355 - Steering Rack Question | FerrariChat

355 Steering Rack Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by sgtpeper, May 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    While having my 355 gts aligned properly, my speed shop uncovered that there is an issue with the pinion - I believe that's what he said. Is this serviceable or do I need a new rack? Basically under load, there is some play which kept him from getting the car set up just right.

2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    This would be a first for me to hear that a steering rack had so much play, that it prevented a proper alignment but I suppose it is possible. If so, then yes the rack has to come out and be rebuilt. I have heard this job is a miserable one.

3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I had play in the LF wheel that appeared to originate in the rack but on further inspection was just a loose ball joint. How did the mechanic diagnose? In all my years I can't remember ever hearing of a steering rack pinion gear being worn.

4. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My main mechanic said it could be the bearing or maybe a bushing somewhere. He's going to take a look when he's doing some of my climate control work sometime later this year. He said the rack isn't wildly expensive but it's like 10 hours of labor. Yay!

My speed shop did the alignment. He is chasing a slight clunk in the front end.

5. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    On a 348 the clunk is almost always the outer rack bush on the passenger side. You can see it by willing the front tire when it's up.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    IF that is the play, the steering rack is truly bad and needs replacement. It's possible to have the main bushing and bearing to be bad but you would have to remove the rack, disassemble it to find what the cause it, By then, it's probably just the same as replacing the rack.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 348 is a manual rack, the 355 is a power rack and very different. And the video on #5 posting shows clearly the main pinion to be loose. Either the bearing at the bottom, or the bushing at the top. But, a rack replacement is in order.

9. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    @yelcab - You definitely think I need to replace my rack based on that?

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, I do. There should be zero play at the pinion. No side to side, no up and down. It can probably be rebuilt but ... a replacement gets you back on the road faster.

11. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    @yelcab do you think mine is at a dangerous level? It seems to drive fine at the moment. I also have a high pressure line seeping a little that I need to be replaced.