95 Berlinetta weight reduction and modifications. | Page 9 | FerrariChat

95 Berlinetta weight reduction and modifications.

Discussion in '348/355' started by INTMD8, Mar 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Pete is your top speed pro exhaust the titanium version?

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yeah I dont run the hanger in my lightweight exhaust systems. They float well

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No, when I got it that wasn't an option.

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Asked only because they advertise the titanium system at 7.15lbs so I was surprised to see your steel system coming in at 8lbs.

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Finished the y-pipe and test fit everything.

Not sure that part was worth the trouble.

The stainless y-pipe I made with the spacer is 6lbs.

The titanium y-pipe is 2.4lbs.

Not using the exhaust hangers anymore, they come in at 3lbs.

So total weight loss of exhaust/y-pipe/hanger removal is 27.5lbs?

LOL. Next, -may- be rear subframe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

radback, jimmym and ShineKen like this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That’s so nice! Great weight savings off the most important area.

INTMD8 and OCKlasse like this.
  7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Getting close Jim.:)

INTMD8 likes this.
  8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I -really- thought my guides would be tight and valves sealing awesome based on my cars performance.

It ran awesome. Great numbers on the dyno and at the track. Didn't smoke or use oil.

That being said, I was really surprised at how bad the heads/guides are upon disassembly. Measurements? Have none. I didn't take any. Just observed that it was horrible and decided I need to fix it.

Also. I have not CC'd port volumes but have taken a bunch of measurements. From the start of the intake port to the guides, my early 2.7 heads are very similar in size to the later 5.2 head I bought.

After removing valves in my 2.7 heads, I've found the early heads seem to have a ton of material removed in the bowl area compared to the later 5.2 heads.

Also notable, (to me at least) is, while my early heads are much bigger in the bowl area of the heads, the quality of the work is unimpressive. Lumpy transitions and just looks rushed.

In comparison, the later 5.2 head I bought looks beautiful. Looking at the port work I thought, it would be hard to improve upon it. Just super nice.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mark HT likes this.
  9. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    Yeah, no need to waste your time measuring those guides! o_O

Would be awesome if you could post some pics showing the differences between the 5.2 and 2.7 heads. :)

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't think I will be able to capture the difference with photos. (I can try, don't think anyone could see the difference). Even looking at it in person it's hard to tell. Becomes more clear when you feel both of them.

Best I can describe it is, on the long side of the intake port, the 5.2 head has a perfect, long radius to the seat.

On my 2.7 head, that same long side overshoots meeting up with the seat. So below the seat/long side/top of port almost forms a bit of a bubble below the seat before meeting it. (overshoots then turns back to the seat)

5.2 head, appears ported by a master. Just super nice the entire port, on every cylinder.

One of my 2.7 heads looks to be ported very nice, but not quite as nice as the 5.2 head I have.

The other 2.7 head I have looks to be ported by someone else entirely with very little skill/attention to detail.

No worries, I will fix it myself. Just a bit surprised to see the variance between the 2 heads.

Mark HT likes this.
  11. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That video is wild. I don't understand how the valve heads weren't beating the crap out of the seats and causing sealing problems. I had a 911 engine with a couple guides that worn and the seats were in bad shape.

Are you sending the heads out or doing yourself?

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I believe they didn't seal well, all things considered.

Cold compression test was 150-170psi. Looking at the valves/ports there was evidence of poor sealing in the way of carbon/black traces up the valves.

As excellent as -some- of the port work is, the valve job on both the new and older head appears to me to be a single angle valve job. One angle seat cut and very wide margin.

I think that's why my car didn't exhibit any symptoms. Guides sloppy as hell....still... easy to seat the valve with no precision to the massive seat.

^ To your question, I would prefer to send them out. Problem is, I don't really trust anyone.

So from here I will order sample guides from multiple manufacturers to determine which I prefer.

I'll remove all guides from my heads then port them to match as best as I can.

Install best guides, then have the seats/valve job machined best as possible.

Not sure how much improvement will be found. Still surprised it made 340rwhp and (with weight reduction) ran 12.4 @ 116.8 with the above issues.

My best guess is the F355 valves could still do a decent job of sealing due to their small size. (and really less amplified by center valve 10deg retarded)

In comparison, same generation 2-valve (and basically hemi combustion chamber) Porsche, could suffer much more with same or less guide wear, I would think.

MAD828 and Targatime like this.
  13. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You're only .2 and 3mph off of a 360 challenge stradale in the 1/4 - with properly sealing valves I wouldn't be surprised to see you at the same power/weight. Impressive!

INTMD8 likes this.
  14. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Very interesting thread. (from the only guy who did provide me usefull info in another thead while all others were bashing me for daring asking what would be the proper launch for this car ;) )
    Congrats INTMD8! Very nice work (and attitude :)).

INTMD8 likes this.
  15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    tres55, Mark HT, jimmym and 3 others like this.
  16. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Sexy looking ports. Any room for improvement? Sure look nice right out of the box.

INTMD8 likes this.
  17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The biggest problem with 5-valve heads; is cooling, airflow is about as good as it gets.

A few hours with a rotary file might get 1%-3% (but if you take material from where it should not be taken, you can just as easily lose that 3%.)

On the exhaust side: a ramp from the port to the header adds considerable flow to the port without enlarging the interior volume. That is, come off the port at the 15º angle starting at 38mm and progressing to 42mm over 10mm. The 38mm end will need to be shaped to the port. Then the exhaust pipes should remain 42mm to the collector(s).

INTMD8 likes this.
  18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    As for the port work I'm going to blend/smooth some of the lumpy work that was done but I don't intend to enlarge them any more than needed or re-shape significantly. The design looks very nice to me.

On the exhaust side I had header flanges made that match the exhaust port angle.

19. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Love this. Great work what your doing.

INTMD8 likes this.
  20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL

The stock exhaust port is, as mentioned, an upward angle relative to the flange.

The original headers do not match that angle so while the size matches fairly nice (header maybe slightly smaller than port) the angle does not, as you can see-

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The new flanges are- slightly larger.

Original primary tube OD I measured at 1.573 or 40mm

New primary tubes will be 1.625 or 41.27mm

Slightly larger but really only because 1.625 mandrel bends are as close I can find in the US without going smaller than original.

Focus is on, flange design being an extension of the port, rather than disrupting it, larger radius bends and slightly altering tube lengths.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tres55, ShineKen, audi_328 and 5 others like this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, yes, yes, exactly !!

Figure 2 in both posts shows the dramatic difference well.

taz355 and INTMD8 like this.
  23. FloridaIsland348

Aug 5, 2022
    Pensacola Beach
    Full Name:
    Scott Wheatley

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL