2022 Monaco GP: Post Race Analysis | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2022 Monaco GP: Post Race Analysis

Discussion in 'F1' started by SS454, May 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Didn’t Norris play into this as well? I recall thinking that Perez was going to come out behind him, only to be gutted when they pitted the McLaren on that same lap, leaving Perez with clear track.

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  3. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Thank you @Bas and @Nurburgringer

I originally thought that once Perez pitted, that they should have forced Sainz in to cover that, but it seems that was never going to work since the undercut was worth about 7 seconds. Sainz was never going to come out ahead of Perez, so his only choice was to stay out and go to straight to hard tires.

Ferrari could have pitted Leclerc 1 lap earlier (L17) for inters or gambled and went straight to hards on lap 18-20. Leclerc would have been very slow, but Perez would have had to pit again. But then Red Bull would have had options with Verstappen. But being on the wrong tire and doing 2 pitstops in 4 laps was devastating to Leclerc.

stavura, jcurry, JJ and 3 others like this.
  4. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    the luxury of being in 1st place with you teammate behind you is that you don't need to gamble. Just build a comfortable cushion and whatever RB does, you follow.
    IMMEDIATELY ;)

5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Norris was ~24 seconds behind LeC when he came in the pits, with Perez hot on his tail so yeah maybe they had an eye on him as well.
    If Norris had stayed out for one more lap it very well could have held up Perez enough to let LeC stay ahead.

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The reluctance in telling sainz he is a nº2 is costing Ferrari. What more do they want? do they need a report to understand the diference between their two drivers? Because right now, Checo is much more of a treath to Max than Carlos is to Charles, and Marko & Horner won't hesitate to use Checo to gain Max some points. Also Ferrari must regain political importance, they were robbed in 2013 in order to favor Red Bull, and Yesterday they were again. NOt penalizing the bulls for stwping on the line and not having the tyres 5 minuts before the start was a scandal. One thing doesn't cover the mess Ferrari made, but rules are rules..or they should be.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have supported Ferrari since the very Early 70's and will continue to do so, however, they are burning Leclerc ... if they continue to ruin his chances with Truly astoundingly stupid calls from the pits... they will ruin him like they did lots of other drivers in the past. Leclerc did everything he needed to do, except run the race. Were I him from now on I'd be doing the strategy as well, clearly the Pit wall can't or will not.

pilotoCS and william like this.
  8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Yep.
    Having been a Ferrari fan for countless drops of baton, it’s difficult to conceal the wealth of innate Fezza certainties I take as gospel before every race.

One of them being;

When we qualify on the front row at a track where it is impossible to pass and both cars are performing extremely well without any issues, we’ll need to scavenge every ounce of millisecond to barely maintain a position on the podium.

One of the fundamentals. ;)

9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    :cool::p:D

10. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Seems the Silver Arrows might start taking points at the front too, so I wouldn't count them out.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I wonder if there have been considerations in Monaco to change the track a bit, like a longer straight coming out from the tunnel, another drs under tunnel etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    One of them, anyway.

stavura, 375+ and furoni like this.
  13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They will not do any change that increases the top speed; they are afraid of speed.

Also, no proposal changes the fact that the Monaco GP is supposed to fit in a 19th century urban design.

Monaco isn't going to widen the track by removing historical buildings to satisfy a once-a-year event. .

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Then it’s doomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william likes this.
  15. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    What else is new? Another year, another bunch of Monaco parade laps.

Great venue to be at to do anything but follow the race imo. Go to all the pre+post race events, watch the race start+finish, keep the bubbly flowing and forget the rest!

william likes this.
  18. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    It's funny how F1 will force tracks to spend millions to upgrade their facilities to meet modern F1 standards, yet Monaco has been outdated for decades.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That has been my argument for decades. Technically the circuit is totally unfit to host a F1 race, by the FIA standards.

Until a few years ago, one could buy a FIA booklet mentioning all the requirements to design and build a circuit, and the particular needs to have a F1 race. The kind of reference Tilke and others would consult when they embark on a new design. That book was updated regularly.

I haven't seen it available for a few years now.

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Maybe it might be interesting to watch if they can convert Monaco into a series of sprint races rather than a follow-the-leader parade? For all the years I can remember, qualy seems to always have been the most exciting/entertaining.

21. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I thought that with Bernie in charge, Monaco didn’t even pay a fee to host a race. Not sure if that is still true.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Convert the Neuville chicane back to what it was in 1965 and you have a straight from Portie to Tabac.

Giallo 550 and Isobel like this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The cars would be hitting 200+

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I agree......but the FIA puts chicanes for a reason. Whether it's in Monaco, Circuit de la Sarthe, or Paul Ricard.....it's for safety reasons.:rolleyes:

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, they are scared of speed.

Giallo 550 likes this.