SF90 Challenge | Page 3 | FerrariChat

SF90 Challenge

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Maximus1977, Oct 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  2. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Is this a racing car or SF90 VS?thx!

3. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I understand Ferrari isn’t going to be doing VS versions in the future and that the Assetto Fiorano pack is essentially replacing those variant cars. If that’s the case then this car isn’t a special version sf90 in disguise. Instead I suspect this is a mule in clever disguise as I can’t imagine them using a SF90 for a challenge type series either.

4. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Pista Challenge street version would be my guess with more intent than a paint scheme.

5. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  6. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Never say never with Ferrari but they were pretty clear about AF pack being the lightweight version equivalent. From a product point of view, SF90S was announced in 2019 and most sources on the forum have pointed towards a 4 year run (2 years coupe heavy and 2 years spider heavy with a 1000 cars produced each year on avg.). My guess would be that this is the test mule for the replacement model, which should be announced in 2023.
    Another possibility that I can entertain is a XX car based on SF90S (like the 599xx but then why is it testing on the road) or an Icona based on SF90S (although this is lower probability as the next Icona will be based on a car from the 1970s so V8 probably is a no-go).
    My money is on this being a mule for the SF90S replacement rather than SF90S VS.

7. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Whatever it is my order is in!

8. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Ferrari also said there would not be a special version of the 458 and that they would never do an SUV and lookly lookly. Lambo Have an SF90 at the moment Ferrari would have been aware of this project at Lambo for sometime this update helps to keep them ahead.

9. Deezwho

Deezwho Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    So how do I order this thing from my dealer? Just show them this picture and say get me on the list for that one? Sorry Im not being intentionally obnoxious, I just wasnt sure what the protocol is for ordering these unannounced models is with Ferrari if you arent a VIP?

10. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    It would be unlike Ferrari to pass up on an opportunity to make a special version for the SF90, despite what they said about AF. And I am sure they are itching to make a car that is faster than a Plaid in a straight line. If they do make a special version, I bet it'll be 500 coupes and 500 spiders and invite only.

Can you imagine if they came out with a version that does 8s in the 1/4? 1200 hp and 200 lbs less weight?

But by most accounts so far, the car is supposed to have more aero, which will be a negative for straight line speed.

11. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Is this a racing car or SF90 VS?thx!

12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Judging only by the sponsor stickers it must be racecar (challenge or whatever). No street car prototype/mule/testcar in development or testing ever wears those. A hypothetical SF90 stradale VS would have camo but not ads.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. F142George

F142George Karting

Jun 26, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    George
    Heard it might be powertrain development mule for LMH

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Re-watching this and according to my previous comment, the black one without sponsor ads potentially could actually be VS. Notice high spoiler, too.

Do you guys find possible that both Challenge and VS are being tested? It could make sense that they don't look very different at this testing, semi-camo'ed stages...

15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If I put stickers on my F8 does it automatically make it a challenge car?

gzachary and Performify like this.
  16. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    the next Icona will be based on a car from the 1970s so V8 probably is a no-go,Source?thx!

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep. They would not dova drop top V12 either lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was told 2 years ago that the next XX Car (basically the FXXK Successor) will be based on the SF90. Not sure if this is still the case but it seems to be a very realistic option.

and it makes a lot of sense. the next Challenge will be based on the 296 so the SF90 qualifies to become the next XX project.

TSOYBELIS, [gTr] and REALZEUS like this.
  19. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I was told the same. Things may have changed since then, but a very credible source.

chrixxx likes this.
  20. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    If that's the case the biggest focus of the development program needs to be massive weight reduction

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    How so? The XX cars are development labs. You can't make an SF90 Stradale much lighter anyway, unless you drop the electric element, which would be the exact opposite of the whole exercise.

22. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    That's the point its a lab. Sadly ICE is on its final legs. For car companies to move forward they have to electrify or die. For sports car / supercars to move forward in this new world they have to better performance like they do in the ICE era. Weight is the biggest factor and issue of this new world electric world. If you don't move you die and with very little room to move in other areas, weight is the key to this movement. If Ferrari can make this jump now ahead of the others that will give them a much stronger foundation for the future and have them leading from the front.

23. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Saw a version of highly aero revised SF90 in a well known garage in late January, put it this way, XX project was not denied…

F140C likes this.