Cured Hysol Removal | FerrariChat

Cured Hysol Removal

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mrjb, Jun 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Hi Guys,
    In the process of changing some ball joints on my 360, was all going quite smoothly until I’ve come to clean out the previously applied hysol.

In an effort to shorten this journey of discovery does anyone have any tips.

I’ve tried car paint thinners, loctite adhesive remover, brake cleaner, nail varnish remover, scotch brite (as per the wsm). It won’t budge. Trying to avoid the use of abrasive as I don’t want to score the aperture in the arm.

2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It comes out easy using a dremel and a soft scotchbrite wheel, i got a pack off e bay and very cheap. These will remove it and leave the alloy shining without removing anything. Drop me an e mail and i will find an e bay link
    Look up dremel abrasive wheel on e bay. 40 off for £8 my money
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Perfect.. thanks Mike. I’ll park the chemicals :confused:

5. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    And out of interest, did you use hill ball joints? As far as I can see these have a ptfe lining, presumably you don’t lubricate them as that would be detrimental to the lining.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I did use the Hill parts, but mine is the 430-you can lubricate ptfe with anything as its inert. After i have them fitted in the arms and before i fit the circlip covers i sit them on the bench and spray with fully synthetic motor bike chain lub. This stuff goes on like wd40 but then dries to a wax. Do one side, leave to set and turn over and do other side. Fit covers.
    This stuff is so thin it gets into the joint and the ptfe ring. You can also lub them in situ using the thin plastic tube with the spray can, by getting it between the top of the ball joint and the rubber cover.
    Do you have a procedure on how to get the arms off as there are things to be careful with - i have one for a 430 which might be similar

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Forgot to mention, use dremel at reduced speed until you see how good these abrasive pads are, too fast and they can fly apart

8. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Yeah have the wsm, and have the upper arm off and old ball joint pressed out.
    Was just concerned that certain camps say don’t lubricate ptfe lined joints as the lubricant attracts dirt, which then affects the lining.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the cover is in place the crap cannot get in. No point putting molycote graphite grease in, as it will not flow into where the nylon ring is. The oem ones fail as the chrome comes off and the slivers get to the nylon and wear it away. When you use the adhesive and it comes out of the oven, put a screwdriver in the ball joint and move it around in case any hysol gets on the curved surface. It can lock up so moving it will show any and you can remove while still hot

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Mine was easy… there was no Hysol from the previous replacement :rolleyes:

11. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
  12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its normal to see it all over the inside, trick is not to put too much on as you have to clean off the excess without it getting on the curved machined surface. Those dremel bits will give that a mirror finish

13. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Abrasive wheels worked perfectly and got rid of the hysol, and produced a nice finish.
    Thanks Mike! Good tip!

Arms have new joints installed just need to get the lowers put back on the car.

The only slight niggle I’ve had is on the lower ball joint covers, the rubber between the two ends of the circlip doesn’t want to sit completely flat. Almost like there is too much material, the clips sat well in the recess though.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    As long as the circlip is sat in the groove it will be fine- i put a thin film of jointing compound like RTV over the seal by the circlip to cover the holes. Its not seen and will help to keep water out

15. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Excellent, thanks Mike.

Changing steering arm next, then it’s geometry time.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Any movement in the track rod ends and you will never get it right- hill parts again

17. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Yep.. hill rod end is going on. It’s the inbound ball joint which has the play, so am replacing with a super performance arm.

Fingers crossed it will undo easily.

18. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Are you able to remove those inner ball joints without removing the whole arm?

Mine has play on the inside ball joint as well but have been putting it off long enough

19. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    The arm is a single piece. It’s febi and cost about 150gbp plus vat, so if anyone can work out febi part codes, might be able to save a little in future.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    I did have a quick look based on the numbers stamped on the arm but couldn’t find a match.

Typical febi/lemforder arms are about 20 - 50 gbp.

21. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I meant removing that whole inner tie rod from the steering rack with the rack in situ or do you have to remove the entire steering rack from the car, put it on the bench and then remove the inner tie rod.

22. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Looks fairly accessible with the rack in situ. I just need to pull the boot back, but might not even need a proper tie rod removal tool.

Will take some pics.

23. RS RS

RS RS Rookie

Aug 14, 2019
    usa
    @Mrjb Did you make any progress on replacing the inner tie rod? I am going to do that and was wondering if the entire steering rack needs to be removed to do that.
    thx

24. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If an entire steering rack has to be removed in order to replace a tie rod that would really suck. I'm hoping this is not the case and somebody chimes in

25. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    also, in looking at OEM inner tie rods, there's no flat sections to put a tool on it, the end of the ball joint looks totally round so I'm not sure how people would remove it with the rack in place...pipe wrench?