"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston | Page 19 | FerrariChat

"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ronald A. Berke, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    Thanks!

2. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    At their Geared Online Spring Auction, Gooding & Company just sold a lot comprising a Miura Standard Edition and the Register for 5,250 USD (incl. buyer's premium).

375+, gt4me and Zeltweg like this.
  3. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Zeltweg likes this.
  4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    28%!!!!!!!!! Auction fees are absolutely scandalous. Especially when some of the auction houses do such a terrible job.

Lusso123, Zeltweg, Buchpilot and 2 others like this.
  5. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Seems I was wrong, on this item fees of 33.6% !!

Pretty much in line with Gooding at 25% + 10% California sales tax

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Don't forget uplift charges, shipping and duty.

Buchpilot and MHK69 like this.
  7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I looked at this auction, and considered registering to bid on several items, but nothing I needed or wanted much. Then after speaking with them I decided it was too much of a hassle to deal with. The woman I spoke with on the phone really did not seem to care about gaining a new client. And looking at the fees/associated costs and what they require for anyone to bid.... all the usual info which is fine, but....they also require any bidders to also send them separately via email photo ID (Driver Lic. or Passport), and some sort of utility bill proving residence location. Some auction houses do ask for photo ID, but most do not. Lastly...who knows if they even know how to properly pack & ship...

ggjjr and 375+ like this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Agree. I looked at it and concluded that it is a massive PITA. No thanks.

9. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Do you know if Gooding is now charging California sales tax for out-of-state buyers? As of my last transaction with them this past October, they were not. RM has been for some time. If Gooding in now doing the same, that's just another reason to say "to hell with this all". At some point, it's just not worth the hassle, expense, and, most of all, the feeling of being used and abused at every level.

10. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Charged me 10.25% and I’m in the uk.

11. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Par for the course nowadays I find. H&H worst packers in my experience. On a general note I estimate costs to the uk at 40% of hammer price which means I miss out often!

12. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    Yep, that's the sales tax rate in Santa Monica... I'll definitely take that into account the next time that I'm a bidder (or not) with them.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Absurd.

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/lawguides/vol2/suta/115-0000-all.html

Auction Sales—Buyer's Premium. A seller consigns goods for sale at auction, after agreeing to pay the auctioneer a certain percentage of the sale price. The auctioneer also announces to the buying audience that a 10% buyer's premium will be added to the purchase (bid) price, which will be retained by the auctioneer. If a person is the successful buyer of an item for a bid of $100, the buyer will pay to the auctioneer $110. The gross receipts from the sale include the buyer's premium. Tax applies to the entire $110 paid by the buyer to the auctioneer. 3/16/88.

https://advservices.sfsu.edu/sites/default/files/presentations/August2020CaliforniaSalesTaxonAuctionItemsandSpecialEventsFINAL.pdf

15. lambdaman

lambdaman Rookie

Jul 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Egan
    Yes indeed I purchased lot 134 8 Jaguar books. After the known and taken into account bidder 25% fee plus the surprise 10% sales tax come the charges for pickup. Packaging and getting ready to despatch they don’t do, you need to engage a list of supplied contractors who will pick up on your behalf and mail to you, quotes came in over $200 US for on forwarding to a friend in Washington State or $450 to me in Australia.
    After a few days found a friend in Burbank to do pickup for free.

Lusso123 and Zeltweg like this.
  16. AndyM3

AndyM3 Rookie

Jul 8, 2021
    Zeltweg likes this.
  17. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Jota Edition hammer price 4500 gbp, with fees 6012 gbp

I think that's approximately what it sold for new

A slight improvement over purchase price for the seller, the buyer has paid approx 50% more than when new from Kidston

Jack-the-lad, Buchpilot and Zeltweg like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    This thread should be moved to the business section;-)

NürScud, Dino2010, Lusso123 and 4 others like this.
  19. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I am happy that I bought the Jota Edition for purposes of enjoyment only, not for business reasons :)

NürScud, Boomhauer, Dino2010 and 4 others like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I heard of a copy of the Miura book and Register that is available privately. Please PM me if interested.

Rosey and Zeltweg like this.
  21. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    I have a Jota Edition, the Register, and the Jota di Hahne book that I am regretfully looking to sell. All 3 are brand new, located in Virginia, USA. PM if interested. Thanks

Zeltweg likes this.
  22. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Jota Edition offered by Hortons for GBP15.000.-
    Good luck.

23. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    They need even more luck to sell their standard edition for GBP 5,500, what they have been trying for months now.

Rosey and bloomberg like this.
  24. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    More like a year and change...

But, Horton's isn't a bookseller in any sort of conventional sense unless one is very rich, very stupid, or, preferably, both. In reality, they are more of a cataloging service. Find what you want on their website (they have virtually everything available), then go and buy it for less elsewhere. In addition, they provide a sort of, undoubtedly welcome, pricing cover for almost every other bookseller, whereby they can all claim to be offering "great" prices as long as they offer some sort of discount off of Horton's delusional amounts.

Anyone who remembers Tom Warth from his T.E. Warth, Esq. days in the late 1980's and 1990s should know this schtick well, as Horton's hasn't invented this game, they've just copied it.

Rosey, ChoroQ, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  25. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Looking at Hortons site I see the Porter press Ferrari 250 gte offered at £275 and Porter offering same book at £400.

Zeltweg likes this.