Please explain older ferrari models | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Please explain older ferrari models

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by craze, Jun 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I get what your saying, but its rare that these owners drive their cars, its that simple.

Thank you

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Unless you grew up in the 80s and have a nostalgic love for the older cars, you arent going to like them.

I grew up in the 80s and in the early 00s, when i could finally afford a Ferrari, I couldnt get excited about 308s or Testarossas after driving them. Just way too old.

So i bought a 355.

I think 355/550 are as old as you can go and be happy with the car.

But make sure to drive them first as they are still old cars and nothing like the cars over the past ~15 years

3. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    idk, I think we are around the same age, but I keep gravitating to the BaT auctions of 308s and testarossas. I love the simplicity, beauty, lightness and size of the 308, and the tr has such a presence. One day I’ll scratch that itch, just can’t decide which one!

On the other end of the spectrum,none of the Ferraris of the past 10 years really appeal to me. If I bought something modern it would probably be a gt3/gt4

anunakki likes this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #29 ginoBBi512, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    I love the 355s , they look insane !! , but the steering wheel, and the interiors suck, so does the build quality. You can get a much better built Gallardo, with a V10 for less money than a 355, or a late model 911. I love my 89 328, and will always have it .Its such a shame that the 355s were not built with the same quality, and bullet proof ness that the 308 s, 328s and 348s . Testarossas had. Im wondering if the 488s when driven properly could withstand my 328s 100,000 mile spanking over 23 years of ownership without blowing up.

Thank u

anunakki likes this.
  5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Serious question. Have you driven them?

I was once set on getting a TR...then I spent some time driving one. Crossed that off the list.

obviously some do love them, but the fantasy was much better than the reality for me.

6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I don't toss my cod with my own bottom dwelling last of the 'real' carby,manual only,spline on wheeled family car:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This just completed a 6000klm,that's 3600 miles for you,drive from Far North Queensland to the bottom of Victoria,up to the Snowy's and then onward to my mechanic in Brisbane for some remedial work.

I don't call that a trailer queen...........................BUT I do get what you're cracking on about.
    Had the OP worded his thread differently then I would not have received the 'likes' I've received from a bunch of obviously learned friends!!

Thank you in return.

Zanny1, Mmckee and ginoBBi512 like this.
  7. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    P&R trolling? :)

Don't worry craze... it's just a joke. V8 vs V12 is a religious debate. :)

8. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Ha! You might be right, never drove either, just love the way they look. I don’t have much expectations for power or speed. I’m extrapolating from my 993, it’s not too fast, but because of that I can rev it out much much more than my 430 or 575, so still fun to drive, just in a different way. Especially for the 308, if it feels nimble and light, drives tight, and sounds great, I’ll be happy enough.

As for the tr, in the back of my mind I know you are right. It’s just so so beautiful, and sometimes sacrifices must be made for that

I wish I had more garage space and funds, it would be great to something from each decade since they all have a different appeal

anunakki likes this.
  9. sinistermist

sinistermist Karting

Mar 23, 2016
    Speak for yourself. I am 35. 80s cars were old when I was a kid. I enjoy my mondial immensly.

JOHNCJ8989, Mmckee and anunakki like this.
  10. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Excellent. That's what owning a vintage var is all about. Hardly a bottom feeder. 70's Grand touring never goes out of style.
    Some times you have a little tinkering to do on them...... that's part of the experience.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

simon klein likes this.
  11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "Yes my friends, every old Ferrari comes with a fully stocked machine shop."

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    "They all have fantastic brakes" - at least I can say from experience, having owned one during a few years, that the testarossa's brakes were genuinely terrible. The 512 TR upgraded the wheels from 16" to 18" to accommodate larger discs, and it was definitely welcome.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  13. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yeah we were GTing alright..............................at about 120MPH in some places.
    Just to completely stuff up the OP's thread I'll throw a few pics of some of the other like minded folk.
    By way of explanation,all the Ferrari's came from Queensland bar the black TR.
    We all drove around 1000 miles more than everyone else and apart from having to adjust my clutchcable (I may have to explain that one to the OP :D),we all got back to where we had to be without a problem.:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login