488/F8 as daily or Porsche? | FerrariChat

488/F8 as daily or Porsche?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pninja005, Jun 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    #1 pninja005, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    I wonder how many owners daily their car?

Since about 3 months I'm using the F8 as daily driver and love it. I have a 992 GTS on order which is intended to become the summer daily but I wonder if I just shouldn't keep the F8 as summer daily and get a 992 GT3 instead.

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I love driving my 458 and would really like to do it every day, but I've had a tree branch fall on one car and a woman drove into the back of my pickup in the last month and both times I was happy I didn't take the Ferrari

Napoli, LVP488, Viperjoe and 2 others like this.
  3. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I’m always shocked at how much I can fit in the storage area of my 488. If the roads weren’t covered on salt for 6 months of the year I largely could DD my 488. But as an alternate car and by using it somewhat sparingly it’s an event to drive which is great compromise in my book.

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. I daily'd a 991 GT3 for about 20k miles.

Then I daily'd a 488 for about 7k miles.

Currently daily a Pista.

5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well living in Colorado the term "daily driver" is relative but I have both a 458 Spider and 911 GT3 Touring and drive either/both of them as often as the weather allows - to some extent taking the destination into consideration - i.e. I don't take either to sporting events, concerts, airport etc. where I can't be picky about parking and obviously if my SO and I are both going to play golf we have to take something that both sets of clubs fit in - but otherwise I "DD" them both.

If I were you - and has Ferris B would say "if you have the means" I would just keep the F8 and get a GT3 - best of both worlds.

First world problems :) :)

OSUferrari and AD211 like this.
  6. Don Molina

Don Molina Rookie

May 18, 2015
    I got my 488 back in October with DD duties in mind. Ever since I've already done 6k Km and ran it all through winter on proper tires. Now I try and take it as much as possible, but family situation dictates I have to do morning day care runs so need a car that takes a child seat for those days. If I could fit a child seat I'd take it EVERY single day, but to be honest I had missed my Quattroporte so it's nice to alternate throughout the week.

The car is a great daily, other than the sound system (and the cost) arguably a better daily than the AMG GT S I had before.

7. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I have no intention of parting with the F8. It's either adding a 992 GTS (currently on order) or 992 GT3.
    The idea was to daily the GTS but I got so used daily driving the F8 that I might change my order to a GT3.

First world problems indeed but you only live once ;)

italiafan and Shorn355 like this.
  8. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    992 GT3 Touring May make a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    my daily is the GTs because the F8 attracts too much attention. Plus the GTs is a pleasure to drive when not rallying

10. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I've been rotating between my F8 and 991.2 GT3 for summer daily duty, but I find the F8 attracts too much attention at times so there are some places I don't take it. If I'm just going for a drive, or not leaving the car parked anywhere for too long, I take the F8. Having both is amazing, and they provide such different driving experiences. I'm picking up my 992 GT3 Touring this week :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LVP488, italiafan and Thecadster like this.
  11. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good luck getting one :cool:

12. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    I would DD a porsche. Unless it's a GT car with a huge wing, they tend to fly under the radar for how much fun and capable they are. The Ferrari just attracts too much attention to daily. Can't park it on the street, costco etc. I would love to DD my 458 more but it attracts negative attention when parked in most places.

timjen88 likes this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    We’ve had an F8 and currently have 992 Targa GTS and 992 GT3. I daily the GTS and it’s a great daily. I ordered it in Dark Olive Metallic and it flies nicely under the radar despite it being a very expensive Porsche (actually cost more than our fully-spec’d but non-PTS GT3). I felt there were places I shouldn’t take a Ferrari and that’s always a personal thing. But good though it is, the GTS is no GT3 and no F8. Both are top-drawer sporting drives and the GTS is good but not that good. There really is a big difference.

Thecadster likes this.
  14. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    For me I would take the GTS, as you would gain the "+2" seats that may help in some cases.
    I think they are a great "nice to have", and in fact I just went for a 997 GTS together with my 458 Spider.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #15 italiafan, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    For me there are 4 “car types” that I think are essential to cover all the bases.

1. DD but still fun and enjoyable to drive = Porsche 911 GT3, either winged or touring. GTS is a viable alternative. Maybe Turbo, though a little sterile for me.
    2. Exotic car for electrifying tingles while driving, special drives on twisty back country roads = Ferrari. Any Ferrari will do.
    3. Useful vehicle for messy or bulky errands = Ford F-150 supercrew or similar pickup. There are times you want to be way under the radar.
    4. Luxury 4 seater for family & friends going to dinner, etc. = Rolls Royce Ghost. There are times you want to be pampered.

Texas2step, Hunter911, Xrayv8 and 2 others like this.
  16. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
  17. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Switch to GT3 and daily it and the F8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Could you elaborate how different the GTS is from the GT3. I'd love to hear since you own both.. Thanks a lot in advance!

19. It's like the difference between a Roma and a F12 TdF

LVP488 likes this.
  20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It’s a few key things, some odd, some obvious. Starting with the obvious, the motor. The 4.0 n/a engine is freer revving and sonorous. I had a 997 GTS which was similar but less than the GT3. The 992 GTS is not similar in terms of power train in any way. The 992 DCT gearbox is very smooth but never really instantaneous in the same way as the GT3 (and especially the F8). Combine those two and you feel the GTS, while noticeably more powerful and torquey than the Carrera S (my last daily), is not as free-spirited and immediate as either the GT3 or F8. The odd thing is something I also noticed on my previous C4S. The throttle pedal is quite heavy. Gives a reassuring feeling of robustness and heft but added to the smooth but not entirely quick-witted gearbox and the turbo 3.0 engine you feel like you really need to poke the car to get it to perform. The GT3 and especially the F8 don’t have the same feeling at all.

I chose the GTS to daily because it hides very nicely but still shines in the right company plus it has rear seats and a comfortable ride as well as adaptive cruise and all the things that make a long motorway drive easier if you’re tired. That suits me just fine. I have a number of other cars to do the bare-knuckle stuff although just sometimes I wish it took a little less effort to wake the GTS up. I do mean a ‘little’ because when you do give it a prod it flies along and drives very nicely. It’s not like those intuitive ‘extension of your thoughts’ cars such as Speciale, Pista, GT3 or F8 though. The distance between your brain and the tyres is much shorter with those. Would I choose the GTS again? Yes. What else has the blend of looks, practicality, incognito and performance? Not to mention the targa looks wonderful and works well as a daily open-top. Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

21. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    italiafan, Ramih84, Hunter911 and 2 others like this.
  22. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Thank you all again for your feedback!

I was able to change my GTS order and just got my shark blue GT3 allocation confirmed today :D

LVP488 and Ramih84 like this.
  23. Ramih84

Ramih84 Karting

Oct 18, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Rami
    I drive my 992 Turbo S a decent amount and way more than my Pista. Just to much attention and bad roads by me. I also have a couple other dailies so only so much time/miles I have.

As for the GT3 congrats!!! You will love that color I get a lot of compliments on it when I drive my car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    What were the words you said to your dealer?

25. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    I bypassed them and called Dave Kurtz, Porsche USA Region Head, who was very surprised. There was no reason given as how this could occur. Took 4 months to be rectified.
    Burst my bubble on Porsche quality and respect for owners.
    Quite the opposite situation with Ferrari. Added plus is paid MSRP for my F8–no markups permitted as a policy.