The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated | Page 9 | FerrariChat

The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SoCal to az, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hey, you’re welcome! That’s what we do in this site - help each other out (occasionally, lol!).

I’ve seen an open floor plan design very similar to yours in the flesh. It is absolutely awesome!

SoCal to az likes this.
  2. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    May I suggest the desk be facing the cars ;) Would be a nice "working" view rather than looking at the Golf Sim.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The issue with that is I have a 49 inch curved monitor that I use. So my view will be blocked. And I can’t be in a room with my back to the entrance. It’s a throwback from my 007 spy training. ;)

Jdubbya, AD211 and Boots like this.
  4. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Jasonberkeley, Bryanp and SoCal to az like this.
  5. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Where is the entrance? I assumed it was the staircase! But fair enough on the back to the wall point, my "spot" in the living room is with my back to the corner.

6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So you have two entrances. The staircase and the sliding glass door at the top of the room. By sitting at the desk as I’ve rendered it, I’ve got the same as you- my back to the corner of the room so I can see everything and then I turn the chair around and my cars are below.

I’m sure I’ll go through 30 more variations of this before it’s done. Lol. The professionals have it now.

Boots likes this.
  7. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Worked on the exterior landscape/pool/fire pit/outdoor living area yet? I’m sure that’s not even a factor at this point but when you get there I had the folks at Paradise Restored work up a plan for me that I then turned over to my architect then builder. They do good work. I stumbled across them on YouTube. www.paradiserestored.com.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Just found this thread. What a fantastic project!

That’s a beautiful area. My wife and I spend four days at Sanctuary Camelback a couple of weeks ago. We are thinking a vacation spot there would be pretty fantastic! I love the look of your place. We looked briefly for some lots but were not really serious. But after driving around, I think that side of Camelback is the place to build!!

Can’t wait to see pics when you’re done!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SoCal to az likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So we are just down the street and around the corner from the Sanctuary. Thank you for the kind words. For a vacation place- look at Ascent at the Phonecian.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I already had a landscape architect mock some thing up. It was required by the city. We aren’t doing fancy landscaping. I want a no maintenance yard. In fact I think we are going to not do a pool. I know I know! Blasphemy! How can you not do a pool in AZ/. We never used ours in the last 3 homes we owned. Was just a big money pit. We have a spot of the next homeowner ever wants one they can drop in a pool but we aren’t doing it.

AD211 and Thecadster like this.
  11. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Ok, that settles it.

Never visiting you. No pool, no dice. :D

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    TWK, Ngcanada, willrace and 9 others like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ok I have a decision to make. We were looking at the elevator options that we are going to put in the house- I have an elderly father that cant climb stairs so when he visits, I want him able to go anywhere in the house. Other than that, probably don't need the elevator much. However upon looking at the options that are available, we discussed the option of instead of stairs in my office, to change it out to a glass elevator. There would still be a standard elevator in the other part of the house- this would only be for my office area.

I currently have stairs as you can see in the rendering to go up and down. We were thinking of removing the stairs and replacing with the glass elevator- not so much for functionality or practicality- but because it looks bad ass. This is not the only way to get to the space upstairs. We have our main staircase just down the hallway that takes you to the kitchen and master bedroom. Likely this is the staircase I would be using most of the time.

This garage staircase is only for the garage. The cost surprisingly to remove the staircase and put in the glass elevator would only be about 10k more. By the time you remove the steel, framing, flooring etc- there is quite a bit of savings. Cons of doing this is that its more practical to use the stairs- multiple people can be in the stairs at the same time.

Pros are that it looks bad ass! Very James Bond. lol. When my builder brought this up, I said this isn't very practical but it sure does look cool. My wife looked at me and said there is no thing practical about this house. Why not do one more unpractical thing. The other advantage is that it removes the staircase and gives me more room in the garage- likely can fit another car in there. It also makes the upper level a bit more symmetrical instead of having that platform jut out.

What say the brain trust- is the glass elevator bad ass or will it get old? Just know that I really am not sure how much I would that staircase frankly. The back main staircase will be the one that gets use the majority of the time. Thoughts? Comments?

Here is what the glass elevator would look like in theory- couple of internet pics:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here is the rendering of the space- the staircase on the right would be gone- we would tuck in the glass elevator somewhere convenient.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spider68 likes this.
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You won me over when you said you can get another car in there ..seems like anything to add space wins me over .. I see your point of getting "old" ..any maintenance concerns ?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think its fairly maintenance free but as with anything, there is probably some upkeep required. I like the fact that we have more space and obviously the coolness factor of it all.

17. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I had an elevator in my house (unfortunately as the only mode of transport up and down). The home elevator has gotten a lot better, but mine had numerous issues that did leave me stuck in it a few times. Plus, if the power goes out, it won’t go up.

Obvious positive is that it is very cool. Another nice thing is if the garage is on one floor, and the kitchen is above it you can load the elevator and then the groceries don’t have to be carried up.

18. This is generally true, but even more so in this.

Listen to your goddam wife my goodman.

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have a meeting tomorrow to review budget and discuss this further. My brain says dont do this. Stairs are just better. My dick says hell yes! Go for it!

JagShergill likes this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Dude, elevator!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Here is what is holding me back. Let’s say I have a party or a bunch of car buddies over. We are upstairs in the loft and we decide to go down to see one of the cars- one at a time in the glass elevator while everyone else goes around to the main staircase. Or just walk down the steps to the cars with the office staircase.

This becomes even worse in a party with lots of people.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    The glass elevator looks small… capacity?
    Can you install a bigger one?

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The one we are looking at is single person. They make a 3 person but th cost goes up exponentially. Only reason we are thinking of doing this is that it’s basically a wash of doing this or stairs. Otherwise if I go bigger with the elevator in the garage, it negates space savings and cost goes up like 75k more. Not worth it to go bigger.

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    $75k!!! Yea not worth it …
    Well if you are displaying the cars and having guests over, a single person elevator can certainly cause a log jam.
    But damn it looks cool!

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Hence the dilemma….