430 - Ahhhh first break down possible clutch F1 pump ? Experts please help? | FerrariChat

430 Ahhhh first break down possible clutch F1 pump ? Experts please help?

Discussion in '360/430' started by boba fett, Jun 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Out for a nice drive, 10 minutes into it, I did think the gears where not responding well, especially neutral to first, so then thought I should get it home, then, car says slow down, e-diff warning, then not changing gear, so stuck in fifth, then no gears. On the side of a busy dual carriageway, managed to limp in first to a side road get first and noticed the F1 fluid has gone all over the place from what looks like the reservoir.

AA turned up (I told them it’s needs recovery and they can’t fix it, but it’s policy to send a van first) to see if he can fix it and see what the issue is and now waiting for recovery truck !!

Anyone hazard a guess at what my issue is and I am a bit worried as every time you open the door the F1 pump primes but chances are it’s got no oil in it!

Car has been so up to now, really does mess your day up and it’s very embarrassing in a bright red Ferrari that’s knackered on the side of the road !

2. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Mods please change beak to break in the title please, it’s a pain on an I-phone on the side of the road!!

E60 M5 likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Fluid all over the place ? Did the rubber tubes/ connections under the reservoir break..

Remove relay or disconnect battery ..clean up andnsee where leak is coming from..if low pressure line then it will leak all the time

If no leak.. have someone quickly out relay back and monitor pump area and see if a high pressure line is leaking including the lines going to clutch , Ediff and actuator

First step to see if you have a leak

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You mention AA, is this a uk car ? You need to either remove the F1 pump relay or fuse PSF31 behind the passenger seat. You can turn off battery in the front boot if u have a tork key to suit (T40). Point is stop the f1 pump from running

honda corse likes this.
  5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Out of the overflow pipe or somewhere else?

6. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Cheers guys, just got the car home and I have just removed the pump relay, Phew it was making some "struggling noises" o_O

Off out for a beer now, I need it, starving, burnt face and 5 hours on the road side !

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Enjoy

If you feel like talking thru it on the phone ..let me know

8. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019

I've just had a look and its sprayed up onto the engine cover, lots of fluid which is now on the road or on the diffuser, nothing obveious to me, but I am not very mechanical!

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Take a few pics ..of all the areas.. sounds like a line broke ..
    Or the clutch block

mwstewart likes this.
  10. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    whats the clutch block Flash?

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #11 flash32, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    It is where the lines terminate from the main F1 power unit in fender to the clutch .. so it is side of the clutch

boba fett likes this.
  12. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Yikes first the rim and now this.

13. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    yes I am not having much luck!

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look at these pics and tell us where leak is. Is the leak under the wing or more towards the gearbox. The flexy hoses under the wing go to the gearbox- if one of these has gone dont buy from ferrari as silly money, you can get a full set for the price of one from ferrari
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are you in uk ?

16. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Hi Mike yes I am?

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do you know how to get into the system ? If you need to see the valve block you will need to remove the wheel liner

18. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Its just gone back on the recovery truck now to get the car over to the Ferrari Gods!!! They are confident its a burst hose, which is becoming extremely common as the hoses age and it would appear its always the same one and its the way Ferrari route it that accelerates the problem (he has another f430 sat there already with exactly the same symptoms)

So hopefully new hose, routed better and the problem goes away!

19. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    But you don't even know which hose it is yet either do you? or even if it really is a hose?

20. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Indeed, but don't shoot the messenger, all I can say is they seem pretty confident and they know there way around a F430!

21. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes that's a common issue unfortunately. I adjusted my hoses to reduce the strain on the joint. Ideally the hoses should be supported in a better way.

LorenzoR likes this.
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I put a section of air hose over the e diff return line as it can rub on the rear alloy cross beam, the hose is made very neat fit, 2 more inches would be better

23. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

. It's always a good idea to reinforce these lines. It gets so darn hit in there to. I put DEI heat shielding on everything I can Including my shifter cables and Hydraulic clutch line

24. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    just a few weeks ago the same thing happened to me (burst hose, fluid dripping, stranded) but I made the unfortunate mistake of limping the car and destroying my pump in the process. My bill is in the $16k cad range at the moment with my local AD. Apparently hoses are cheaper bought as a kit at $5k.

25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can get a full set of hoses from germany for about €600. Ferrari prices are crackers