488 GTB New exhaust with p0420 and p0430 codes | FerrariChat

488 GTB New exhaust with p0420 and p0430 codes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wizard355, Jun 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    I recently installed high flow 400 cell cats with titanium exhaust. It now has p0420 and p0430 codes. Any ideas why?? And solution?

2. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Putting the stock cats back on will solve the problem...

f355spider likes this.
  3. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Those cats will not work with the software. Best bet is reinstall the original exhaust. Other options are installing a catalyst simulator on the downstream exhaust.

4. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    The exhaust company says they never had an issue before.. I love the sound but not the CEL lol gotta find a solution. Thanks

5. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    Will it still sound good?? Better than stock muffler??

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No..it will diminish the sound. Tune out the cat efficiency monitor..

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Depending on the state that may keep him from passing his emissions test. Tuning out the monitor will keep the light out but always show an incomplete monitor and many states will not allow that to pass and get registered. His decision will need to be based on his state requirments.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree. But it also depends on how good the tuner is. If done right..it's not detected. Only way it will reveal itself is through monitoring the data stream

9. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    I am in Arizona and don’t emissions for another 2 years. Will the fab speed 90 degree spacers work?

10. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Unlikely

11. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    The 488 is very sensitive to the difference between upstream and downstream readings. You can delete the CEL with an OBD reader but the problem will still remain. I had the same issue and ended up replacing my kline exhaust with stock could not be happier, Why people mess with the exhaust on these beautiful cars is beyond me.

wizard355 likes this.
  12. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Pardon my skepticism, but that's a load of crap. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that you're dealing with Fabspeed....Stock cats and an aftermarket muffler are your safest way to keep the CEL off. Everything thing else mentioned is of dubious legality.

tbakowsky likes this.
  13. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    I have 400 cell hi flow cats and muffler.. both are from Advanced Innovation R&D.

14. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    I just wanted a better sounding exhaust. Stock sounds horrible

15. wizard355

wizard355 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016
    Where do I get the catalyst stimulator from? Easy to install? Or do I have to remove rear bumper?

16. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Big daddies seem to work well http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
    By reducing the catalyst efficiency you're triggering a warning that the cats aren't working. Putting these in can solve it - it might still not, but these have had the best luck in the 360 world with the same codes...
    I don't think you need to remove the muffler, however I haven't done this on a 488 prior.

17. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Not easy to install. There’s not much room in there. I tried and failed to get to the O2 extenders. Workshop had to remove whole exhaust to get them off.

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    They are either lying, or their catalysts are defective and should be replaced. I suspect the former, rather than the latter.

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The only way to get a better sounding exhaust is to sell the 488 and get a 458.
    Turbos are a natural muffler. You can increase the sound.. but it will NEVER be as sweet and crisp as an N/A car..ever.

I did catless down pipes and a tune with pretty much straight out exhaust and it really sounded good. But not near as good as a 355 with test pipes and a tubi..

20. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    OEM Cats have a required minimum 8 yr/80k warranty, what is the warranty on your 400 cell Cats? What do you think the OEM manufacturer requires to maintain that type of warranty? If you guessed more precious metals to convert HC, CO, and NOX to H2O, CO2, N2, and O2 you guessed right. Aftermarket Cats may not have the ability to store and release O2 (that's all a Cat does)to keep emissions in compliance.
    The most prevelant test of the Cat is called an Oxygen Storage Test and may be done at idle or at freeway speeds (depends on the manufacturer) . The ECM monitors the pre and post Cat O2 sensors and measures the O2 going into and out of the converter. The ECM richens the mixture to empty the converter and then leans it to fill it back up. It then measures the time delay between the upsream lean and downstream lean. It's looking for roughly a delay of 7 to 10 seconds of storage capability. Anything less than 4 seconds means the converter isn't storing oxygen and sets a P0420 code. It's tests twice before a CEL is set.
    The test can be fooled by an exhaust leak so make sure everything is tight.
    I would suggest re-hang your OEM Cats with your aftermarket exhaust or place black tape over your CEL.

21. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

Those wont work. There is only one brand of O2 simulators I have found to work. I hate to recommend them because it is the only product of theirs I would ever consider putting on a car.
    https://www.fabspeed.com/fabspeed-universal-90-degree-o2-spacers-with-catalytic-converters-pair/
    https://www.fabspeed.com/fabspeed-universal-45-degree-o2-spacers-with-catalytic-converters-pair/

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They don't work either. I have a set sitting on my bench if anybody wants them..pure garbage.

rotaryrocket7 likes this.