Used vs New | FerrariChat

Used vs New

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dsald, Jun 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dsald

Dsald Karting

Mar 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Chris Johnson
    I am new to Ferrari, and I am curious how many people here buy used vs ordering new on cars that are still in production.

I see a good amount of used sf90's, f8's, Roma's and so on out there. How many people would rather wait the 12-24 months to get one new? Instead of getting a used one now?

I went back and forth on this a lot, and ended up going used, but I am curious how others feel, and what's most important for them.

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Depends on your budget and level of patience….for myself I have a low level of patience….buy used and order new all at the same time. Speccing your own car is a special experience. By the time it arrives you’ll be ready to trade….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

New - I want excatly what I want without any compromise whatsoever. That said, I did but a extraordinarily pristine preowned 458, which put me in line for a 488 and an F8 subsequent to that.

Dsald likes this.
  4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Always bought used. Im not super picky on colors/options and i dont really care about being the first on the block, so used works better

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My 612 has a Monroney of $385K. I bought it with 4,400 miles for $149K. My FF has a Monroney at $363K. I bought it with 9,000 miles for $159K.

My wife sometimes calls me cheap, I prefer to say I'm penny wise. :)

NYC Fred, FerrfanFL and anunakki like this.
  6. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've owned 4 Ferraris- Currently own 2- Never bought new- 1) Could not afford to when what i wanted was new - 2) now that I can there is nothing new that I want that is available to normal people like me (both financially and my "rank" in the world of Ferrari) - in other words I don't want a Roma or 296 and I can't afford or have access to something like an SP3 Daytona.

Dsald and Nospinzone like this.
  7. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I always let some other sucker absorb the depreciation, I've never owned a new car and that's likely saved me enough to buy several more.

USMCS6, RedTaxi and Shorn355 like this.
  8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 2014 458S had a sticker of $324k- Paid $214k w 9k miles- now worth $250k+

:cool:

9. Dsald

Dsald Karting

Mar 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Chris Johnson
    I understand the want/need for others to absorb depreciation, but buying an sf90, f8, Roma, portofino-m used right now isn't saving you any money, only time. Most of these cars are selling above msrp.

Florida Joe and Saile like this.
  10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep- Very true

Florida Joe, Dsald and Saile like this.
  11. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's just like Rolexes- you can buy new from an AD and pay MSRP and wait- or be in a hurry and buy used and pay over MSRP- Same situation :cool:

12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    There are many components to this addiction.

1. Affordability ( silly in a sentence with Ferrari). I was always 1-2 models behind and that was my comfort zone. We live on the depreciation curve we are comfortable in. In the past, there was a steep discount to the 2+2 models and front 12s. This depreciation is a thing of the past (for now?)
    2. Access. Buying used and developing a relationship with a dealer helps build access. While anyone can place an order, when and if it gets built is unclear. I get the sense that my cars are given a higher priority at this point. Compared to others timelines.

3. Interim cars- many of us scratch the itch with the inventory that’s available while our perfect build is done. In the past, the build times were more predictable and now it really isn’t. No matter what anyone says. So find something that teaches you about Ferrari, and about yourself and go for perfect.

Unlike many here I have enjoyed less than perfect combo’s and specs. I have had a variety of colors and specs and loved every car. In the end, I wont remember any of what they didn’t have.

For me, I had six or seven Ferraris before I bought new. Now I am enjoying that experience. Now its about access as the depreciation curve has lessened and this change allows me to endulge in more cars at once.

13. Dsald

Dsald Karting

Mar 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Chris Johnson
    Yes today's market is "odd" to say the least, which made accounting for depreciation very difficult.

My choices were to buy a used 2021 Roma with 3k miles for Msrp, or order a new one and wait probably 18-24 months. In 18 months it would probably be one of the last Roma's built. It would be new, but now 4 years into the cycle. Chances are it would depreciate instantly, unless market just keeps going crazy.

I didn't feel like the used one was going to be worth much less 24 months from now, especially since I have 4 kids and don't see myself putting more than 1k miles per year on it.

As crazy as I felt to pay msrp on a car that had 3k miles on it (still better deal than most), I couldn't see a reason to wait unless I couldn't find a spec I was very happy with.

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #14 SCEye, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    I'm poor. bought used. luckily car retained most of its value the last 10 years.

15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Used, couldn't live with the depreciation of new. I'm on my second Ferrari. Both bought at 10 years old. First one held it's value. Second one is appreciating.

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Used. And financed. I can't make the payments on a double wide AND a Ferrari at the same time.

ferraridreamer and anunakki like this.
  17. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This question is very similar to building a home vs buying a custom built one. There are tons of headaches with building one and almost always cost more than whats budgeted, but what a once in a lifetime experience.

I have always wanted to build a house exactly the way I wanted. As a result, me and my family have been living in my dream home/garage for 14 years now!

Dsald likes this.
  18. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I haven't had the opportunity to build a brand new Ferrari (not wealthy enough), but I have spec'd other new car brands and an amazing experience also.

Ultimately, I would say I have bought more used cars than new, as depreciation is my friend.