Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    poljav likes this.
  2. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  4. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Thanks. I find it a bit dressier than the nautilus

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I had the 5905P. Sold it to Put to funds to my 5270 as I figured I would likely not wear both. But it’s such a great piece/. I would easily pick up the steep version again.

6. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    5270 is amazing. Here’s mine, had it since it was released in 2012. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cigarzman, ronfrohock, ROMO and 8 others like this.
  7. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Cigarzman, roma1280, gabf1 and 5 others like this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Geneva Patek trip next week. Need to decide on what to take. Current inventory:

Not sure I want to take more than 2 or 3 due to safety concerns. We are spending a couple days in Athens prior.

mytoys likes this.
  10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Be VERY careful IMO !!

11. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    Obvious choice would be 5524, travel time and less recognizable than Aquanauts. I would also suggest long sleeves in Geneva because of watch snatching.

SoCal to az and mytoys like this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It does make the most sense but I’m thinking that the 5524 so common, the 5522 is more unique that might be more fun watch. But maybe I take both

13. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    Indeed, a connaisseur's choice! Nobody will notice it except at Patek's Salons. Be careful though!

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m going with a group of 10 or so customers hosted by Patek. Not so concerned about safety there but we are spending a few days in Athens with the family where all the watches will just stay in the hotel safe.

Roman456 likes this.
  15. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Switzerland has very strict import/duty regulations. Numerous YouTube and posts regarding issues during Baselworld and other big watch shows. If Swiss customs checks you, you don’t want to appear as-if you’re importing watches to resell, especially if they are not declared. Better register each reference with US Customs before travel so that there are no import/export issues. Last thing you want is a heavy fine or confiscation. Same thing with US Customs upon your return.

One 5524 should be enough for travel, IMO … not an entourage. My .02

JAM1 likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    These are personal possessions and there is nothing to declare here. The watches are for my enjoyment and use not for resale. And I’m going as an invited guest of Patek along with the other members of my group. It’s an opportunity to celebrate our hobby and passion.

poljav, ronfrohock and roma1280 like this.
  17. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Pics of the watches, please. Enjoy. The last time I was at the Geneva Salon they were kind enough to give us a tour since it was on a weekday and early enough that place was nearly empty. Afterwards made our way to the museum. My wife did buy a watch so that helped. I can't recall which floor had the "rare/unique pieces'.

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ve been to the Geneva salon. They are the most gracious, kind sales team ever. My buddies abs I had no intention of buying anything, infact we were told to buy from our local relationship.

I even got to go to the 3rd floor and try on a bunch of minute repeaters. So much fun.

I will post a bunch of pics for sure. But I’m taking my 5522 and my 5270. Everything else has been put in the bank locker. Why these 2 watches? I have multiple straps for them and will swap out steps depending on my dress code.

Hoping to pick up an allocation for a 5968 blue. Really want to try to 5270p and see how that green dial is.

Good time!

willcrook, poljav and Il Tifoso like this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Countdown to the trip! Leaving tomororw for Athens, and then off to Geneva. My one wish is to get a ton of PP Swag! :)

poljav, roma1280 and Il Tifoso like this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    4 days in Athens and Santorini with the family done. Tomorrow wife and daughters head off to Rome. I go to Geneva to start the real trip. Patek here I come!!

Il Tifoso and Roman456 like this.
  21. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    Enjoy! Do you take advantage of your stay to visit VC, Journe, AP... as well? They are all so close together!

ronfrohock likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This trip is hosted by Patek so not this time.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is the most epic trip I’ve ever been on in my life. I’ll post more when I can from my computer but spent the last 3 days with a small group of enthusiasts and the sales direction for all of the US. Couple of observations:
    • They have gone from 150 us ADs to 60 in the last few years. More closings coming.
    • It’s going to become more difficult, Not easier to get a Patek.
    • Every Patek is finished by hand
    • It takes 4-6 months to make each dial. That’s not design, that’s production of every single dial-4-6 months per dial.
    • The new PP6 building is insane
    • The dials are made in a separate factory away from their Geneva headquarters.
    • They (PAtek) don’t consider the Nautilus anything special.
    Lots more to share. Tomorrow we get to try on any piece we want. I’m tired, I’m excited and I have no interest in any other watches as a brand other than PAtek anymore.
    I’m going all in on the brand.

mchas, poljav, Roman456 and 2 others like this.
  24. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    This is a dumb question, but can you buy a watch there during your tour ?

MDS

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No. But my AD and the director of Sales for the US and hiss team know my wish list. I have a feeling an allocation will become available.

mikesufka likes this.