488 - 488 Possible failed turbo (2nd time) 2500 miles | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 488 Possible failed turbo (2nd time) 2500 miles

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TXJay, Apr 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    That would be insane to me that something like a turbo would not be covered by a CPO on a purchase...

AlexxNac likes this.
  2. TXJay

TXJay Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2022
    Austin, TX
    An Update to All:

I appreciate all of your input, advice, support & more so feedback regarding the one in a million probable situation I landed in on this 488.

With that said, Steve Fordham (@SAFE4NOW), reached out to me personally and rectified any and all matters present at hand. The FNA dealer is picking up responsibility of the turbo job (labor & materials) @ a whopping $18K. The icing on top that I learned in our conversion here is that both turbo replacement jobs come with a 2 year/Unlimited Mile part/labor warranty from the date the job completed I believe, something that is customary & standard for all work performed at any FNA dealer. That is as much as any reasonable human being could expect in terms of having reassurance that I’m not held on the hook for any further mishaps. Now it is my expectation and wishes that I’ve paid my dues with mishaps on this car and I pray no further issues arise in the future. It is also my hopes and wishes that Ferrari has improved the new turbos used as replacements and not installing the same fluked turbo units which have been known to fail at some point in time, though prematurely.

Steve also mentioned that during the first turbo replacement job as well as during the CPO process the turbos were inspected via scope for any concerning issues which none were to be found. I was assured the motor was thoroughly inspected and no metal was found to have entered this area. It is to my knowledge the turbo came apart on the exit/exhaust end and am curious if it flew out of the exhaust or stayed in the housing. Needless to say, I feel much better about the car now and I feel much better about both FNA & Boardwalk Ferrari. Still think FNA is shady for excluding turbos from warranty and it is true to be said that the turbos were also excluded from the factory warranty as the first turbo replacement job occurred within the factory warranty period and was not a job covered by warranty if I understood him correctly.

As @MANDALAY stated and is correct, as of April 1, 2022, Ferrari has now included the turbos into this factory warranty & its new power warranty for all turbo applicable vehicles. Again, this is what I understood to be told, hope I’m not twisting any words by mistake.

Steve is aware that this thread was made, and he too has stated he will provide input on the matter for all to learn from off my mishap.

Ready to get back behind the wheel of this thing and get some seat time in! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    good result

MANDALAY likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can't put it down as a common issue. And besides, so many other good reasons to choose a 488 over a 458.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AlexxNac and TXJay like this.
  5. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The 3 year factory bumper to bumper warranty on the 488 covered the turbos
    The power warranty did not for the 488, but will for the F8 if and when that model cycles through the factory warranty
    That is my understanding
    To say that the factory warranty did not cover the 488 turbos is not correct
    The history on your car is opaque. I would have passed.

AlexxNac likes this.
  6. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I was joking :)

The is nothing wrong with the 488 turbos, a few posts to this board notwithstanding

AlexxNac and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    @SAFE4NOW is a great asset to this forum. Steve has helped me understand a few things in the past with my car.

However this issue you had scares the devil out of me. Ferrari not backing the Turbo's and arguing with you is not cool and not a positive reflection of the brand while a car is under warranty. My 2019 is now out of factory warranty...it went into service October 2018. When I bought the car used December of 2019 the dealer included an extra 2yr warranty but like you after a few requests I never received any official paperwork on what is actually covered!!!! INSANE!!!!

Luckily my 2019 488GTB has been a really great car. It has 6928 miles on it, trouble free.

NinjaNuggett, AlexxNac and TXJay like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the thing here, and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, is to look for the cause. I fear that the turbos are merely a symptom of something else. Two turbos like that is very strange. Would be great to know how each turbo failed. I wonder if there might be a lubrication issue. Just thinking out loud.

I would not worry though, the new parts are under factorywarranty, and the oil system is also covered. IF something should happen again, it will happen shortly, not long from now and warranty is in effect. If nothing happens within the first 3000-4000 miles, everything should be fine.

Go drive the car, that's the best thing one can do.

iMrMark, AlexxNac, TXJay and 3 others like this.
  9. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    2018 Ferrari 488 Spyder. Loss of turbo power. 12k miles 2nd owner….. this sucks

10. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    I will take any suggestions. Is it too late to purchase some sort of warranty?

11. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    So your car is broke and you want to try and purchase a warranty to retroactively cover it? They would require an inspection before you could purchase the warranty so that would not work. (It’s kind of like not having auto insurance, getting into an accident and trying to purchase insurance to cover the damage). Unfortunately of the car is out of warranty you are stuck with the repair bills. Sorry!

mdrums and Napoli like this.
  12. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    #62 AlexxNac, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    lol no the car is already undergoing inspection at the dealer. I brought it there the second the engine light came on. Wanted to see if purchasing warranty could possibly cover anything. Figuring if worse case scenario I am upgrading to pure turbos.

mkraft3003 likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Can't help but wondering if such a change will affect response. To my knowledge, the Pure huffers are not variable geometry and they are also larger.

14. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    Not sure exactly how they do it. I guess that is why they are paid to install them. My good friend who’s shop strictly works on exotic repairs mentioned the pure turbskiis are an option. So is just having them rebuilt…. IF WORST case scenario.

15. viperf430

viperf430 Rookie

Feb 12, 2015
    Orlando FL
    Ferrari Powertrain warranty NOT covering the turbos is a joke. A bad one.
    Makes me rethink getting a 296 with a twin turbo hybrid engine. Never know what is not covered with the extended powertrain warranty and I won't own a 296 without a warranty.

docf likes this.
  16. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Great writeup! I/ believe you did a positive thing for the Ferrari Community regarding some of their questionable warranty issue such as the stickies, the 7 yrs warranty services etc.. Hope you enjoy your car to it's fullest. Good luck!

17. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    would this apply to me? I have the same
    Turbo issue

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Simple question did you buy this car from a dealer , i.e Ferrari Dealer ?

19. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    Correct, yes.

20. TXJay

TXJay Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2022
    Austin, TX
    Sorry to hear man, talk to your SA they may be able to help out if you have new power warranty bound before the fine print update on turbo coverage.

21. TXJay

TXJay Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2022
    Austin, TX
    Turbos are now covered. Factory warranty (always) & now new power warranty (I believe as of April 1)

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Looks like one of my turbos on my '18 488 Spider just went. My car was purchased as a cpo back in April of 22 and I have new power warranty through '25. I should be covered by warranty. I drive this car as it's meant to be driven. Looks like the turbos on the 488 may be a weak point on this particular engine.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rw99 likes this.
  23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The main problem you can get with any turbocharger is not giving them time to cool down after a hot run, if you shut them down too hot then the oil carbonises on the shaft, this then restricts the axial float on the turbo shaft between the thrust bearings. Turbo charger shafts have be able float in both directions. It moves in one direction under power increase and the other when showing down. With carbonised oil on the shaft the float is restricted and on a big turbo you can hear and feel the vibration. Listen for a droning on a change of blower load/ speed. Once you damage the thrust face it will start vibrating and fail. Time they fitted an electric after run oil pump
    The Napier 357s I worked on , the rotation section weight was 940 kgs, some of the big ones have 2000 kg rotors.

docf, blkdiablo33 and Bambino68 like this.
  24. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  25. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Condolences, that’s a bummer. Mileage? Please update us on warranty coverage when it’s fixed.