Cut a blank 458 key? | FerrariChat

Cut a blank 458 key?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fatauto, Jun 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    I have a blank key for my 458 that I'd like to use as a spare to get into the car should I get locked out (no remote in it) The two places I tried said the width of the slot in the key is not standard and they could not duplicate the pattern. Anyone have any luck trying to cut a blank?
    [​IMG]

2. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I was told it won’t work…

3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I didn't have one in my possession but saw some for sale and asked my Dealer about it when I got my 458 - Same as you - not for actually starting the car or using the remote (the car came with all the proper keys) - but just as an emergency to gain physical access - Was told that the "blanks" for sale would still need to go to the factory to be laser cut and if not factory spec they would not touch them - I did not try a normal locksmith or anything but would imagine the process to laser cut a Ferrari key is a bit more intricate than a house key - That said, I did not try it so take this with a grain of salt - Cheers :)

4. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    After looking up how the duplication machines actually work there is no reason it can't be cut with a smaller bit then the actual slot width. If you had the correct size you could run the mill down in one pass but I don't see why the same can't be achieved by running a smaller endmill down both sides of the slot. Basically cut each side of the ID independently. I think the guy at ACE saw the Ferrari logo and didn't want to get involved. I'll try another place and if not I'm buying one of these cheap key machines for 200 and doing it myself. Will be wayyyy cheaper then if I lock the key in the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    Update. It can absolutely be done but the first attempt was a fail. Normal slots, like on an Audi, are 3mm wide. That's the standard size bit that comes with the cheap key machines. The Ferrari has a slot 2.5mm wide. The key can be cut on any normal machine but you must use a smaller endmill and tracer. The place I just brought it to was able to cut it but after the first go we decided it should be a little deeper. The tech misaligned the master on the 2nd round and completely killed the pattern. So just ordered a new $20 blank from eBay and will give it another shot next week.

6. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    And its DONE! For those in the NY / CT area I used:
    A Preferred Locksmith
    Located on Mamaroneck Ave in White Plains. They have a SICK laser cut key machine. Their copy mill scans the entire key first, then CNC cuts the blank. No messing about, key fit beautifully the first time! Highly recommend! Peace of mind knowing I don't have to break a window if my door locks on me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

430jm and AD211 like this.
  7. jk356

jk356 Rookie

Jul 10, 2017
    midwest
    Full Name:
    jeff k
    does it work to start car?

8. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    No, Its only a mechanical copy to unlock the door. It will turn on the ignition and crank but no start. I was only given one key to the car and no PIN code so I can't copy the immobilizer. I wanted to have a mechanical copy so should the keys get locked in the car I can unlock it. In theory I could pull the little pill ID chip out of the fob and tape it to the steering column. Then any cut key that fits would start it. Sounds a bit reckless especially after posting a picture of the key pattern online. haha

9. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Where did you buy the blank?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. fatauto

fatauto Rookie

May 1, 2018
    CT
    Full Name:
    Adam R. Roina
    eBay $15~$20 Just search Ferrari 458 key.