Red wine | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Please post tasting notes when corks are pulled. Well done.

2. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    2018 Domaine Charles Audoin Bourgogne is drinking very well now and in the low $30 range in the US.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The Pinot?

4. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Yes. A pinot. It is a very good all around wine that pairs well with most dinners. Bright red fruit like cherry and slight strawberry, baking spices and nice acidity. I put a couple bottles away to drink in a decade and grab the others when I don't know what I want to drink.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dustman likes this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you…ordered.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    surfwolf likes this.
  7. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    You can never go wrong with Caymus, quality wine even during "Off" years in Napa.
    Try the Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon, if you get the chance.......

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The GF prefers Bourgogne while I'm a long time Bordeaux drinker - but we discovered that Saint Estèphe is a possible choice for her (other Bordeaux I like she usually finds too tannic for her taste). This one is not bad, 2015 being a good year:

WHipround and UpNorth like this.
  9. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Purchased this CDP at the airport my first trip to France. Not the best appellation, since I’ve learned over the years. But still a CDP, one of my favorite wines and regions. And IIRC, it was only 15 to 20 euros back then.

Flavor messages evoking plums, red fruit, and a touch of hoisin with leather notes. Not much minerality. Good structure. Enjoying with a cheese and charcuterie plate on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

wax likes this.
  10. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Question here…I was a big fan of Caymus until 2012…That year they change to much more extraction on the « regular » Caymus…And this is where I started missing the old way it was done…Don’t you think?
    This is not the case for the Special Selection…IMHO…

11. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe

I agree, the regular level Caymus has dropped some. It is still good, but yes I think the quality level has declined. This is directly related to Chuck Wagner turning daily operations of the vineyard over to his children/grand children. Chuck only cared about the quality of the wine, an example is the quality of the cork/size.
    Unfortunately this has happened to a lot of wineries: Grgich Hills, Rubicon, ect.

12. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
  13. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Dai Baracca, Raconteur and poljav like this.
  14. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hey wine lovers, I just discovered this thread on Fchat, so new to the conversation. I am a life long wine geek and currently grow Pinot Noir grapes and make our own wine as a hobby. We are in the Russian River AVA. I am fortunate to get to drink lots of small production, very special wines.

I'll start by sharing a story about Chuck Wagner. In 1975 a highs school friend of mine worked at a liquor store and was tasked with driving up to Napa (we lived just south of the San Francisco airport) and looking into buying wine to sell in the liquor store. The first place we stopped at was a non-descript 1950's ranch style home with a vineyard in back. The winemaker had the garage door open and he was inside with an old door on a couple of wine barrels and cases of wine stacked up in the garage. We tasted his wine and he gave us a beginners intro to wine. It was a fascinating 2-3 hours visit. The wine maker was Chuck Wagner. Ever since then I have been a fan of Caymus, especially the Special Select.

If anyone is visiting Sonoma County, let me know and I can make suggestions of wineries, restaurants, places to stay, etc. I have spent a lot of time in Napa over the years but since we moved to Sonoma about 6 yrs. ago, don't go there too often so not as current on travel recommendations. Last time was on a Ferrari club drive a few months ago.

15. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    TifosiConch likes this.
  17. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    , the 97 I

Thanks for the offer, I love Sonoma more than Napa and my ATF cabernet is Peter Michael les Pavots, the '97 I had about 10 years ago still stands as the best wine I have ever tasted, including Harlan Estate and first growth Bordeaux. I always drive up the coast from San Francisco and turn right, I have found some great and lonely seafood spots on that drive.

gw32 likes this.
  18. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Great story of old school Napa when it wasn’t really on the map yet. No large visitor centers or over commercialized wineries, just a shed, a vineyard, and great wine.

Give us your recommendations for Sonoma! When I did my wine trip a few years ago I stayed in Sonoma since I was spending a few days at the track for a Corse Clienti event. Loved staying in Sonoma and walking to the city square. For my winery tour day I went over to Napa but also visited a small winery on moon mountain which was really cool.

gw32 likes this.
  19. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    wax, LVP488, Jim P and 1 other person like this.
  20. WHipround

WHipround Rookie

Jan 22, 2021
    Guildford
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lowe
    I was drinking this recently although unsure of the year. Any thoughts on the '21 vintage?

21. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Matthew. perhaps you can try an entry or mid level Pomerol for her. These will be a bit lighter and perhaps not as tannic. Some burgundy drinkers find merlot based wines more to their liking, BUT, given the terroir, different grape, different wine making methods, etc. there is simply Burgundy and then there's Bdx. I wouldn't get too caught up in vintages. We've previously had this discussion. The right winemaker with the right approach can work magic in terrible years, while volume based producers can screw up what nature has provided. Burgundy has seen a terrible streak of "late" frost which has been devastating for the growers there.

22. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Maybe a Chateau Nenin Pomerol?

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The today's wine, from my personal reserve - the advantage of having a wine cabinet is that I did not pay anywhere close to the current market price since I bought it years ago; but anyway it's very good and worth the (even current) price :) (I like Pessac-Léognan, so I may not be completely impartial):

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    dustman likes this.
  25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed