Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 106 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    No, sorry to correct you, I brokered a EU-car last year and it had the plaque was on it...
    Could be possible, that this was uncommon, but I know also 2 other EU-spyder who had it.

MK1044 likes this.
  2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    What I’ve seen before is dash vin plaque not being remounted when dash material is replaced or even not being removed at all during the reupholstering and just being covered over.

Nembo1777 and wbaeumer like this.
  3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I've never seen a EU Ghibli with the dash VIN plate. Also, have not seen it on EU versions of the Indy and Bora. Even my Kyalami, originally sold in Italy in 1980, does not have a dash VIN plate. Of course, I could be wrong and some EU counties did require them (such as France using the USA style steering wheels).

Anyone has a EU Ghibli with a dash VIN plaque? Where was the car originally sold?

Ivan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Correct Ivan, I have never seen dashtop plaques on ANY classic Maseratis except US market cars.

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan,
    I speak about the Ghibli-Spyder only.
    Never saw a VIN plaque on any Khamsin, Indy, Bora or Kyalami under the front screen on the dash.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    US Khamsins all have the dash top plaque.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Good. But I do not come close to US-Khamsin....

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Wally nobody cares what you feel about US K's, I was referring to your wrong statement:

Never saw a VIN plaque on any Khamsin, Indy, Bora or Kyalami under the front screen on the dash.

9. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Sadly 115•472 didn’t meet reserve on BaT today. Top bid was a mere $127.5k which was never going to buy it.
    Beverley Hills car club are offering one for
    $80k odd, and that has no engine or transmission for heaven’s sake!

Shame. It looked an ok car really. Better in its lovely blue though.

Regards all

Mark

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Seems odd that only EU Ghibli spyders would have dash VIN plates and not the coupes. Can you provide a photo of the dash plate of one of those cars? I could then check the VIN with Fabio to better understand why that car had a dash VIN plate.

Ivan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    FYI Julian for your database and all:

I was in Modena and Maranello last week and this small dealer 200 meters from the Ferrari factory entrance had a Ghibli in their showroom. They were closed when I passed by at lunchtime.

https://www.maranellopurosangue.com/maranello-classic/maserati-ghibli-4-7-detail

By giallo Longchamps they meant Oro Longchamps of course. It seems very original. I am not involved and don't know those people.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    MK1044 likes this.
  14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Well this one also did not sell. I expected it to do
    This 1970 Ghibli SS also did not sell. I expected it would go to $225K and instead it died at $176K. That is pretty bad for what looked like a decent Euro Ghibli SS. Presentation was pretty good but there was no Maserati Classiche information, no receipts and no compression tests. You would think an experienced dealer would know to provide these basic things.

Yet another Ghibli SS has appeared on BaT, just as I predicted. It looks very nice but lacks the factory documentation and compression test. There are photos showing the car in bare metal, which will definitely help. Hope it does better.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-maserati-ghibli-ss-2/

Ivan

MK1044 likes this.
  15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Unless the car is a very rare model or it goes through their inspection program I'm unclear as what the big deal not having that is? Has that begun in the USA?

Compression test ... I suppose it makes the bidder feel a bit better but those can be faked. One time I had a dealer restoration admit that the numbers he send me were BS when I asked.
    You all know the shop too.

A good leak down test yields far more and better information. If there's strong evidence of proper service and a recent engine rebuild from a well known & reputable shop then I suppose it's a decent gamble. Otherwise auctions are crap shoot IMHO. No time really to arrange for a full PPI.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    fairly late production car, having the Classiche Build sheet would be a good idea as a lot of the late cars were automatics, was it converted? Are the colors original build.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That does look like a very nice example. Their road trip is one I must have done over a hundred times while I lived there. At one point in time there were three of us Boras owners who would meet at my friend's house in Orinda and then take rides locally in those hills. California had some amazing places to drive just minutes from my garage in SF.

The car sounded great. Great microphone placement so that you just hear the lovely exhaust and engine and not all the other noises in a car that old.

Perhaps given the financial market no one wants to invest that much money into a terrific driver because resale later will be more difficult?

18. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  19. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    The lucky purchaser now has a pair of extremely nice Ghiblis. Can’t fault their taste!
    This is the highest price I can recall for a Ghibli Coupe. I don’t think even Bart vd W’s lovely car fetched that amount.

Best to all.
    Mark.

Candide and MK1044 like this.
  20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    MK1044 likes this.
  21. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    In France, we use to say "jamais 2 sans 3 ! " (never 2 without 3).

22. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle
  23. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I’m fascinated to see what everyone else thinks of chassis 132 as mentioned above, as it has just been through the new Maserati classiche. I saw the photos of this car when it was for sale as a project at Healy werks. That was a passion project completely out of control as far as I could see. I know that there was a huge amount of work that went into the car, but $1m is an awful lot of money…In retrospect I think another car would have presented a better starting point from a financial point of view. I suppose if you really wanted a car in Bianco Polo Park then the field would be a bit limited, but I dislike White on Ghiblis so I suppose I have a bias!

Strangely, there are still things about the car which I don’t think are correct. Most obviously, there appears to be a big retro fitted Revotec puller fan on the engine side of the radiator, the hood pad also doesn’t look like any of those I have seen on any other Ghibli, and is certainly not like the early cars in the REVS archive pictures. The ventilation knobs in the cabin are wrong, there appears to be missing divider in the battery compartment. I’m not sure that such an early car originally had a Ghibli badge on the bootlid either (again, the REVS pictures indicate not) .

There are other odds and ends too, including wrong elements to the toolkit and wrong section tyres. As far as far as I can see, this is nowhere near the standard of the beautiful and meticulously done, but obviously ‘non-approved’ Marrone Colorado car which went through BaT recently. I wonder if the price will be close. If it is, then I suggest that the factory ‘rubber stamp’ will be the decisive factor.

P.Cappelle likes this.
  24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ditto except perhaps for a Ghibli spyder with a striking colored interior but not black.

25. P.Cappelle

P.Cappelle Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Pedro Cappelle

The Certification of Authenticity by Maserati Classiche is not about finding the best Ghibli. The inspection results in an overall percentage after everything is checked, scored and weighed. This percentage is not announced or published, but if a car achieves more than 75%, it is authentic and awarded the Certification of Authenticity. So cars that achieve 75% or 99,9% scores are considered authentic. They cleverly stay away from the words: original or originality.

These elements are inspected:
    Chassis
    Engine
    Transmission
    Suspension – Brakes – Wheels – Tyres
    Bodywork – Interior – Exterior
    Interior and exterior colour and material combinations
    Electrical system – Accessories
    There are +300 criteria on the inspection list, and each has its own weight/importance. Some of the items on the undisclosed list carry a veto right, which means that if that item is missing or incorrect, the Certification stops immediately.

For example, the department paused the certification procedure for a Vignale Spyder with a black correct-looking steering wheel because it was smaller than the original diameter. When the owner supplied the proper steering wheel, the process resumed. We can logically deduce that this weighed much more towards the overall result than a wrong toolbag.