Anyone daily drive their TR? | FerrariChat

Anyone daily drive their TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Threeofnine, Jun 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Anyone daily drive their Testarossa? I’ve been driving mine a lot lately when running basic errands, as long as the weather forecast does not call for rain that is. Daily driving for me is about 1500-2500 miles a year as I work entirely from home. I’ve put just under 400 miles on it since I took delivery in early February.

Gary Sandberg and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- Same here (not that it can't drive well in the wet, but those doors have a lot of surface area to clean-up and are close to other's road spray ;)). Was doing about 3~4K miles per year when I was also commuting to work, but dropped to 1~2K miles per year after retiring.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    did it for a little while.
    parking is a pain.

Texas Forever and Threeofnine like this.
  4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When I had my 88 I drove it at least three days a week - except after snow storms when the roads here still had mag/c and sand.

Dogleg 5-speed made the constant 1-2 shifts a pain but otherwise was fine- AC sucked on hot days in traffic but overall it was fine.

Jet Set Jester and Threeofnine like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sadly I don’t;(
    Mostly pleasure driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #6 vincenzo, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    You guys are nuts if you leave a tr unattended in a public parking spot, baking in the sun.

These days, high end cars are targeted even while driving. They are frequently tagged with Apple tracking devices. Even ‘average’ vehicles.

Don’t think so?

Google carjacking and they’ll give you more than 2,740,000 results that will convince you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Threeofnine likes this.
  7. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Parking is my biggest concern. I’m in a rural area so I don’t have to worry about things like parallel parking or street side parking. However, I’m always a bit worried some jackass will key the car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    I am pretty tall guy and also had that problem going from 1st-2nd. However, I installed a steering wheel spacer and it eliminated the issue.

9. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Looking at the mileage on most TRs (and Ferraris in general), I noticed most are driven less than 1000 miles a year—often less than 500 miles a year. I really cannot understand why. These cars are amazing to drive.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You're preachin' to the Choir ;). When people express amazement that I drive it, I say: "What? I should be saving it for the next Owner?"

I use a steering wheel spacer, too, and a smaller steering wheel.

I use a cover when parked for more than a few minutes -- gives a remarkable amount of security, and reduces the visual attraction and UV damage. Guess I'm lucky to not live in a Dem **** hole state in a Dem **** hole city, and I avoid Dem **** hole areas ;).

11. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    This looks like a Cali/NY type issue. Where I live this type of elaborate theft (or carjackings) is nearly unheard of. People breaking into cars in parking lots is also something no one really worries about because it’s just so rare.

Still though, there are a-holes everywhere. 99% of interactions I have are positive, but I have got the finger a couple times for no reason. I do try not to leave the car unattended for more than a few minutes.

12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have 46k on my 95 355GTS and 14k on my 14 458S

Definitely agree - they are MUCH more dependable and fewer issues the more you drive them :cool::cool:

turbo-joe and Threeofnine like this.
  13. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I daily drove mine for about a year. I lived in the ‘burbs but worked in the city financial district—parked in a tall parking garage attached to a skyscraper. ZERO issues. I had an excellent auto policy and used The Club (yes, that one from the 80s), and so didn't worry much. Maybe I just got lucky.

Threeofnine likes this.
  14. mestlick

mestlick Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael Estlick
    I've driven my Testarossa 10000 miles in 2 years.

Before buying it, I drove about 7500 miles total per year. I think I'm driving more since I bought it, I should check the mileage on my real daily driver. I've been doing 70 mile canyon runs every weekend that the weather cooperates, and 20 mile runs any afternoon I can find the time :)

I do use the TR to go shopping, out for dinner/coffee, pick up a pizza, etc... It works pretty well for that. I do try to park away from other cars, and park where I can pull out straight and have room to maneuver. I've met a bunch of people who say they've seen me out in it multiple times, it is a nice way to meet people.

The maintenance seems to be never ending. It's been more than a dollar per mile. It's been worth every penny.

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Most I can get in Detroit area is around 3,000 miles a year. Put about 22,000 miles on it so far.

Threeofnine likes this.
  16. mestlick

mestlick Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael Estlick
    Quick update, my starter motor stopped working while I was in a TJ Maxx parking lot. Thankfully a friend was nearby and we were able to push start it.
    Truly a glamorous experience :). This is the first time in 2 years that I've been stranded.

Threeofnine likes this.
  17. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Doesn’t sound like you were stranded.

Threeofnine likes this.
  18. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

I have found that I can take the TR anywhere. There is so much respect for the car that people intentionally give me space or want to talk about the car.
    Maybe in Canada things are slightly different, but here, the general trend is that these cars are so iconic, it would be like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa to disturb the beauty and connection people have with these cars.

Threeofnine likes this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Threeofnine and vincenzo like this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    When other cars are down I have "dailyied" the Boxer. But i work from home so have the luxury to choosing the time and route of the journey.
    The more you sue these cars the better they run, and the more in tune you are with them. Id hate to be stuck in traffic in one.

21. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Speaking of this. What is the process to push start a TR? This is my first gasoline powered car in years as previously I’ve been exclusively driving Teslas. My TR is affected by the dreaded hot start issue occasionally so this might come in handy.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Threeofnine likes this.
  23. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    I am. I thought I had it fixed but it happened again on me yesterday. At this point I’m wondering if the solenoid, or starter itself, is the problem because several days ago it even did it on a cold start. I’ve ordered a solenoid, I’m going to change it out in the next few days and see if it makes a difference.

24. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I just turn the ignition on so the fuel pumps are on, put it in 2nd gear, clutch in, have a buddy or stranger start pushing once you get about 5 mph, dump the clutch out. should slow down as it kicks over, but usually it will start no problem. You can also park slightly on a hill facing downwards and do it yourself.

EZORED, 71veedub and Threeofnine like this.
  25. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Actually , I have been push started several times in my old TR I always put it in 4th gear especially if one one person was pushing. People always seemed to get a kick out of helping out. I think that they are amazed that it would even work! LOL

Threeofnine likes this.