Has Anyone Shopped the GTC4 Lusso VS the F12? | FerrariChat

Has Anyone Shopped the GTC4 Lusso VS the F12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by fkim119, Jun 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    Hi All,

I was going to buy a 2017 F12 before the pandemic happened but I kept talking myself out of it saying the opportunity will always be there. Now almost 2 years later my life has changed ( Wife and I have a 3 month old) and the obvious difference the amount of cars available (both Lusso and F12) and the increase in prices .

One of my buddies picked up a Lusso and I was handed the keys to take it for an extended drive. I was excited to drive it so I can compare the Lusso to what I had stored away in memory back on the F12, 2 years ago. The Lusso had a ride that was really pleasant. Very Gt esque. It had a lot less road noise then what I remember from the F12 and the AWD really tamed that V12 from stepping out on you. He had 2 car seats in the back which was a plus for my wife.

From what I remember, the F12 felt bigger to drive. The hood felt more upright where the Lusso felt like it slopped down a little more to make it easier. The F12 was a screamer, more visceral in comparison and the ride a little harsher. Does they have the same gearing? In cruising speeds (70-80MPH) I felt the RPMS on the F12 were busier. but the F12 feels more alive. I am completely torn because the price difference between the two has closed to gap where that is not a factor over the other anymore.

I prefer the F12. I feel like I would have more fun with it, it needs a little more attention when I drive and think it is a great tourer that leans on the sporty side but I have to take my wife's opinions into consideration. She is saying, if i were to pick up an F car..she would want something that can take the family...

Are my observations on the two cars generally correct? Or am I way off base? I would love to test drive a F12 around me for comparisons sake but there is nothing around...

mclaren slr and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The Lusso is physically larger but I understand your perception that the F12 feels bigger. I’d say that it feels wider (despite the fact that it isn’t) because it rides lower and as a result you sit lower. And with a lower roofline, the view out feels more ‘wide-screen’ in the F12 than it does in the Lusso.

The F12 is more exciting to drive, for sure, but that sort of excitement tends to rule out having a wife or child on board.

Unless you are a dedicated canyon carver, hill-climber or weekened road-warrior and like to drive solo, you won't be losing much by taking the Lusso over the F12. What you will gain is a car that’s less intimidating to drive and one in which you can travel as a family - something which is priceless and probably more suited to the way your life has changed in the last 3 months than the way you life used to be before the pandemic.

3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have 2 young children. The F12 or 812 never entered my shopping experience. The best Ferrari is the one you can drive the most often. With a young one I would suggest the Lusso in your situation….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350MH83, fkim119, RossoF8 and 4 others like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Happy wife ........ happy life! ;)

(not to mention you won't exactly be slumming it).

MB224, fkim119, ANOpax and 1 other person like this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The one on the left had a flippin adorable kid in the car seat wearing a Scuderia F1 Shirt- They were heading up to the the mountains after cars and coffee for lunch- Fun, exciting and safe family Saturday- Go for the Lusso :cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Nefarious

Nefarious Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    The FF is more raw than the Lusso but you lose the extra bits and bobs in the interior that people tend to crave. Also, if you are in to Ferrari history, or if you are a purist, it per-dates the corporate take over of the brand. I believe there was a review by JayEmm on the FF and the differences between the FF and Lusso.

fkim119 likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you are basically correct in your impressions. The other thing Id add is the F12 can “porpoise” a bit on repeating highway bumps- the Lusso is much more settled and refined etc. Think of the F12 as a front engined supercar and the Lusso as a super GT. You can’t lose with either.

(The difference between F12 and FF is not as large, the FF is less refined than the Lusso, so it will be more like the F12, but it is more refined than the F12)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    Thank you all for the help! I had some deep thoughts about which to go with over the weekend and you all are right. I should get the Ferrari that I can drive the most and enjoy with my family. That is the Lusso.

So the search begins and the only real must for is the Cuoio.

I am open to exterior color but the Cuoio is on the top of my list on it must have along with CPO and the extra 2 years of warranty.

I have found these 2 cars online. Does anyone know anything about these 2?
    https://www.ferrarisiliconvalley.com/used-Redwood+City+-2018-Ferrari-GTC4Lusso-V12-ZFF82WNA0J0230061

https://www.ferrarisanfrancisco.com/certified/Ferrari/2018-Ferrari-GTC4Lusso-for-sale-San-Francisco-Bay-Area-54094f190a0e09a80adf76a19fdf9eb0.htm

Thanks all for the help!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I think you should get a 911 Turbo S. Sports car and has the two back seats and still looks cool.

10. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Have you attempted to put real humans in those back seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyrichter, MB224 and 350MH83 like this.
  11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Yeah I have an older 911 so its even smaller. easily fit kids even car seats if needed.

12. myztikal47

myztikal47 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    NJ

From what I've researched, a Lusso has more space in the back seat for kids in car seats than a 911. I'm not sure how true it is, but thats what I read.

Caeruleus11, fkim119 and FerRrari like this.
  13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Highly recommend the panoramic roof option. Night and day difference imo. To each their own but in my humble opinion picking a 911 over a V12 Ferrari isn’t the best purchase.

14. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    más others have said the family Ferrari is the best Ferrari, do beware that your kid may get motion sickness during their first couple of years of their life (happened with my daughter) and the bumpiness in the back will make the situation worse so you may end up not driving the Lusso as much for the first couple of years.

That red is gorgeous. I’ve been eyeing it myself just window shopping at this point. It’s only missing the panoramic roof.

I love this spec: http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/267586AB

15. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Totally agreed. Forget about not being in the same league or ballpark, they aren't even playing the same game.

16. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    You can actually fit full size adults in the back of a Lusso and they will be fine. They will have a wonderful view if you have the panoramic view. No way you can fit an adult in the back of a 911. My kids are 8 and 10 and hate the back of the 911 (991.2). The seats are ridiculous, the leg room is non existent, and if in the sun you are cooking under the rear window.

Caeruleus11, Raj seth, MB224 and 2 others like this.
  17. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    I've had and owned almost everything Porsche makes with the exception on some GT cars (GT3 RS, GT2 RS). They are absolutely bulletproof and get better when the miles on them increase. I will probably come back to a 991 someday but I want to take a step away from it for now.

18. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    The thing that separates the Lusso for me is not only the V12 but I can fit a mini stroller in the Lusso. No way it is fitting in the Porsche.

Caeruleus11 and FerRrari like this.
  19. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    Absolutely gorgeous spec! Can this be warrantied from Ferrari and CPO'd since it is from an outside dealership? That is why I have been only looking at Ferrari Dealership to develop a relationship and get the extra warranty from the CPo...

20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Lusso is a true adult 4 seater..

Caeruleus11 and FerRrari like this.
  21. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I’d check with the dealer see if they can do something for you.

22. Frank Scholl

Frank Scholl Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 1, 2020
    Davie, Florida USA
    Full Name:
    GotmyLussoV12
    To the OP have you found your car? I have have a beautiful Grigio Ferro with Cuoio interior 2017 V12 Lusso that I have decided to sell. Car is in Fort Lauderdale and has had all work done at Ferrari. PM if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and Performify like this.
  23. JPR1

JPR1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joh Pru
    May I see your car on Sept 11 or 12

24. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004