that specific order. It will increase your satiety and prevent quickly overeatin gand spiking the dreaded insulin.
    And make sure you like what you eat; else you won't stick to your diet plan!

20. Bingo.

There is nothing magical about Intermittent Fasting.

It is simply one way to restrict calories.

At the end of the day, no matter what you do -- be it IF, Keto, Mediterranean, IIFYM, etc. -- it all comes down to calories in, calories out.

You cannot outsmart the basic laws of thermodynamics.

Skidkid and Maximus1973 like this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    #21 MANDALAY, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Something happened in the late 70's going into the 80's.

People started getting fat , more and more every year. Most of the evidence for the reason goes to the Sugar / Carbohydrate and Seed oils even though they are call vegetable oil ( they arent vegetables )

The point of intermittent fasting really stems from the days we actually only ate 3 times a day. Now most eat all day spiking their insulin. Whilst insulin is there there will be no weight loss.

The intermittent fasting is not a fact of less in its a fact so that the body needs energy and will use the fat in your body. Thats it simple.

If person ate 2,500 calories that didn't create insulin ( 2,500 calories used in a day ) he will lose weight.

If person ate 2,500 calories in sugar he will gain weight even though 2,500 will be consumed per day of normal living.

This is a fact.

Wrong calories will increase weight.

Satiety is a physical feeling of fullness that prolongs the intake of more food, and it’s a big factor when it comes to understanding why all calories are not created equal.

22. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Actually even way before the 70’s. It was when President Roosevelt had heart problem and his doctor at that time determined it was due to his dietary fat intake. Yet that stigma was actually never proven. When consumers started to eat less fat and more refined carbohydrates, obesity became a true pandemonium. Now there is so much money involved that it’s here to stay. Companies like Coca Cola and Phillip Morris (from one addition to the other) have invested billions into the sugar industry.

So yes, we need to eat waaaaay less sugar. But that won’t be easy form the global majority.

I’d be carefull stating facts as each person has a different biology. Yet we do indeed have our insulin raised way too much. As a species we can become so much healthier with consuming a better balanced diet….

23. This is a bit misleading.

From a strictly biological perspective, the “calories in versus calories out” is the critical fulcrum for weight loss.

You will only lose weight if you consume fewer calories than you burn, regardless of the types of food you eat.

However, as you rightly note, this model fails to take nutrient density into account, which is highly relevant to health. Moreover, different foods can impact your hormones, metabolism, hunger, and feelings of fullness differently, in turn influencing your calorie intake.

But calorie intake still does matter. You simply cannot eat 1000 calories more than your daily maintenance caloric levels and expect to lose weight even if those calories are from non-process, whole foods. Biology does not work that way.

Practically speaking, some foods make it easier for you to remain at a healthy weight, all while optimizing your overall health. Focusing solely on calories may cause you to miss the big picture, as you rightly note.

But regardless, you will only lose weight if you take in less calories than you consume. How that energy balance equation is calculated (with process foods or whole foods) will differ, but that equation holds true nonetheless.

Shorn355 and tfos750 like this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

May I suggest that you look at this video.

What I learnt in Biology 101 in Uni was wrong. The body adapts .

25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO