355 - cold start problems | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 cold start problems

Discussion in '348/355' started by alandrill, Apr 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The "0 280 217 800" falls under the Bosch MAF grouping "HFM297". You have to make sure it has the right plug, though.

2. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    Do you know anyone local to you with a 5.2 car? It would be worth swapping out the AFM for a known good unit to test. I'd also check the idle speed control valve.
    Once it's warm, what does the idle speed do if you turn the AC on/off?

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Qavion likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Miro. I was just looking at the Bremi P/N 30190. The Magneti Marelli P/N is 213719655019 (just in case your link expires)

https://www.autoaibe.lt/en/spare-parts/electrics/air-flow-sensors-throttle-bodies-gaskets/bremi-30190-air-flow-sensor-401753418450.html (from Latvia)

I saw a Bosch from the same Latvian company, but that was close to 1,000 Euros.

https://www.autoaibe.lt/en/spare-parts/electrics/air-flow-sensors-throttle-bodies-gaskets/bosch-0280217800-air-flow-sensor-7221110.html

Doesn't look like they ship outside Europe.

For US buyers of Bremi, they jack up the price considerably... U$179.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353033130327

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can also send them to fuel injection Corp they will rebuild them very nicely and upgrade them with latest componentry.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. alandrill

alandrill Rookie

Nov 12, 2008
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    I've bought a Marelli one from spareto.com. It was so cheap that if it doesn't work it's no real loss. Will let you all know if it works

Qavion likes this.
  8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have done a cheapy MAF once. It was a pure disaster. Since then, I cough up for the real OEM one if I needed one.

9. alandrill

alandrill Rookie

Nov 12, 2008
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Buy a real one. The Marelli option I bought was useless. Fortunately my original is running well now that its had MAF cleaner twice and some TLC with fine foam brushes

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The cheap MAF's are a scam they simply do it work. They look like a mad that's about it. I did find 2 new Bosch OEM ones a while back. Cured all the cars ills

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The cheap MAFs are a scam they simply do not work. At least the ones out of China. They look like a MAFs that's about it. I did find 2 new Bosch OEM ones in the box a while back. Cured all the cars ills. You can have them rebuilt though.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Fully agreed. It's the same on Porsches. Buy the non-OEM and it does not work (CEL). Put the OEM back and all is well.

13. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Not much of a choice: Get a new OEM and be done with it.

Less than a year ago, I bought the correct Bosch MAF from AutoZone for less than $100.
    What happened?

14. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    The OEM MAF is becoming hard to find and costs are getting out of hand. There may be a viable alternative that I've had success with so far but I don't have long term data to provide. There is a cross reference for the equivalent BMW part made by Delphi which is a solid MAF manufacturer. They sell only the sensor itself so you install it inside your OEM Bosch housing. It's a 5 to 10 minute job including removing the whole MAF assembly. You will need a security torx bit (one with hole in the middle) to remove the old sensor. My 97 is currently running with it in place with no issue but it's preliminary. I'll update the 355 parts thread when I'm more confident it's an alternate solution. Delphi part is AF10225 available from Rock for about $150, possibly available from your favorite local autoparts store though likely not in stock at the store.

Carmellini likes this.
  15. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
    These cars are getting to the age that fuel pressure regulators should start going bad. I have not seen this on a Ferrari but I have on other bosch systems. You goto run a vacuum test and you fill your vacuum tester full of gas. in this case the bellos has failed in the pressure regulator. Fuel get sucked into the wrong side of the intake and loads up the plugs. Get it off idle and it able to burn it off. Might be worth a look. It would not throw a code early on.

Zamboniman308 likes this.
  16. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Agree. I was looking for an easy way to get at the vacuum line on the regulator but have yet to get a good hand on it. Unless maybe there's way to reach from the wheel well I think you may need to pull the deck lid off or at a minimum get one of the lift supports off out of the way. That and possibly laying up on the top somehow. Otherwise can't get an angle to get leverage to pull it off.

17. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
    I never would have thought of pulling the wheel well but that might be an option. Just looked at mine. mine is a 95 so bosch 2.7 but pressure regulator looks like its on the very front of the fuel rail against the fire wall.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  20. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Wow that picture really helps visualize what you can feel but not see... far better than the workshop manual sketches.. yet surprisingly similar at same time. Also tells me if theres a vacuum leak on one of those hoses connecting the throttle bodies you'd never know without having the plenum off. Those regulators sure look easy to get to not pinned up against the firewall without the plenum, belt covers, fuel lines, deck lid and support shocks in the way.

Qavion likes this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You take the air plenum off the top of the engine then you can get to the vacuum hose on the regulator.

Ed Russell and Carmellini like this.
  22. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Thats the 1 step I've yet to do as it looks like an absolute SOB to reinstall with the engine in the car. I think it's inevitable as I'll be able to check all those lines and clean the throttle plates.. hell maybe even check and balance them. Likely an inevitable step but good practice.. maybe ill just save it for the fall at this point when the tubi headers will also go on.

23. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
    I think if you pulled the radiator reservoir and the power steering reservoir you could easily each them. Those are not that bad.

Carmellini and Zamboniman308 like this.
  24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Here is where the Spider has its only few advantages over a coupe.

Lower the spider top
    Remove the engine lid (5 minutes)
    Fold the seat forward, stand in the car facing backward
    You should be able to reach the vacuum line on the regulator pretty easily.

This was how I changed a power steering pump on a spider once.

Zamboniman308, Carmellini and Qavion like this.
  25. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Yes! This is the nugget i was looking for. Was hoping to avoid the lid removal but with a second set of hands is easy.
    Thanks!