812 wouldn’t start | FerrariChat

812 wouldn’t start

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Ngcanada, May 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Something not so right. The car is always on the tender when not in use. I went out for a drive and did some errands and returned to the car and it would not start. The lights on the dash lit up, everything seemed normal but the when I pressed the brake pedal to continue the start sequences, it would crank for and then not turn over the motor. Then I tried again and it did the same thing over and over. I called Ferrari roadside after a few attempts and arranged for a pick up and tow. The closet dealer is almost 2 hours away from me.
    So I left the car at the bank where I was and went home to get one of the other cars so I can wait for the tow which was two hours away. When I came back to the car, I tried just for the hell of it and it started. So I went for a drive and everything seemed normal, until about thirty minutes of driving and error code popped up and said Start/Stop not available and it seemed it went into wet mode on its own and the car seemed like it was limiting me power, so I brought it home to wait for the tow. The car went to the dealer.
    Do you guys think this is battery related? My dealer said they put the battery on a charger to see if it will take a full charge. I have not heard back from them since. Hate being away from the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    That’s weird but the battery can created all sorts of gremlins. My gts is in for an engine failure message that shows and then disappears….we are thinking battery as everything else is ok. I should get it back early next week and if there are any epiphanies I will pass on. Clearly a different issue but who knows what’s causing either!

Altoria F likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All the signs of a crappy OEM battery. Ask for an Interstate or equivalent replacement.

ScottS, Jordan68, ryalex and 4 others like this.
  4. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Also ask them to check the wiring harness. Experienced a similar issue, except the car would not start again after throwing various electrical errors. Turns out the car kept popping a fuse due to an issue in the harness.

5. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #5 sunghyun7, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Sounds like the battery. Very similar to what happened to mine. Takes a lot of amp to start our v12's! You can do a load test. but sounds like you're under some warranty? I wouldn't worry too much.
    Ask the dealer to do a load test if they think the battery is ok.

Altoria F likes this.
  6. pittferrari

pittferrari Rookie

Sep 11, 2021
    pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Ghassan A
    seems like a battery issue, good luck with fix

Altoria F likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This is almost exactly what's happened to me with cars that have had batteries with bad cells. I think very likely a battery issue.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Except if the car is near end of warranty then push for battery replacement. They will tend to say its not great but still good. You may have to pay up for parts and labor next time and this is not an easy DYI.

Caeruleus11 and RamsHmb like this.
  9. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will not know anything until Tuesday as it is a long weekend here in Canada. I will push for a new battery if they say it just needed to be charged. No way I will accept and live with that paranoia of leaving me stranded.
    It’s somewhat comforting that some of you have gone through this. My 458 just started throwing weird codes and they changed the battery as it was deemed non sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  10. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Well, some interesting updates. I received the car back this past Tuesday from the dealer which is 1 1/2hr away. They deemed it was the battery, so they charged it only. I argued with them that I do not want the car back unless it has a new battery as I have lost confidence that this would leave me stranded. It is not my first Ferrari and I know the message gremlins that it threw is battery related. Long story short, they sent my car back with the same battery albeit fully charged. I insisted that I want a new one, but apparently, Ferrari scanned the car and it went through its diagnostics and deemed the problemed resolved. If I wanted a new battery, they told me Ferrari said I would have to pay for it. F that, I have a warranty for two more years. I received the car back Wednesday evening and immediately went for a drive with my 14 yr old son.......guess what........an hour later the message gremlins appeared again, no manettino available, rear suspension disabled, start/stop not available, Ediff failure, 4 wheel steer disabled and many others that I cannot remember. The car went into wet mode and automatic and I brought it home. So I spoke to them yesterday in the AM, they sent another enclosed trailer, picked up my car and changed the battery to a new one. Now, the car is due back again this morning.

Boomhauer, Flea7, ryalex and 3 others like this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    If the dealer only tested the "voltage" that is incomplete. They must do a CCA test (cold cranking amps), that would tell you the relative strength of the battery, if the CCA test reveals the battery is more than 5%-10% under is stated CCA rating (should be on the battery label), time to replace (typically, when new, the battery will test well over its CCA rating)

Further, as preventative maintenance I would suggest simply replacing the battery at 36 months since installation, unless using some high end replacement battery, a standard battery is living on borrowed time the older it gets from 36 months, no need to let it leave you stranded before you replace it.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Funny enough, I’m about to be on battery number 3 in my 812. I leave it on the trickle charger when not in use, I drive it more than 20 minutes any time I start it, and I have nearly 20,000 miles on the car now since I took delivery mid 2020.

All the symptoms you described happened at each point when the batteries died. First time it happened I was fortunately down the street from my ferrari dealer. They did a load test and replaced the battery the first time. It happened again yesterday when I was about an hour away from home/the dealer. I was able to jump it with a jump box and get the car home, now deciding on whether I go with a better aftermarket AGM or go anti gravity. 2 batteries dead in 2 years time.

Thecadster, Flea7 and ryalex like this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Here in the desert we're lucky to get more than 2 years on a battery. On my other cars I get the AutoZone 3 year warranty and have cashed in at least one replacement every time.

355 - two in 4 years
    458 - replaced after a year (only had the car 15 mos)
    F12 - once after a year
    Alfa Giulia - third battery in 3 years
    Wife's QX80 - 3rd in 4.5 years

14. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    My car wouldn't start after about a week unplugged, which is pretty sad. This is already the second battery.

As for the OP I had the exact same issue. Literally came back from a drive, tried to start the car again and the battery was donzo.

Flea7 likes this.
  15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #15 Flea7, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    Stew, Jonathon,
    Let me know if you get an aftermarket one. I planning on changing mine as well. A couple of members recommend braille B10049 . Any opinions?

16. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I'm leaning towards getting an antigravity battery and trying it out. I chatted with FoS and they'll warranty my battery, but I'm kind of tired of annually replacing the battery. I bought a jump pack to keep in the car for when the car dies and I'm out and about, hate having to use it.

17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    no worries on it being lithium ???

18. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Not really. Alternator should charge the battery, and it will likely be completely fine.

19. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    And I hope they sent a bottle of champagne with the car back after that kind of interaction.

I know they’re limited to what Ferrari let’s them do and will pay for but honestly…
    Once a battery goes in these cars with a bad cell or whatever it is the source of so many gremlins in a repeating nature

Surely they know better or should know better

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The AG batteries are Li-Fe not Li-Ion. Those are a lot safer from a fire risk standpoint.
    The charging and balancing etc. is handled internally in the battery. Only addition needed is the CTek lithium charger and a magnetic connector for the CTek to the car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If it's an 812 you need to check the size. If memory serves, the 812 switched to a group 48 size battery. This should be possible without pulling the battery. If it is indeed a group 48, you need Braille B7548.

In any case as far as AGM batteries go, Braille is as good as it gets. Their batteries are developed to handle heat in a high performance environment, and their current delivery is far beyond what your normal AGM can do. Yes it may be 150 bucks more than jour average Interstate or whatever, but they are also in a different league.

AntiGravity or Braille AGM. Both work great. It depends on what you prefer. Loved the AG in the Lusso for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Car is back with a brand new crappy Odysey OEM battery. I asked them to give me an alternative but Ferrari will only give me this one. Anyway, I did notice that the car actually fired up with a little more vigor. I remember reading a thread here about a lazy start and funny enough, the older battery was giving this compared to the new one in the car right now. All Ferrari gremlins are gone for now.
    The battery option apparently quoted from my dealer is an Interstate MTX48H6. If I were to change out the battery to a Braille, my understanding is that our magnetic OEM charger will not work? Which Ctek charge model is required and magnetic connector if I were to order one?

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  23. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Hey Stew, which jump box do you have, and is there a specific way to connect this jump box when you have to use it. I was told by Ferrari Roadside that I cannot jump start it myself as I may damage the electricals. Maybe if you could do a step by step procedure for us dumb dumbs, that would be fabulous, I really hated being at the mercy of Ferrari Roadside who is 1 1/hrs from me/dealer.

SirTony76 likes this.
  24. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    When I go to pull the battery to confirm the size I’ll get some pictures for a little how to. I’ll also double check if the workshop manual has their preferred method. I’d guess the owners manual also has it, but it could also just say take it to the dealer lol.

When I’ve done it, and when I had the dealer come do it when I was down the street with no box, we hooked red to the big red post we could access and black to the negative quick disconnect. Every time I’ve done it this way it worked just fine. I’m guessing the reason they say you could mess it up is if you do it backwards you can really damage stuff. But with modern jump boxes they’ll confirm if you’re hooked up reverse polarity.

This is the jumper that I’ve got, only time it doesn’t work is when the battery is absolutely flat dead. If the battery will light up the dash this thing will work. https://no.co/gb70 Noco GB70

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #25 Il Co-Pilota, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
    This is incorrect. Both are AGM batteries. The only batteries that will need a new charger, are the lithium options The Braille 7548 is 100% plug'n'play with no new charger needed as it also AGM.

The Antigravity H6 60ah or Braille i48CS will need the CTek Lithium XS and this adapter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/182967461758
    Those adapters work great. You can also use them with CTek AGM chargers if you want to try a better charger than the stock Ferrari charger but stick to an AGM setup.

Caeruleus11 and SeattleStew like this.