355 - Fuel pressure regulator test | FerrariChat

355 Fuel pressure regulator test

Discussion in '348/355' started by Zamboniman308, Jun 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Is there an "easy" way or what is the easiest way to get at the FPR vacuum line to see if they are leaking. Short of contortion, joint dislocation, or some decent amount of disassembly I'm not seeing it. I just want to pop the vacuum line off quick and check.

Looks like you may need to pull the deck lid off to get enough room to reach down there?

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I had to take off the air intake manifold so to check it was working properly

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    What were the symptoms which led you to suspect the vacuum line? Are regulator vacuum hoses a known problem?

I guess you need to check 3 things in this area:

1) That the regulator diaphragm isn't leaking fuel into the nearest cylinder
    2) That the vacuum hose isn't collapsing under vacuum
    3) That the vacuum hose isn't leaking.

Experts:

1) can you jumper the applicable fuel pump relay to see if fuel is dripping into the #1 or #8 cylinder? I guess a boroscope would be required.
    2) does this area get hot enough to cause perishing of vacuum lines causing the line to collapse? Or is it only in combination with diaphragm fuel leaks?
    3) can you use a length of rubber hose to listen for leaks in the line? Or is it too noisy in this area?

4. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I was able to get to them with a combo of removing the deck lid support and the surround between the plenum over the reservoirs... that and a lot of cursing scratches and arm bruises. I have some gremlins that I'm chasing and I've come to taking nothing for granted and systematically working through everything. I mainly wanted to see if there was any trace of fuel apparent in the vacuum line. Was hoping for a 30second look, but turned into a painful hour or 2.

My bank 2 is pulling long term fuel trim negative by around 8% indicating the ECU thinks or is measuring rich. Leaky injector? Aging o2 sensor? Or fuel dumping from the regulator? Also I have an intermittent odd starting issue where car will start fine then RPM will quickly drop below 1000 and into a stumble almost like dropping a bank. Usually stopping and restarting will clear it immediately.. Although lately sometimes will happen a few times. Almost always happens on a cold start.. but I've caught it once or twice on a warm start. Plugs all look good. Needless to say there was no trace of fuel on either side regulator. But I did find a weep on the power steering reservoir hose connection that answers some oil I've noticed... so it wasn't all for not.

Hopefully later this week I'll be able to get a fuel pressure guage on it and video it through prime and startup. I think I'm pulling the engine this fall and going through everything. Get the fuel tank out and make sure all the rubber pieces are addressed etc.. Install tubi headers and donut seals.. I do have new o2 sensors that I may install but the current ones aren't coming out easy. Those are pinned up against a frame member possibly due to aftermarket cats??

5. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Good luck getting it sorted...for this particular problem, just loosen the bolts at the front of the cat and the clamp at the muffler and you can rotate the cat to a better position to get at the o2 sensors. It may be that the o2 bungs weren't located correctly in the first place but it also may be that the cat wasn't rotated into the correct position when installed, in which case you may have exhaust leaks. Have you put your hand next to the front and rear cat junctions while the car is running to feel for leaks? (cold engine right after startup is best)

Qavion likes this.
  6. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    So some developments. Finally got a pressure gauge on it at the fuel filter. Hoping to recreate my cold start stumble with the guage on it and video it. Of course I can't reproduce it now where it was almost every time prior. However, the first start put me around 20psi on keyon prime.. then up to a solid 55 at crank and startup... blip the pedal would get the needle to nudge to 57 or so but steady as a rock and idling fine. Try again the next morning hoping for the cold start stumble.. of course didn't do it.. but key on prime only gave me 5 or so and crank and start had it steadily/slowly rise to 30/32ish and then hold solid. Blip the throttle no change. Subjectively (and expectedly) slightly rougher idle. I've since done a few starts over 36 hours now and get the same 30ish max psi and lower initial prime. Haven't caught a full on stumble but I think I'm on to something if I can trust my gauge. That is a variable as I did remove the gauge and reinstall from the first time.

Surely I have some fuel system rebuild ahead of me. Looking like sooner than hoped. I had planned on investigating the pump rubber bits this coming winter. Pump looks impossible to source at the moment or possibly retrofit an alternate. Hope it can be as simple as new rubber rebuild, cleanup, and new filter to reestablish pressure at the port location. I'd feel better just replacing it all from the pump to the rails to eliminate all issues with the hoses but that will be an undertaking as I think I'd use custom PTFE lines rather than the huge money OEM lines that are suspect with ethanol?