The BORA | Page 50 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Disappointing indeed, the car sold for $3,000 more in 2020. Maybe condition and originality does trump aesthetics and performance after all. That said the sale price may reflect the color change or that you can’t remake a US Bora into a European Bora. The surprisingly rough-looking chassis (see engine crossmember: a potential iceberg scenario?) may have raised concerns with some potential bidders. Finally, I don’t think anyone addressed the question: “…is it wise to bore out the steel cylinder liners of an aluminum block V8?” which could have been a potential wet blanket on auction participation.

wbaeumer likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Says the big sorry the grosser self promoter:D.
    Both sales took place at the same time.

staatsof likes this.
  3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I look at it closely it's clearly not as good an example as the last couple we saw. That doesn't mean it's a bad car just not quite as spectacular.

wbaeumer likes this.
  4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Here's the PO's post who sold the car in 2021 https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148023683/

There's nothing exceptional about this Bora. If someone is looking for a time capsule like one of the more recent Boras mentioned here that still had the plastic covers on its door panels then this is not that sort of a car. https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az22/arizona/lots/r0070-1978-maserati-bora-49/1199138

Bora #1044 sold twice on Bat over the last two years the most recent sale being the the most spectacular. That car has been well attended to and has a very nice set of colors hence the spectacular, for a Bora, price.

As I look through that service log it's not a restoration (remanufacturing) log like we saw with what has to be the most spectacularly done Bora on here, the green one. From Australia I think.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you speak about the engine crossmember? Maybe I missed that. Could you post a photo or link. The bumper conversion for the 75-77 YM cars is not a simple bolt on affair. Engine compartment construction as well as subframe construction was not originally done to a high level of finish. Rather disappointing actually.

I'm not sure that having the original bumpers would have helped this car as it was neither an original time capsule nor a fastidiously maintained original? It was a nice driver if not especially sharp.

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    An observation that may mean nothing, both Bora #1044 (Oro Longchamp) and Ghibli #1584 (Marrone Colorado) are period earth-tone colors that are gaining an appreciation. Both cars are very good examples that hammered at much higher numbers than most expected.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK you're looking at the upper chassis crossmember. A pretty important piece!

That's just crummy "restoration" prep before painting. I've never heard of a bora that had and structural failures such as that. They are built like beasts. But it wasn't nicely prepped. My engine compartment looked like crap @ 3000 miles and it was original.

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The blue Bora is not going to win any originality awards but it did not look like a bad car. The neon blue interior is not my cup of tea but I realize colors are a personal choice. Since the car is not original, the Euro conversion is a welcomed sign and the blue exterior color looks classy on the car. The new owner got himself a car that probably does not need much and will get a lot of attention.
    Agree with staatsof that the engine cross menber paint is not a concern; late cars were poorly detailed.

Ivan

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Bora owners - can one of you kindly share the conservative dimensions (L x W x H) of your front trunk space and post it here?

Our #932 was delivered intact yesterday to the auto terminal at the Port of Drammen, Norway and it is time to plan out in detail what luggage, tools and spare parts I will have room to stuff in it..

Thank you,
    - Art

MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Needs to be a Bora with a hood vent I think?
    Take soft luggage anyway including some for all the sides behind those two bulkhead doors in the rear under the hatch.
    Thin garment bags over the rear cover takes the wrinkles out of the clothes ... ;)

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Sure, can anyone offer the dimensions of a vented-hood Bora?

The luggage will contain 45lbs of tools, spares, fluids, documents for the 7 week drive in Scandinavia - I'm evaluating what is suited to soft-shell vs hard-shell luggage.

Grazie,
    - Art

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    staatsof likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Art don't forget to take photos at the port when you pick up the car....have fun on the fabulous roads of Sweden and Norway:)!

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Bora or Khamsin ?

14. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi all. Just seen Bora 362 has sold for 73000 euro in France today. The photos looked ok, and it was originally a Euro car and blu Ischia. Did anyone see it up close? Seems a bargain.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best.
    Mark.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Mark,

Where did you see that it sold? Neither Aguttes nor Drouot seem to have posted results yet. Typically such smaller auction houses take a while.
    I have not seen this car but I would expect it needs total recommissioning.

16. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    They had an online stream Marc. Slightly to my surprise! If the link is still open, they had posted the results of each lot under the catalogue details. I suppose it had 14.4% buyer’s premium on top, but on the face of it one could have the makings of a nice car for really not so much…

M

17. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Aha so they have made some forward strides, good for them. I can't access it via the link as it requires sign up etc etc.

Yes perhaps someone got a bargain, good luck to the buyer.

red27 likes this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yesterday I paid a visit to the first of the two Bora Group 4's: AM117-3000, which I drove 13 years ago for my book and article; always special to see it:)

The second photo is from that June 2009 day at circuit Paul Ricard and the third is at Thepenier in the very early eighties when I went there at 16 or 17 on my moped to see the cars. Of course if someone had told me then I would drive it decades later I would not have believed them:)!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Fabulous. By far my favorite Bora. I have wondered what Maserati or Thepenier did to the internals of this motor. Regardless, Maserati should have taken a lesson from Lancia on how to homologate a car they had not actually made 500 of haha.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You should probably read Mark's Maserati Book.

22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    yes an envelope dropped on the floor works better tends to work better than dinner with a lot of alcohol, unless there’s a puttanesca and a hidden camera involved.

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Citroen and Maserati management did not want to lie about production numbers, unlike some scoundrels in Maranello.