FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2022: ▄▀▄▀▄▀ RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2022: ▄▀▄▀▄▀ RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Maybe Mercedes can make an adaptive aid for the 7x WDC title holder to keep the car from porpoising???

Also, Mercedes can get a handicap parking sticker for the car and on the track so Sir Lewis Hamilton doesn't have to walk so far. Better yet, get a wheelchair ready when he gets out of the car maybe???

Just some suggestions to aid his ailment.

stavura, lagunacc and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wheelchair championship maybe...he could be leading it!

It's very simple. Merc has been saying the same thing since the start of the season: "Porpoising is unsafe, it will cause a crash, medical issues" bla bla bla. The fix is very simple. Raise the ride height at expense of performance. Mercedes apparently values performance over their drivers safety, in an aim to get the FIA to either set minimum ride heights or bring in active suspension for next year (or both).

I will fall off my chair laughing if FIA introduces a maximum oscillation over a set distance though. Technically speaking it would be the fairest thing, since it won't punish those that solved it and it would aid in that driver safety Mercedes advocates so hard for.

Nortonious and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’m almost speechless. At the first of the season the Ferrari was incredibly fast AND reliable. It seems as RB eclipsed Ferrari’s top speed, recently Ferrari have been tweaking the engine performance and this has caused the unreliability.

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. No one in his right mind would leave Ferrari today to move elsewhere. Can you see it now? Leclerc moves to say Alpine or ever Mercedes and see Sainz run away with it next year in a reliable car that doesn't porpoise. Talk about career suicide.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  5. Maser GTS

Maser GTS Karting

Sep 18, 2011
    I don't ever see Sainz running away with the championship. It could be the driver that replaces Leclerc runs away with the title, but I don't see Sainz ever winning the championship.

20000rpm, Giallo 550 and Bas like this.
  6. MaxVerstappen33

Apr 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    Bertrand Gachot
    You can never make up what you lost last year, but I think today we had an incredible pace in the car

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    No. It's just ups the challenge a bit. "No hill for a climber" is the old saying, right?

lagunacc and schumacherf2006 like this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    depends how good the car is....last year he did very well, of course.

9. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love your optimism

10. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Maybe ham's pain from porposing is aggravated from all the jewelry, earrings, piercings and such.

Or maybe it's just directly proportional to his growing points deficit.

Yes, he better withdraw from Montreal and retire now. He has his excuse and can garner much sympathy and attention on his way out the door.

20000rpm, Bas and absostone like this.
  11. MaxVerstappen33

Apr 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    Bertrand Gachot
    I think you guys are taking this badly. This is Ferrari's first year out of the wilderness and it's a huge ask to take on a surging Red Bull outfit who probably do have the best driver combination on the grid along with the best car engineer. Also the season is less than 1/3 of the way thru, you can fully expect RB to have their own reliability issues crop up as their engines in the pool get older and I'm also expecting Sainz to get much closer to mixing it with the Bulls like Charles.

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I admire your optimism. Indeed, the only thing certain is there's a lot of racing left. But SF does seem on the back door at the moment, which is all the more frustrating with the earlier miscues this season.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Any constructor values performance above anything else, and there are many examples of that.
    One could say that Chapman was so successful because he valued performance above his drivers safety.
    This weekend, Ferrari gambled engine performance against reliability, did they not?
    So it's no surprise that Mercedes refuses to slow down their cars to solve what is an aero issue created by the rules.
    True that Mercedes handles badly the porpoising issue, but are still 3rd in the championship at the moment. But that's better than many.
    What would be the point of sacrifying performance by raising the ride height and then slide down the ranking?
    No constructor serious about racing would do that.
    We know they have to find a solution, but some other teams are not so great either on that subject.

If we go back to the "real ground effect cars", the rules finally banned them because they were deemed unsafe in certain circumstances.
    At the time it was the unreliability of the side skirts that was in question, having occasioned several spectacular accidents.
    Matter for thought ...

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What does Ferrari's engine issue have to do with driver safety? Zero.

There are teams that have solved the issue. Merc just hasn't. They can rant at the rules as much as they want, but the rules aren't to blame, it's a design issue. As simple as that. Mercedes tries to play the ''it's dangerous'' card but refuses to do anything about this ''danger''. If they're happy with it, they should shut up and work at the problem, stop trying to get the rules changed (which penalizes those that have worked their way round it). Simple as that.

20000rpm and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Easy for you to say Max… you’ve won 5 out of the last 8 races with nothing but momentum on your side for another WDC…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxVerstappen33 and Giallo 550 like this.
  17. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    ESPN cut the qualifying after q1?

Might have to break down and get the F1 live app

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I haven't said today, but in future when a better opportunity arises!

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I actually think that with the way things are going right now, after the Silverstone update Red Bull can focus on the 2023 car (so long they don't have any mishaps in Canada and Silverstone). I expect Canada to be another Ferrari pole but Red bull win (it's a sprint race as well so that might be 2 wins for Red Bull), and Silverstone may be a Red Bull pole and win (plenty of high speed corners playing into red bulls hands). Their lead is worrying.

Ferrari meanwhile need to upgrade their race pace and Sainz seriously needs to matter in the championship now and come between Max and Charles...which I don't expect to happen, unless Ferrari finds a lot more speed. Ferrari's engine upgrade clearly failed so they need to go back to spec 1, costing power, or keep risking the unreliable engine. So Ferrari needs to spend for upgrading speed and reliability, and also need to keep 2023 in mind. This double DNF was HUGELY costly in the big picture.

Red Bull just swapped components for the first time on their cars. It looks like their fuel related issues are solved, at no cost to their engine performance or taking extra parts. Come to think of it, if Charles needs a new turbo for Canada he won't even start from pole even if he gets it, as he's component limited already. Did I say expensive?

william and crinoid like this.
  20. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I saw it all on ESPN. Or ESPN2, whatever it was. No issues here at all.

Quite frankly I can't see how there can be any complaints with the USA coverage being commercial free on the various ESPN channels. Sheesh . . . .

Alexweav79 likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I will help you there: the engine performance were traded against increased unreliability.

The more you "pump up" an engine, the more you risk a failure.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Driver....safety. Where was the driver safety? All it did was a risk in championship.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, there are teams that keep quiet about the issue, but they aren't top teams, are they.
    Their performance aren't so much affected, and some may have gone the easy way you advocate "raise the ride height, go slower and sacrifice your performance".
    Mercedes is working on the problem whilst raising an opinion at the same time. Is it what you don't like?
    Yes, some team principals also play the political game and try to influence the FIA; sometimes it works it seems.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes, Mercedes stands to gain absolutely nothing by constantly complaining in the hope that the FIA would intervene by lets say introducing a minimum rideheight. Absolutely zero.

:rolleyes:

Mercedes' problems are obviously real, and I call them out for trying to influence the FIA to intervene. That's it.

I would hope the FIA does and introduces a maximum amount of oscillation per distance, but it would harm Ferrari significantly as well, ruining the chance of a championship battle.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The conversation was about accepting to lower performance, for whatever reason: safety, comfort, reliabitity, or else ...

No team chose that, they all prefer to push the envelope in every direction: that's how success comes, not by playing safe.