the Biturbo Market | Page 4 | FerrariChat

the Biturbo Market

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 67bmer, Oct 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Anyone for my 228? $25k. I'll throw in a 89 Zagato parts car.:)

F456M likes this.
  2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Is it? Based on what? While not 100% original (I suspect it could be repainted from several photos) but in otherwise excellent condition, I think it represents the era extremely well!

If one were to perform a rigorous study based on comparisons similar to stocks or real estate valuation using metrics of performance, quality, and quantity, I would conclude, that at a minimum, it is fairly valued for the first time this century... I am not saying these other cars are not "over their skis" either! I am just comparing using similar metrics.

I'll never forget, that I drove a used 911 in the morning and a used 87 Biturbo si (in poor condition but ran well) in the afternoon of the same day (probably spring 1996) and decided that I would find a Maserati. In '97 I finally bought an '89 Spyder and have never regretted my decision.

Porsche 944 sales
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Ferrari Mondial sales:

Ferrari 328 sales:
    Porsche 911 sales:

71Satisfaction likes this.
  3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Reality. Some late stupids have arrived on the scene. Plenty of those are great examples as well. Very bad times are just around the corner.

67bmer likes this.
  4. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Fed Chair Powell: Executing a soft landing may be beyond our control.

In other words, it's not a question of IF it will be a hard landing, the question is HOW hard of a landing will it be?

5. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    And with the 5% buyer's fee, it actually breaks the $50k mark. This came far sooner than I had expected. Glad to see the appreciation. Took a friend out last night and he thoroughly enjoyed it. They really are special cars.

6. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
  7. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    F456M likes this.
  8. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Here is another 1990 (automatic) red/grey/black spyder:

32,900 Miles, Twin-Turbo 2.8-Liter V6, Mostly Unmodified
    The attached Carfax report shows that this Spyder was issued an Illinois salvage title in July 1994, an Indiana salvage title in December 1994, and a Michigan salvage title in December 1996. It currently holds a clean Virginia title.

Yesterday it was at $2k, today it is at $6k! Strange place to list one. Looks like some areas have been repainted. I think where you list is as important as what you list.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3goeOx4y/1990-maserati-biturbo-spyder

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Then I hope to sell my '90 at a price that can cover what it costed me (a lot): it has been replaced by a Porsche in my garage, so I need room. I will place a sale ad in the for sale section asap.

Ciao

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Go with the flow ... put it up on BAT if they'll allow it? That's where all the stupid money is spending right now.

11. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    sold at $14,500. ouch!
    Was it the:
    #1 listing site/location?
    #2 the automatic?
    #3 the market?
    #4 all the above?

In my opinion, #4.

MrMark likes this.
  12. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
  13. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    67bmer and Albert-LP like this.
  14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  15. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    It did make it over to BaT. However, it goes to show that you have to do more than just list it! Lessons learned - at a minimum you need
    1. high-quality photos
    2. a video of it starting/running/driving
    3. you must engage the bidders and answer their questions (no matter how stupid they get)
    4. and address errors in comments
    Otherwise, you end up like this:
    Bid to $16,250 on 8/4/22
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-maserati-biturbo-si-coup/

The aero kit appears to be originally installed by the dealer, although I have not seen one like that, and the wheels did not help. I would have thought with some engagement that would have seen $30k - $40k based on previous auctions. Definitely, one of the nicest Biturbos I have seen.

16. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    A nice Biturbo from looking at the pics. That's a MIE aero kit sold back in the day; it's missing the rocker pieces though. I hate to say my 87 is much nicer with the full body kit, Carello driving lights, and very rare Simmons 3-piece wheels with Nito racing rubber installed. All that being said it's good to see the prices going north for very nice examples.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you read the comments it's clear that the seller was the problem with this listing. It looks nice but ... given the age and lack of mileage you have to wonder terribly what sort of shape the head gaskets and all of the seals are in. That's an engine out service with a teardown of the camboxes and heads and probably a new water pump.

Now ... try and find someone who can do all of that properly. I know how to do that and I think the price is probably about right considering the major service and reassembly that' going to be required.

Bidders aren't as dumb as some people may think.

He was probably trying catch a fool.

18. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I don't mean to nit pick your comment, Bob, but that went from "wonder[ing] terribly what sort of shape the head gaskets and all of the seals are in" very quickly to requiring a major engine out service. Sure there is risk (there always is), but that could be addressed by a good PPI. I did not follow that auction closely, but I get the impression that that would have been difficult to arrange. The problem again was not the car, per se, but rather it was the disengaged seller.

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's a lot easier to replace the head gaskets with the engine out trying to do that with the engine in the car. You also ensure a much better job of assembly. Concern over the head gaskets is because it's been used so little and the seller gave almost no information about that. I bought my Bora in somewhat similar condition, actually @ 10 years old with 3K miles and I ended up doing the head gaskets after 6 months.

20. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Those wheels are going to be the buy of a lifetime!

I have looked at the photos as much as possible and I think if someone spent time detailing this car and put a decent set of wheels on it, it could be one of the nicest biturbos in the country! It was only bid to $13k on cars and bids or whatever. From the pictures, it looks like its as nice as the ones that sold $30k and more last year.

FWIW - it is 14 digits 1867 vs 1853 and 2 months 11/88 vs 9/88 newer than mine!

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    A low mileage Biturbo could also mean the car has sat a long time with "issues"
    One of the comments was: "I’ve seen this on a flat-bed around town more than under it’s own power."

Ivan

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Seats look like they have fitment issues.

23. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I didn't take that literally, but rather as a cheap shot. But who knows, maybe they have.

24. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    We all know..or at least those lucky enough to have owned 2.8L injected 89 Spyder, that is well sorted, how much fun and great driving cars these Maserati can be! They will surprise you…

Mexico074 and TBigs like this.