308 rims opinion | FerrariChat

308 rims opinion

Discussion in '308/328' started by JTT, May 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    Hi. I am thinking of redoing my original 14 inch rims. The guy at the rim place suggested powder coating over base and clear. I am interested in your opinions. My thoughts were paint was closer to the original then powder coating.
    Joe

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I just had mine powder coated because I wanted durability. If originality matters, definitely paint them.

3. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    Thanks. I thought of the originality for paint but all of my friends tell me to powder coat.

kcsun likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Any issues with the wheels being magnesium?

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    FChat member Billboboy recently had his 16 inch Cromadora wheels redone with powder coating. They turned out great. They look completely original.

I thought that the 246 wheels were high magnesium but our 308 wheels (at least the 16 inchers) are magnesium-aluminum alloy that didn't have all the liabilities of true magnesium wheels. and could be painted or powder coated the regular ways. I don't know; I am just asking.

6. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Depending on what the final objective to what the restoration is for either concours or weekend driver, you could go either way. I’ve restored several sets of wheels over the years different ways using both paint and powder coat. The powder coat will “lock” in any issues you may have with corrosion within the the rim while paint will give you the best finish.

The issue with powder coat that I’ve found is the powder doesn’t allow the metallics to flop like paint does. It’s a nice/ close match but doesn’t have the same affect when sunlight hits it at an angle.

I’ve even had rims powder coated in a primer base to seal in the metal, then light water sand and spray with a single stage paint that was matched to original. Only draw back to this method is you start to lose the crisp edges due to the material buildup. Good for a driver, not so good for competition.

Best option for accuracy is to the strip or glass bead them, fill any imperfections or nicks, spray a light catalyzed sealer primer and paint to match with single stage paint. Less material build up this way. This is the best method for competition.

Here’s a set I restored during COVID stay at home orders. This set was strictly powder coated. New barrels and bolts of course. Lost some of the crispness to the edge’s but still a super nice finish inside and out with 2-3 day turn around time. Image Unavailable, Please Login

eurocarguy101 and dinoart like this.
  7. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I have the original 328 Speedline wheels, which are aluminum alloy, so no problems with powder coating.

8. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Whichever method you choose, make sure the wheels are stripped chemically rather than with sanding or blasting. As mentioned, those crisp edges in script or basic casting can't be replaced once flattened out by mechanical paint removal methods.

9. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    Thank you For your opinions.