Speeding Ticket | FerrariChat

Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by rocket50, Jun 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Well. After 3 years of Ferrari ownership, I got my first speeding ticket today. 73 in a 55. The officer was driving in the other lane and said he got me. Haven't had a ticket in a long time but I was last under the impression that for radar to get you, he needed to be parked. Is this no longer the case? Just trying to see if I can get out of it someway. Thanks.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    They've got all possibilities covered. For many years now, they have been able to clock you forwards or backwards while they are moving either with you or approaching you from the other direction.

rocket50 likes this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    73 in a 55? That's not fast by Atlanta standards. I'd bet that if you were in an ordinary vehicle, it probably would not have happened.

Wikdstrate and rocket50 like this.
  4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They have you buddy - Modern radar can nail you with the police car in motion going the same or opposite direction as well as stationary. Not sure about Nashville/Tennessee but in Colorado there is usually an option to just sign the ticket pleading guilty and mail in the fine with reduced points and reduced fine and no court appearance. That is your best bet - you are not going to beat it in court so unless your license is on the line it is not worth the cost and time of taking it to court or hiring a lawyer. If they give you a mail-in plea option just take it.

In Colorado you pretty much have a 10 MPH "buffer" before they will pull you over - and as previously stated if you were in a white Jetta you probably would not have been pulled over - Sucks but is what it is - :cool:

rocket50 likes this.
  5. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks guys. Never hurts to ask.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong :oops: :D

IF you have the time, plead NOT guilty, go to court, see prosecutor well before actual court time (normal thing), you may be offered to 'make a donation to Toys for Tommy' or similar and ticket is nolled. :)
    especially for something so minor. Do some google searches for your state. 'how to handle traffic/speeding ticket'. Good luck

430jm and bball16 like this.
  7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you look on Google, you'll probably find an attorney that will represent you in court and make a deal for you. I went to the courthouse one time to get a ticket dismissed and it literally took all day, 99% of which was waiting for my turn. So hiring someone to wait for you is actually very cost effective. The attorney told me that he could get any ticket (except school zone) under 10 mph dismissed, and under 15 would be court costs and no points. This is Memphis and the laws are pretty loose here. Your mileage may vary.

Island Time, bball16 and BJK like this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    So, get to court early. ;) (there will probably still be a line with 'regulars') Wait to speak to prosecutor before court begins. Literally took 2 minutes for something simple.
    Skip the excuses, they've heard them all. (but have one ready anyways) :D

VAF84 likes this.
  9. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    First time I drove…the actual first time driving my 488, was on 515 from ATL to Blue Ridge, I was pulled and ticketed. I haven’t found too many lenient officers in GA.
    I unfortunately have a heavy foot :D

10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I used to request to speak to the prosecutor when I showed up on my court date to ask for deferred adjudication. It meant I paid the fine, I didn't have to plead guilty so it wasn't on my record, and I was on probation for a year. Recently, I just don't have the time to mess with it, so the one in Kentucky I found a lawyer local to the courthouse I would have to pay the ticket at, and paid him about $200. As I expected, he was able to get me off with those $200 bucks and I just had to make sure not to get another ticket for a year.

For me, I just don't want it on my record for insurance purposes, not to mention in case I get second ticket. Part two of that, is I don't want to take the time to do the defensive driving to get it off my record. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Island Time and EastMemphis like this.
  11. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    With all due respect, this is terrible advice!

Plead not guilty, pay a small fine and nominal lawyer fee for a reduced, non moving traffic violation. You do NOT want points on your license.

12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If that's possible I totally agree- In Colorado there is not a "no point/non moving" option usually- it is fewer points- they used to have a 0-point defective vehicle option for very minor offenses like less than 10 over- and if there is one it will be a mail-in option- Getting a lawyer and going to court does nothing but waste time and money- There is nothing for the lawyer to attack-

At least that's the way it is here- Every state is different- Cheers :)

13. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    A lawyer would probably tell you your options over the phone at no charge. Worth a try.

TN has a driver’s course on the computer that helps reduce incrimination. (And points in many cases…IE…”probation”)

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You have to be parked to use a laser

15. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    So today, the officer calls me from his cell phone to tell me the court date and time have changed. Seems unusual. Any way to work that out? Never had an officer call me before.

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    On his cell?

Did he use his first name too?

Both of those STRONGLY suggest scam.

rocket50 likes this.
  17. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Easy enough to check that w the court...

rocket50 likes this.